PDA

View Full Version : Manual wheelchair questions

nixietink
09-02-2009, 12:30 PM
These questions have probably been answered, but there are sooo many wheelchair threads!

I'm going to Disneyland next week and I had a pretty major knee surgery a bit ago. I am able to walk, but, have not been on my feet all day since surgery. I'm really nervous that I will be in pain so am thinking of renting a manual wheelchair and having my boyfriend push me. Do they rent a wheelchair to anyone or do I need to bring some sort of proof of disability? Although I think that might be illegal....I could just show my big scar, haha.

Lets say I rent the wheelchair and want to use it intermittently throughout the day depending on the pain and swelling. Is there a place that I can safely leave the wheelchair when I'm not using it?

The next question. I know that some rides have carts where you actually ride in your wheelchair. If I'm going on a ride like this that is not HCA and go through the exit, can I request to leave my wheelchair at the exit? I'm able to get up and move so would prefer to sit in an actual seat. Plus, it leaves it open for those that are restricted to a wheelchair.

Last question. Do the wheelchairs have a foot rest that can be raised so my leg can be extended straight and be kept elevated?

mechurchlady
09-02-2009, 01:03 PM
The park will not ask you for proof of your disability when you rent scooters or wheelchairs. Usually the in park wheelchairs do not have leg lifts but 5 years ago I got one with a lift for the leg but do not bet on it.

You will get a brochure telling you how to enter rides while hobbling or in a chair. You can park and walk onto rides if you prefer. For a ride like Toy Story Mania just tell them you can walk on the ride and they will not load your wheelchair.

Wheelchairs can be parked in the stroller parking area. Or you can leave the chair on the loading dock like on the Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain.

adriennek
09-02-2009, 01:55 PM
The next question. I know that some rides have carts where you actually ride in your wheelchair. If I'm going on a ride like this that is not HCA and go through the exit, can I request to leave my wheelchair at the exit?

If you are riding an attraction with a wheelchair accessible vehicle, they will ask you when you arrive "Can you transfer out of the chair?" If the answer is yes, you will not be put on that vehicle. Those vehicles are usually 'reserved' so to speak for individuals who cannot transfer.

Adrienne

Toocherie
09-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Just to add: although it is more expensive, I would recommend getting an ECV (i.e., scooter). Although I'm sure your boyfriend is a strong guy, especially when it's warm pushing a wheelchair around all day will wear someone out. And you will have more independence if you have your own "wheels"--if you are staying close by then you might consider renting either the wheelchair or the ECV from an offsite company if you are walking from your hotel to the parks. Otherwise, you cannot remove Disney wheelchairs or ECVs from the esplanade and it can be a long walk from your hotel. The two offsite companies most often mentioned are Deckert's and OC Medical (which now has a store right across Harbor from the main entrance called "Scooter Village" I believe).

Let us know if you have more questions and have a great trip!