PDA

View Full Version : First look: Disneyland's new Fantasmic dragon (now with video!)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

AVP
08-31-2009, 07:40 AM
After today's media preview was cancelled, Disney sent us two photos and a video of the new dragon. I'm working on the video now, but here are the photos.

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/88513-2/FantasmicDragon2-Disney.jpg
Click here to view the super-size image! (http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/88512-1/FantasmicDragon2-Disney.jpg)

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/88517-2/FantasmicDragon1-Disney.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=1eac91ce74f98870bf027575e b5e1b0b
Click here to view the super-size image! (http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/88516-1/FantasmicDragon1-Disney.jpg)

DisneylandDad
08-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Looks pretty cool! Thanks!
My daughter teared up a little and said "she is soooooo pretty but scary too"

fairestoneofall
08-31-2009, 08:35 AM
AMAZING.....now, if the public will ever be allowed to see her we might believe that she actually exists.....;)

Tony
08-31-2009, 08:48 AM
The video is now available here:
Y_QX9MFmU_c

olegc
08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
I can see the press conference now...

No, Really, it's there. See the video!?! See the re-touch, er, LIVE photos!?! Isn't it exciting?

What do they say about movies released that don't allow reviewers to see them first? I have no doubt this dragon won't fall into that quagmire - but it does make you wonder why they cancel AND they had photos and video ready a couple of hours later. Seems like they still ran the 4am test - just did not allow the Media...

fairestoneofall
08-31-2009, 09:40 AM
The boys have officially watched it four times....LOL. Can't wait to see her in person....

Drince88
08-31-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm getting more irritated with the CM that wouldn't let us get dessert seating on this coming Thursday (when I called, they said there wasn't a show that day). We did book on Friday, and since that is now the absolute first posssible 'non-work night' for her to show, it's going to be a total and complete zoo! I'm just glad we have the reserved seating (and will make sure we stay in the area so we don't get grid-locked out!)

olegc
08-31-2009, 10:13 AM
let me just say up front that this next comment is very picky - and i am sorry if anyone thinks it's lame of me to bring it up BUT....

I just watched the two video of the old and new dragons side by side.

The new dragon is a thousand times better overall EXCEPT in one cateogry.

Who in the world designed to Heimlich-like inadequate wings on the thing? IN the old show the wings (not attached to the crane I guess) spread across the entire stage - and if the dragon were a real thing you can see that the size needed for lifting it off the ground is about right (trying to immerse you so you believe,so to speak).

But the wings on this one are way up the next, tiny little things that look way under-preportioned. I know - they had to probably design it like this to fit into the underground chamber... but I just can't stop wondering what could they have done to make it more realistic?

most folks will probably not even notice. I love the ariculation and the look of the overall dragon head, neck, and body... but those wings... yikes!

Malcon10t
08-31-2009, 10:13 AM
I just booked us for Fantasmic! on Friday also. (1030p show.) PM me Drince!

HauntedKid
08-31-2009, 11:48 AM
My God!!! I`m so in shock right now....hahahaha, finally!!...(teary eye) It looks amazing!!!!!!! But when will they debut it to the public??

fairestoneofall
08-31-2009, 11:53 AM
I just booked us for Fantasmic! on Friday also. (1030p show.) PM me Drince!

SOUNDS. SO. TEMPTING. We're on such a budget for this weekend's trip though....ugh.

TowerofTerror
08-31-2009, 12:22 PM
awesome pictures of the dragon and alsoa video of the dragon. when will he debut for the public

AVP
08-31-2009, 12:45 PM
but it does make you wonder why they cancel AND they had photos and video ready a couple of hours later. Seems like they still ran the 4am test - just did not allow the Media...It is not at all uncommon for us to attend a press event, and then be handed collateral materials - including photos and b-roll - to take home. My guess is that the photos and videos were prepared for the media kit they would normally have given us, and they decided to e-mail them to us anyway.

But when will they debut it to the public??We've been told that we'll know before the dragon debuts. It won't be a surprise - it won't just appear during a show. As soon as we know, we'll definitely tell you.

AVP

OilBaron
08-31-2009, 03:00 PM
It is not at all uncommon for us to attend a press event, and then be handed collateral materials - including photos and b-roll - to take home. My guess is that the photos and videos were prepared for the media kit they would normally have given us, and they decided to e-mail them to us anyway.

We've been told that we'll know before the dragon debuts. It won't be a surprise - it won't just appear during a show. As soon as we know, we'll definitely tell you.

AVP

So, what you are saying is, is that there may be a chance she could not show up this Friday? That would be a bummer for the people who paid for PS for the same show they see all the time.

Malcon10t
08-31-2009, 03:05 PM
In my case, I don't care. I enjoy seeing the show, if Murphy appears, it will be a plus. If it doesn't, I will enjoy kicking back with friends/family and seeing the show.

AVP
08-31-2009, 03:26 PM
So, what you are saying is, is that there may be a chance she could not show up this Friday? That would be a bummer for the people who paid for PS for the same show they see all the time.I'm saying that I, personally, will not purchase premium seating until the dragon has made a public appearance.

Is it *supposed* to be out by Friday? Sure. Was it *supposed* to be out on June 11th? Un huh. We're hoping and crossing our fingers and keeping track, but at this point, there are no guarantees.

AVP

disney_leonard
08-31-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm getting more irritated with the CM that wouldn't let us get dessert seating on this coming Thursday (when I called, they said there wasn't a show that day). We did book on Friday, and since that is now the absolute first posssible 'non-work night' for her to show, it's going to be a total and complete zoo! I'm just glad we have the reserved seating (and will make sure we stay in the area so we don't get grid-locked out!)

It is still on the schedule today. I called Saturday morning and got seats for this Thursday at 8:15. I expected them to tell me they were sold out but maybe had an added show. Nope. Got seats for 8:15 with the standard warning that they are not refundable.

Drince88
08-31-2009, 04:44 PM
It is still on the schedule today. I called Saturday morning and got seats for this Thursday at 8:15. I expected them to tell me they were sold out but maybe had an added show. Nope. Got seats for 8:15 with the standard warning that they are not refundable.

Wow, I wonder if someone cancelled. When my sister called and got the Friday reservations (1 month prior), they told her that they were sold out for Thursday.

disney_leonard
08-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Wow, I wonder if someone cancelled. When my sister called and got the Friday reservations (1 month prior), they told her that they were sold out for Thursday.

I don't know. They say they are not refundable. Maybe you can change dates and someone did? I was real excited to get them. Now I'm hoping for Murphy to be in shape to appear. If not, I still get to see the improvements since I have not seen F! this summer.

Drince88
08-31-2009, 06:44 PM
That's kind of what I feel (about Murphy). I don't think we watched Fantasmic last trip, and that was April 08. Plus this will be Mom's first time seeing it, so we figured it was a good time to splurge. I HOPE Murphy is there, but I won't be asking for a refund if she's not.

DisneyFunFamily4
08-31-2009, 07:22 PM
In my case, I don't care. I enjoy seeing the show, if Murphy appears, it will be a plus. If it doesn't, I will enjoy kicking back with friends/family and seeing the show.

Your glass is half full!!! :) This is what it's all about!!! Hope you have a great birthday!!!

dznyphreak
08-31-2009, 10:17 PM
A friend of mine told me that Murphy did make her debut tonight! Anyone know if it's true?

Disneyland1955
08-31-2009, 10:27 PM
OMG!!!!! He is sooooooo cool!!! I am so excited for murphy to be up for pulic view!!! I cant wait. thank you so much for getting this for us!!

bennette
08-31-2009, 10:29 PM
That's kind of what I feel (about Murphy). I don't think we watched Fantasmic last trip, and that was April 08. Plus this will be Mom's first time seeing it, so we figured it was a good time to splurge. I HOPE Murphy is there, but I won't be asking for a refund if she's not.

You know, this year was our first time seeing our show in the summer (I'm just not a big fan of waiting and didn't know how to get preferred seating for many years). I'm really not sure we ever even saw Bucky (the old dragon). Just the witch on a stick. Regardless, the new show is much better than the old and much better, IMO, than the DisneyWorld version. It sure wasn't time wasted. If you are that specific on what you need to get out of Fantasmic to enjoy it, maybe you need a little more Zen in your life. ;)

That said, I'm still not sure Fantasmic will ever be my favorite. I'm a fireworks girl, number one, and those crowds give me the wiggins, even though I know how they work. Murphy or no Murphy. :eek:

dznyphreak
09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
The Register just posted about 10 minutes ago that Murphy will debut tonight! Debating if I should pack up and drive out there...