PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else collect vintage Disneyland items?

Christiii
01-19-2003, 04:35 PM
Just wondering, since its my weakness..I dont have tons of things, but I do have a little shrine of Vintage Disneyland items at my office that I call my Happy Place...my co workers roll their eyes, but they all are interested!!
I LOVE ebay!!
Ive found some really neat things there...I got an old menu form the disneyland hotel..they oe that was a mask of Mickey Mouse from the 60's (I just used to looove those when I was a kid!!), anyway, it is in perfect condition and was only about 10 dollars!! Also just got a huge old map from the early 60's, which even shows the old disneyland hotel..an the Haunted Mansion as an attraction that is comming. Ive got a complete ticket book, a bunch of other fun old things....Im now looking for a really neat old Mickey Mouse watch from the 30's or 40's.

MouseWife
01-19-2003, 06:29 PM
Oh, I love all of the Vintage things.

I don't actively collect anything right now {except bills.....} but
if something falls into my lap, I grab it up!!!

Something that I would do if I had time would be to walk around the swap meet on the weekends and stop at yard sales. People get rid of things that are absolute treasures.

Good luck finding the watch!

Lost Boy
01-19-2003, 07:21 PM
I love collecting old Disneyland things. I have tons of old map books, ticket books, postcards and pins from the early days. I have framed a lot of them for display and placed others around the Christmas Display I have set up. Good luck with that watch.

A lot of old stuff can also be found at the Disney Conventions that we have out here about 3 or 4 times a year. Most are within easy walking distance from the Park, or a short bus ride for the big one in July. That's the NFFC one and it's about a mile south of the Park. I go almost every year, and if you hunt you can find stuff.

FoodLover
01-19-2003, 09:06 PM
I do! I collect paper items from the 50s and Disneyland toys and games from the 60s. A few of my favorites:

- Working 1960s Disneyland model railroad set, with the ES Marsh locomotive, Santa Fe & Disneyland cars, etc.

- toy Disneyland Omnibus

- Disneyland tabletop pinball machine

- large metal serving tray with the original Disneyland map printed on it (even shows the Mickey Mouse Club circus tent that closed in January 1956) and four matching small "tip" trays, each depicting a different land

- lots of 1950s postcards, including ones for Monsanto's Hall of Chemistry, Kaiser Hall of Aluminum Fame, etc.

- a complete 1950s Santa Fe & Disneyland RR ticket, with six stubs good for transport from Main St to Adventureland; Adventureland to Frontierland; Frontierland to Fantasyland; Fantasyland to Holidayland; Holidayland to Tomorrowland; Tomorrowland to Main St

Must... stay... away... from... eBay... :D

Mary

doppio
01-19-2003, 09:23 PM
I have started a pretty good collection of Disneyland ashtrays. Sounds kinda odd but really cool since they don't make em' anymore.

idesign
01-20-2003, 10:50 AM
I collect too, but have really cut back to only the few things I just HAVE to have. My greatest find is a complete set of the paper record set from the early 50's. It has Mickey and the gang going through the lands eack on it's own paper-backed plastic record. Just wonderful.. each character narrates the rides annd such.

I also have a large glass cup that has got to be very early. It has a silk-screen of the castle and the disneyland logo . I have never seen it in a book or website. Anyone know about it? The colors are in pink and mint green from the 50's i'd guess.

And viewmaster sets.:)

Tigertail777
01-21-2003, 12:28 AM
I collect mostly vintage paper items...I keep trying to find one of my holy grail items: one of the original SEPERATE charge tickets to the tiki room, and a ticket my family used to once have, but I have never seen again: a pirates only ticket that had the picture of the pirates from the pole as you enter. I cant even find any info on this particular ticket...I'd like to at least know what it is I am looking for? And yes, I agree.... ebay is extremely dangerous!:D I have most, but not all of the Mattel musical map records someone else mentioned, and now that I have the equipment am going to put them on cd...they are indeed very cool!

Not Afraid
01-21-2003, 07:36 AM
I collect mostly paper (maps, brochures, lobby cards, tickets, postcards, attraction posters, artwork). I also have a small collection of ceramics (plates, tea cups, figurines). I have started collecting vintage DL charm bracelets. I've gotten some pretty cool pieces off of ebay.

I've put most of my ebay buying on hold for now. I've gotten most of the brochures I want except for the 2 elusive, and expensive, ones - the "in color" and "Summer 1969". I'll get those some day.

YellowMan
01-21-2003, 02:02 PM
I would like to start collecting vintage Disneyland items (the closest thing to vintage Disneyland I own is an unopened dinner mint from the Monorail Cafe at the Disneyland Hotel, before the cafe was demolished for Downtown Disney), but being the college student I am, I don't have the money right now to buy things to add to my collection. I do however really enjoy looking through Ebay every once in a while in hopes of finding some really neat vintage Disneyland item.

LLevy
01-21-2003, 04:02 PM
I found a "rotating" map of Disneyland, that someone in the family picked up. It has the names of the rides on the big rotating wheel, and when you turn it, the red dot shows through the hole in the map where the ride is.

Kind of cool.

Then theres my favorite coloring book, which follows Donald and Co. on a trip to the park, showing all the various lands and rides.

I'd love to find that again for my neices and nephews.

Linda