PDA

View Full Version : Closures at Disneyland Magic Kingdom

DisneyDustin22
01-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Hey all, whats the deal with the closure of Space Mountain for such a long time? What exactly are they doing to it? Personally, they'd might as well just close down all of tomorrowland if they close space mountain...what could they possibly do to the ride that is going to take months on end? any info would help...id like to get in a last few rides on it before it goes down for a while....later all

DisneyGuy03
01-19-2003, 05:16 PM
This has been discussed a few other places, but I don't think there's much on this board, nor much of a consensus as to exact details, but there is some things that are undisputed:
1. The entire track is being replaced.
2. We will get new rockets

Now the details about what will be done to the track is where there are discrepncies, but the best information that I have heard is that there will be 2 loops installed, as well as using a launch system similar to Screamin' and will use part of the Magic Eye Theater (aka Honey I Srunjk the Audience) the last part is still up in the air, also there are rumors going around that space mountain will use part of the rocket rods/people mover track for launching.

Darkbeer
01-19-2003, 05:24 PM
The last I heard, the track will simply be replaced with the same layout. There will be no loops, as that would require major buildings renovations. Looks like the budget folks at TDA are just going for the bare minimum, which is replacement of the track due to the fact that the current track is in poor condition. The new rockets are supposely already made and waiting the new track, also a financial decision, they decided it was cheaper to build new, then to retrofit the old rockets with all new parts.

I have also read that while they looked into the magnetic launch, once again, it would require too much retrofitting, and was decided to keep the current system.

MonorailMan
01-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer

I have also read that while they looked into the magnetic launch, once again, it would require too much retrofitting, and was decided to keep the current system.

Too Bad! I was hoping that lift hill #2 would be a little bit more exciting, they could start it out slow, and get fast at the top. Oh well. :mad:

tabacco
01-19-2003, 08:15 PM
I'd just be happy if they could keep the light beams spinning on lift 2 :)

I've only seen it work once in the last 2.5 years.

DisneyGuy03
01-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Actually, the latest news is that they are changing the track, we just don't know how......the most popular among the CMs that I talked with are that two loops will be installed (I would bet only one) and the lauch part.

MetalliKitty
01-19-2003, 09:40 PM
All I want is for the audio to work *every single time I ride*.

And if I have to wait almost a year, to get that, okay. Till then I will just have to watch the nifty Space Mountain mpeg thingy Laffite made.

(and be a pain at DCA, waiting to get a California Screamin' train that has a pretty green light lit up on its back end...)

DisneyGuy03
01-20-2003, 09:02 AM
You know, on California Screamin' I think in the past month I have only gotten one car that the sound didn't work on. (It was working on the rest of the train, just not the row I was on)

Space Mountain, the sound never seems to be working.

HBTiggerFan
01-20-2003, 09:47 AM
The popular rumors I am hearing are a general track replacement with the new track being in the old layout. Loops and magnetic launch will take a major retrofit of the entire building.

I know the building is big, however I do not think it is big enough for one loop, let alone two and a magnetic launch.

IndyBones
01-20-2003, 09:54 AM
The new rockets are supposely already made and waiting the new track, also a financial decision, they decided it was cheaper to build new, then to retrofit the old rockets with all new parts.

I've seen the new purple rockets around backstage for several months now. They dont look like they have shoulder harnesses of any kind, they just look like new incarnations of the originals.

Darkbeer
01-20-2003, 11:17 AM
Marcie's Corner for January 20, 2003: The Golden Anniversary (http://www.mouseinfo.com/columns/marcie/20030118/index.php) - MouseInfo.com, 1/20/03

Space Mountain is the surviving candidate for a major upgrade. In fact the entire track will be replaced with updated technology and material that should greatly improve the ride experience. However the layout will remain the same.

Ghoulish Delight
01-20-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
You know, on California Screamin' I think in the past month I have only gotten one car that the sound didn't work on. (It was working on the rest of the train, just not the row I was on)

Space Mountain, the sound never seems to be working. They have consciously turned the sound system off on Space Mountain. It was hastily retrofitted to the old rockets and was unreliable at best. The decission was made that it was better to simply axe it until the new rockets are installed rather than wasting effort bandaiding a system that will never work properly that is only going to be replaced.

And where are you getting this "latest news" about two loops. Do you have any references. The link Darkbeer provided says otherwise, and Al Lutz's (http://miceage.com/allutz/al122302a.htm) info concurs. I take neither report at face value, but seeing two independent sources with corroburating stories certainly lends creedance to it. If you have can point to a source that says otherwise, that would be good news indeed, but I'll believe it when I see it.

RStar
01-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
The popular rumors I am hearing are a general track replacement with the new track being in the old layout. Loops and magnetic launch will take a major retrofit of the entire building.

I know the building is big, however I do not think it is big enough for one loop, let alone two and a magnetic launch.

Actually, the building is bigger than it looks. Also, there is so much waisted space in the upstairs area. The top level of Starcade, the area that was the Tron part of the People mover ride along with that back coridor, and the balcony queue area can all be used for a new loading area. Or the Rocket Rods loading area and track could be used. This would free up the area currently used for loading, which would greatly increase the ride space inside the building if they gutted the whole thing. The new launch and loading area would be costly however. I don't see them springing for that much.

But who knows? We can dream, right? I would love to see the external launch like Paris has.

And would a LIM system really take up more space?

DisneyGuy03
01-20-2003, 03:41 PM
No, a LIM wouldn't take up any more space, lims work on basic electro-magnetic technology, you simply have a series of elctro-magnets, that are activated in order, thus providing forward motion (you could potentially do it in reverse and go backwards as well)

The existing track could be retrofitted with LIMs, it's just that it wouldn't be going up hill is all.

Really, this isn't that hard of a thing to do.