PDA

View Full Version : HA/GAC entrance questions and a vent

Teddi
09-03-2009, 12:37 PM
So my twin's new favorite Disney movie is Roger Rabbit (thanks to the Netflix Xbox queue) so when my parents took the kids down in July they were so excited and now Roger Rabbit is one of the new favorites. So when I on a whim decided to upgrade myself to an AP (really on a whim on a tuesday @ 1 pm)... well we (me and the three kids) were at Dland the next day and we each got to pick ONE thing and of course C picks RR.

I did have my GAC for C (stroller = wheelchair), and we got to toontown, it was closed BUT it has a relatively short line formed outside closed doors- everyone was insistent it was reopening very soon. Nevermind a ton of rude folks who just pushed right past when it finally opened- the FP machines were totally down, as was the ride wait time sign. I didn't even realize @ first that it was a duo line (I have been on Roger Rabbit once before circa 1995) and apparently the left side is the fast pass and the right not.

Well in the crush of things I ended up on the left side, but then the CM gave me a dirty look even though I showed the GAC and had me wait and then had us do this turn to the right (up by the loading area to wait, which was where they had another WC party). So my question is, where is the HA or is that line considered HA accessible?

When we go in December, it will be our first time as our girls have just crested the 40" marker. I *doubt* they will do Space Mt but they will be with us waiting, (so we could do a "baby swap"). How would we do that? Can we take the stroller in the regular and/or fastpass lines? I presume we can't take the stroller into Spash either or BTRR?

The vent is not directed @ Disney, but rather Knotts. I read extensively their rider safety guide and called and I really just can't believe their policies on "accessibility". I so appreciate that Disney's GAC/HA doesn't make us have to split up our family. At Knotts, the disabled person and ONLY 1 other person has to wait in a different area while everyone else waits in the regular line. Ok... so great.. I have 2 four year olds I explained- my husband and son will want to go off for a while to do some of the "big rides" and I was thinking I'd do something like the stagecoach/mine ride with them etc... the best they could offer was that if I explained my situation at each place they would "probably" LET me keep both my girls in the same spot. Umm. Ok, i guess it's that or we can't go since there is NO WAY I'm going to let my 4/5 yr old wait in line by herself! And am I going to have to haggle over and over this routine? Only 2 of all their attractions will allow wheelchairs in line (I didn't even ask if they allow stroller= wheelchair)

So let's say that we just all stick together the whole time (which means that me and dh/big brother miss out on a lot of rides), that will equate into quite a lot of our day having to sequester C and one parent by themselves, separated from our whole family. Really, if you think about it, you easily spend the vast majority of actual time in a theme park in LINE. What bothers me the most is that we either will have to just decide to say "forget it" and carry her, forgo an awful lot of rides if I can't split from DH (yeah I know there's camp snoopy but that's not a whole day thing) or do the rides "together" except spend all the wait time separated.

We are 5 of us doing one full day in Universal and 1 at Knotts. Then, DH and B were going to do a 2nd "not little kid friendly" day at US, while me and the girls were thinking of doing day 2 @ Knotts (I haven't been in forever and really used to like it). I'm so upset at their policy as it will pretty much be the first time we've ever be going to an amusement park and C finally notice that she's "different". Sure wait times are boring for all kids, but I KNOW she'll be upset she can't be with her "mimi" (their nickname for each other).

It just feel so anti-family. Would it really be so hard to do it like Disney does?

Malcon10t
09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
So my question is, where is the HA or is that line considered HA accessible? Roger Rabit is HA, so you go thru the regular line.

When we go in December, it will be our first time as our girls have just crested the 40" marker. I *doubt* they will do Space Mt but they will be with us waiting, (so we could do a "baby swap"). How would we do that? Can we take the stroller in the regular and/or fastpass lines? I presume we can't take the stroller into Spash either or BTRR?For "rider switch", (since the disabled won't be riding)what you will do is go to the entrance of the line, they will give you a rider switch card. The person waiting off witht he stroller will go check out the stores (at least its what I do!) and when the riders come off, the person who waited will take the pass with another person and go through the FP line.

If they ride, you use the exit to those rides. Be aware, the exit is not faster, just accessible.

mechurchlady
09-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Roger Rabbit is an accessible ride which means guests are to get in the regular line and wait like everyone else. Disabled guests can use the fastpass line if they have the GAC or are obviously disabled such as using a mobility aid. I have used the regular line with a scooter and never been there when they have the FP. If a CM is rude then tell them so or ask for a lead or report it to City Hall.

I will send you a copy in a PM of an article I once wrote about the parks to help you. Yes Knott's is not as up to par as Disney for accessibillity. Sorry for your problems with them.