PDA

View Full Version : Plants

Pages : [1] 2

kerrystevenson
09-04-2009, 06:40 AM
I heard you can eat all the plants in tomorrow land. IS that true?

houseofmouse
09-04-2009, 07:19 AM
I don't know about actually eating the plants, but in Tomorrowland I have seen strawberries. I have heard there are raspberries too but have never seen them. The strawberries were by Innoventions in the planter. I have never eaten any though.

Escape2Disney
09-04-2009, 07:33 AM
I have the wonderful opportunity to meet with a Disney horticulturist during our upcoming trip! As part of the conference I'm attending, a group of us gets 45 minutes with him/her to explain the landscaping in the park.

I'll be sure to post the details in my trip report!

candles71
09-04-2009, 07:53 AM
I heard you can eat all the plants in tomorrow land. IS that true?

Part of the "vision". (can't remember if it was Walt's or not:|;))

I noticed the Strawberries first. Then this last trip I really paid attention. Artichokes, basil, lettuce....Ok my brain just went dead I can't remember what all. someone last year got a lemon and kumquat (I think) with permission and planted the seeds at home. You can read that thread for more on the plants. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=125420&highlight=lemon+disneyland)

bennette
09-04-2009, 08:00 AM
There are many edible plants in TomorrowLand's landscaping. Lots of herbs; usually a number of vegetables, such as peppers and artichokes; apple, pomegranate, and citrus trees. There are frequently strawberries and there's supposed to be a persimmon tree although I'm not sure I know which one it is.

It's fun to see what you recognize or a good way to teach your kids if they've never grown anything. Some of them are clipped or espaliered into fancy shapes so you have to look for them.

I don't think I'd eat them, though. Disneyland keeps their gardens perfect but I don't think organic! We also tend to see mice (and cats) there, having the occasional nibble. :)

daveywest
09-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Its my understanding that all plant life in TL produces something edible by humans. Like others have said, you can find lemons, cabbages, lettuce, herbs and others.

kerrystevenson
09-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Are you going for the Homeschool Conference?

kfreak
09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes all the plants in Tomorrowland are edible. That is the way that Walt wanted it, and they have kept it that way.

disneylandgirl
09-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I always notice the lettuce/cabbage. :p

quackinup
09-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Last month I took a picture of these peppers are along the line into Buzz Lightyear. As a fan of Farm Town on Facebook all I could think when I saw them is "I wonder if they will let me plow too?" (if you don't play Farm Town that will mean nothing to you) :p

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/quackinup/IMG_0514.jpg

beanie0505
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Last month I took a picture of these peppers are along the line into Buzz Lightyear. As a fan of Farm Town on Facebook all I could think when I saw them is "I wonder if they will let me plow too?" (if you don't play Farm Town that will mean nothing to you) :p

That's hilarious! I can see where that game can get you thinking like that :)

houseofmouse
09-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Too funny. I have seen those and never thought about them being peppers! duh!
Guess I should pay more attention next time.:)

Rockchalker
09-04-2009, 12:58 PM

How about FarmVille? 'Cause I was thinking the same thing! :p

mechurchlady
09-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Farm Town is far better than Farm Ville which is a Zynga copy of Farm Town. I would stay away from Zynga games as they are a new company that has be sued for copying Mob Wars. Catch me on Face Book some time. Also Farm Ville has far less to offer, no social interaction like Farm Town, no encouragement to help others and work which Farm Town players get the most out of the game by working for others, and Farm Ville goes out of sync constantly, pain in the neck.

I love the picture of the peppers and you should post more often your photos.

DisneyFunFamily4
09-04-2009, 03:23 PM
has anyone noticed the new avocado trees that they just put in around the big ball in front of the entrance to space?

quackinup
09-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I love the picture of the peppers and you should post more often your photos.

Yeah, but maybe next time I can keep my finger out of the picture. :~D The line was moving and I guess I rushed it a bit. I'm hoping to take a lot more pictures on my next trip. I carried my camera every day last trip but rarely pulled it out.

Escape2Disney
09-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Yep! Are you?

Are you going for the Homeschool Conference?

DizneyMommy
09-06-2009, 07:05 AM
All of the plants in Tomorrowland are EDIBLE - that does not mean you CAN EAT THEM. A little different. I don't think Disney would appreciate your snacking on the landscaping, plus they used reclaimed water and lord only knows what kind of pesticides.

BlkPearlCptn
09-06-2009, 08:10 AM
All of the plants in Tomorrowland are EDIBLE - that does not mean you CAN EAT THEM. A little different. I don't think Disney would appreciate your snacking on the landscaping, plus they used reclaimed water and lord only knows what kind of pesticides.

When the plants first began producing, there were CM's around that would tell you about all the plants and then pull off samples for people (and themselves) to taste. (I guess the CM's ate them to prove that the plants were edible.) I remember being handed different samples, along with my family and other guests. Haven't ate any since that one time though and haven't seen the CM's that explained about the plants in years.

leota's necklace
09-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Yes all the plants in Tomorrowland are edible. That is the way that Walt wanted it, and they have kept it that way.

This is the first I've heard Walt's name invoked as the reason for the edible landscaping. Do you have a source?

kfreak
09-06-2009, 02:02 PM
This is the first I've heard Walt's name invoked as the reason for the edible landscaping. Do you have a source?

I forget exactly where I had seen it, but it was Walt's vision of the future. If I remember right he felt that we would begin doing it as room would become less and less to grow food. This is all if I remember right. I do know that he wanted the plants to be edible though.

charpaul
09-06-2009, 02:36 PM
The edible plants were part of the "new" theme for Tomorrowland in 1998 (the same year/redo where the Astro Orbitor was moved to the front of the land).
The theme is AGRI-FUTURE (you can see a sign with that saying on the train route on your way from Fantasyland/ToonTown station on your way to Tomorrowland Station - it has the "American Gothic" - farmer and wife on it).
The concept was to use ONLY edible plants (as much as possible) in the new design. The idea was that in the future, urban areas would begin to use agriculture/horticulture to help provide fresh food to city residents.

To my knowledge Walt NEVER had any hand in this decision.

Today, only about half the plants used in the landscaping are edible. Still a lot in my opinion.

Agri-future won out over the Sci-Fi future look that they have in WDW and the VERY modern Sci-Fi-Tech look that they have in Tokyo Disney.

Part of the Agri-future look also incorporated the "Discovery Island" look used at Disneyland Paris. That was all the copper, earth tone colors that came in at that time.

kfreak
09-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Let me check my facts and get back to you on if it was Walt Disney's idea or not. I think I am right though.

DizneyMommy
09-06-2009, 04:14 PM

I believe I have heard that as well from a CM on the train as we went around.

quackinup
09-06-2009, 05:23 PM
The edible plants were part of the "new" theme for Tomorrowland in 1998 (the same year/redo where the Astro Orbitor was moved to the front of the land).

Although it doesn't say that specifically a book I have leads me to think the same.