PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland will go from bad to worse

Pony Sugrue
01-17-2003, 04:41 PM
I just realized something downright dreadful....

When Space Mountain closes from Sept 2003 to August 2004, TOMORROWLAND will go from bad to worse. SPACE MOUNTAIN was the only reason to go to TOMORROWLAND for most folks.

My friend commented that TOMORROWLAND looked like one of those old malls that used to be cool and modern in like 1975, but is now barely hanging on with over half the stores closed. I told him that the parallels are eerie. Here we have TOMORROWLAND... a "land" that used to really pack a punch with SUBMARINE VOYAGE, INNERSPACE, CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS, MISSION TO MARS, WEDWAY, CIRCLE-VISION etc... but now those "stores" are closed... and either still empty or replaced with such fodder as INNOVENTIONS or HONEY I SHRUNK THE AUDIENCE.

Without SPACE MOUNTAIN for a year, we're talking about a serious Ghost Town, folks.

9oldmen
01-17-2003, 05:34 PM
Ahh, but whose ghost town is better? Knotts', or Disney's.

hairboy079
01-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Its a crying shame what has happened to Disneyland under the rule of "Fidel Eisner" :eek: If anyone could tell me how to directly contact the company i'd be on their butts like thrill seekers on Space Mountain!!!!!!!!

napframe
01-20-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue

Without SPACE MOUNTAIN for a year, we're talking about a serious Ghost Town, folks.

Blame capitalism. Disney is doing a good job of showing us how the future will look like.

Too many stores, cars, barf colored walls and massive closures.

RStar
01-20-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by 9oldmen
Ahh, but whose ghost town is better? Knotts', or Disney's.

:D Too funny.

:crying: And sad at the same time.

At least Knott's Ghost Town is real, and on purpose.

Klutch
01-20-2003, 08:17 AM
As I've mentioned before, the pointy-headed bureaucrats at Disney are no doubt well-aware of Tomorrowland's woes. I like the old-70's-shopping-mall comparison; quite accurate. :D

I think this situation goes back to the old conflict between passion and practicality. Disneyland fans are passionate about "their" park; especially Tomorrowland. Hey, it was every 70's kid's favorite land. Nobody wants to see it look like an industrial city in a former communist block nation (also an accurate comparison?).

The pointy-heads look at the situation and numerous dollar signs appear. They shake their heads and think about the struggling park accross the entry gates. They've got a tight schedule to keep on the new park in Hong Kong; going take LOTS of cash. That EPCOT park back East is also looking dated, and people aren't exactly crowding the gates. Revenue is down. Advance bookings are WAY down. Ecomony still anemic. Possible war on the horizon. Oh, and Anaheim's Monorail? That old gray ghost just ain't what she used to be. Meanwhile, Disneyland continues to pack 'em in. With a wave of Tinkerbell's wand Tomorrowland's problems move quickly to the burner all the way in the back.

From a practical point of view, The Walt Disney Company has plenty of time to figure out exactly what to do with Tomorrowland while they focus on other issues. I think they see Disneyland like Mattel would see Barbie. No matter how many products turn out to be stinkers, they can always rely on their old standby for revenue. Like Barbie, Disneyland gets lambasted by critics and remains wildly popular with the general public. Maybe that's why Disneyland tends to see so many new policies and programs (most of them bad). It's best to try new things in a resilient environment.

Dollars to doughnuts the few Imagineers left at Disney have some great ideas for Tomorrowland. Once the pointy-heads see it as a priority, they'll take a look at those ideas. Meanwhile, why don't you take all your family and friends to Disney's California Adventure Park? Be sure to have your picture taken and buy lots of expensive meals.

80S ERA
01-20-2003, 08:31 AM
At least they could now justify their recent price increases. ;)

MonorailMan
01-20-2003, 08:39 AM
There will be only 1 good ride in TL when SM closes. The Monorail. :D ;)

DisneyFan25863
01-20-2003, 09:08 AM
Star Tours is always good :D

drjones
01-20-2003, 12:40 PM
autopia is kinda cool

MetalliKitty
01-20-2003, 09:26 PM
Riding Autopia a couple of weeks ago (believe it or not, my 37-year old Seattle WA-raised husband's first time, and he never experienced the Submarine Voyage either!!!) we happened upon a startled black cat who looked as if he or she was about to cross the tracks but had a quick change of mind upon sighting us...

Are there a lot of resident felines in Tomorrowland specifically, are they throughout the park, or was it a freak one-time DLR cat sighting? (and what do they do when Mickey shows up??:p )

Morrigoon
01-20-2003, 09:42 PM
The cats are there on purpose to control the rodent population - Mickey doesn't like the competition.

drjones
01-21-2003, 12:43 AM
a friend made a comment today about the prices of food in DL, especially the prices at Redd rocket's pizza port. When cammenting about the price of 1 whole pizza ($30), he made the comment, "well it IS tomorrowland and these are the prices of tomorrow"

DisneyGuy03
01-21-2003, 08:52 AM
When did those awful pizzas go up in price? They used to be $18 (Belive me, I remember all too well......and the pizzas there stink)

MetalliKitty
01-21-2003, 02:12 PM
Surprised to learn those pizzas are nasty...never experienced them personally, but me and hubby were noticing the good smells
coming from Redd Rockett's. I guess it is an illusion?!!:rolleyes:

Price-wise though, we would be better off picking up a medium pizza on the way and scarfing it before actually entering the park.

$30 dollar pizzas. Yuck.

Minnie1955
01-21-2003, 02:17 PM

Yeah, I realized that too. Without Space, there really is no reason for me to visit that side of the park. My boyfriend and I joke around that at least we won't have to run back and forth from NOS to TL anymore :p

DisneyGuy03
01-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Surprised to learn those pizzas are nasty...never experienced them personally, but me and hubby were noticing the good smells
Well, there is good food there, just not the pizzas (the Chicken Alfredo is great though)