PDA

View Full Version : Security?

Pages : [1] 2

OilBaron
08-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Have you ever wondered why all the security officers at DLR are a little "seasoned"(if you know what I mean?) I have always wonder why this is. Can anyone explain this to me? Not being rude, just curious.

btw.....I know PCO (Plain Clothes Officers) are different ages.

Teddi
08-28-2009, 12:51 AM
I've never noticed this. And when in the course of Disney events, it has been necessary to see them in action, none of them were old ... in fact not even close. Vigilant and RIGHT there and fast and able to appear out of virtually nowhere on a 1 min. notice, yes.

Mom2
08-28-2009, 02:50 AM
Disney security is around at all times and you just dont notice them. I had a spill on a scooter when my son gave me a hug and his shirt got caught on the reverse and we spun backwards fast and tipped. Let me tell you those security people came out of no where and helped us up before my husband even had the chance. They were FAST! Had another experience with security years ago and trust me, there are plenty of them around.

Malcon10t
08-28-2009, 05:57 AM
The times I have seen them in action, they are of various ages. There are many in their older years, most of those are retired LEOs. Younger ones are usually retired military.

twindaddy
08-28-2009, 06:48 AM
My recent experience would not suggest they are old.

We were on main street, on the porch that I think used to be known as the "Bra Shop" letting my girls conk out in the stroller while we stake out good parade viewing spots. All of a sudden we see a mom with a toddler in her arms running past us to get to the bathroom next to Carnation Cafe. He is barfing all the way along.

So there is this huge pile of barf right in front of us, right in the middle of the sidewalk. I dont want anyone to step in it, so I grab a trashcan that is about 5 feet from the pile and put it over it. No sooner is the can out of my hand, about 30 seconds after the barf hit the ground, then a nicely dressed guy who would EASILY blend into any crowd is behind me directing people. I wonder "who is this guy?" He asks me why I moved the trashcan, and then I explain and he says "good idea!" He then realizes I am looking at him funny until he flips his collar to show his CM name tag and a see his radio ear piece (ala secret service). He radios the code barf (they had a code for it) into control, about two minutes later two uniformed security guys show up, and about six minutes after the chunks hit the ground a janiotorial CM is there going through an eloborte bio hazard process to clean it up. A short while later the mom shows back up apologizing, and we explain it has already been handled.

Other than the bag check (dont get me started), Disney security is excellent.

MammaSilva
08-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Other than the bag check (dont get me started), Disney security is excellent.

To save our resident Security lead the trouble...

bag check is NOT security...it's bag check. The CMs performing the bag checks aren't security CM's. If you want to see Security CM's hair light up call the bag check security ;)

and to add my experience, Disneyland SECURITY is everywhere, the uniformed crew are only a small part of the team and while many of them are more seasoned if you will than others, if a little one is lost who better to run to than a uniform worn by someone who looks so approachable and safe?

dlfansx4
08-28-2009, 08:28 AM

bag check is NOT security...it's bag check. The CMs performing the bag checks aren't security CM's. If you want to see Security CM's hair light up call the bag check security ;)

and to add my experience, Disneyland SECURITY is everywhere, the uniformed crew are only a small part of the team and while many of them are more seasoned if you will than others, if a little one is lost who better to run to than a uniform worn by someone who looks so approachable and safe?

Yeah, I have always been under the impression that the Security personnel with the obvious uniforms were ones that dealt with guest interaction, like you said...easily approachable, easily to identify if you have a problem. I don't seem them as the ones chasing down a shoplifter or vandal.

Promo-Man
08-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I have my own Security detail when I visit the Parks. When you look like I do when I enter the Park, before I get though the tunnel to Main Street I have Security tailing me until they verify that I harmless. I am very pleased that this happens. Most of the year I embrace my inner Santa but during the Christmas Season when I go to the Park I dress very conservative as to not draw attention to myself. As much as I would like to check out the Santa in the Park I stay away from that area, if I do run across Disney’s Santa I address him as Santa and remind him that I am his cousin Ron.

daveywest
08-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Have you ever wondered why all the security officers at DLR are a little "seasoned"(if you know what I mean?) I have always wonder why this is. Can anyone explain this to me? Not being rude, just curious.

btw.....I know PCO (Plain Clothes Officers) are different ages.

Its a term called "security theatre."

Most of the security measures you see are actually meaningless (i.e. the sign that says your home is protected by Brinks). Its the security you don't see that keeps you safe.

Like others have said, the older guys in uniform are there to be a visible friendly face.

Sesameguy
08-28-2009, 10:36 AM
He radios the code barf (they had a code for it) into control. . .Other than the bag check (dont get me started), Disney security is excellent.

That's classic. I completely believe they have a "code barf." :) Thanks for sharing. I actually came close to creating a "code barf" situation one time, but that's another story. . .

Yes, the security in the park is very good. I actually wrote a story for an e-zine a while ago about a crime taking place in Disneyland. While writing the story, I began to realize that it would be next to impossible to commit any kind of serious crime in Disneyland without being caught. I wrote the story with a sense of "disbelief," understanding that it really couldn't happen that way at all. It worked for a fictional story, but it sure wouldn't work for real.

Sesameguy
08-28-2009, 10:50 AM
I have my own Security detail when I visit the Parks. When you look like I do when I enter the Park, before I get though the tunnel to Main Street I have Security tailing me until they verify that I harmless. I am very pleased that this happens.

Thanks for sharing- I'm no fan of "being watched," but it's good to know that they're on the case even before entering Main Street (and probably even earlier!).

kfreak
08-28-2009, 11:09 AM
I know this will be bad, and sound like a huge big brother thing, but here it goes. I know someone who used to work as security for Disney, and he told me that as soon as you are coming onto Resort Property you start to be watched by cameras. The only place they cant put a camera is in the bathrooms for privacy reasons of course. Yes though you are watched, but they do it to keep you safe, and make sure that everyone is being good.

PhotoJoe
08-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Compare DL to Six Flags Magic Mountain. MM has metal detectors and serious bag checks. It's because in the 90's they had a serious gang problem and lots of trouble. DL has never had that problem. That's no coincidence or good fortune. DL does not put up with any shinanigans! I don't mind being on Mickey-Vision!

OilBaron
08-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Hmmm......

I never thought of the visible security being a friendly face. It makes a whole lot of sense to me. If I was a little kid, and I saw someone who looks like my grandparent, I would flock them.

Yes, we are always being watched by the big mouse himself. I mean come'on, DL is the world's giant human trap built by a mouse :)

twindaddy
08-28-2009, 01:24 PM

When I posted that, I more meant the bag check as a part of the whole security picture, but thank you, I didnt realize they were not security CM's.

I have no problem with the whole "you are on camera the whole time". Good, I expect to be. Its the same at walmart, target, costco, and pretty much any other large gathering place.

Dont get me started on magic mountain, I wont go there to this day because of the things that went on in the late 90's.

Maybe its better now, who knows.

dlfansx4
08-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Dont get me started on magic mountain, I wont go there to this day because of the things that went on in the late 90's.

Maybe its better now, who knows.

I'll let you know after Monday ;-) We go once every two or three years, just to ride the big coasters. I am dreading the heat, the uncleanliness and the less-than-disneylike employees. But we do enjoy the coasters.

Unlike DL, where we would go every weekend if we could, one visit to MM is usually enough for us to last at least a year ;-)

DisneyFunFamily4
08-28-2009, 09:10 PM
The times I have seen them in action, they are of various ages. There are many in their older years, most of those are retired LEOs. Younger ones are usually retired military.

THis sounds like it could be a good career choice for DH in a few year when he gets ready to retire....

foolishmortal
08-28-2009, 11:50 PM
This sounds like it could be a good career choice for DH in a few year when he gets ready to retire....

Now that would be cool!

The DD and DS LOVE the uniformed DL security!:fez: When Grr was tiny..er, one of them at PPH gave him a mickey badge sticker. DING! nice man with blue uniform = stickers! So now BOTH of them "search" for those guys/gals.LOL! Grr walks up to them and says HI! and then just stares at them, till they "get" he is after a sticker.:p

It's embarrasses MOM sometimes, but they all ways give them a big hug and a THANK YOU! so I guess it's OK.

Bad thing is he suckers our local PD into giving him stickers too! We were in a grocery store in my old home town and he saw the local Clovis PD and walks up to the guy and goes HI I'm Grr! thens just stares at him, poor guy was Hi back and then :confused:as to way Grr wouldn't budge when mom wanted him too. Then I "got" what he was doing and told the Officer that he gets a sticker from the "policemen" at Dl.
So the guys face lights up and he pulls a sticker out of his pocket for him! Was really cute seeing this young guy get on his knee to get a hug from Grr for the sticker!:crying::D

I'm very happy they are there to take care of any problems. Makes for a very happy day in the park!

DTD is the only place Dh and I couldn't find a security person. The shop with the Island stuff had a store clerk ask the Dh to go find help once, and we ended up RUNNING to the GCH to find someone to help them. I guess she called for help and no one came and she got really scared and asked us to find Security for her.
Once GCH new they called, and Dh ran back to make sure she was OK and then we fallowed and there was like 10 there by then. Made me feel better that the clerk was safe.

Did surprise me that it took us that long to find someone at 10pm after the park closed at 8.

In all I'm glad they are there!

punkyv
08-29-2009, 03:52 PM
I have my own Security detail when I visit the Parks. When you look like I do when I enter the Park, before I get though the tunnel to Main Street I have Security tailing me until they verify that I harmless. I am very pleased that this happens. Most of the year I embrace my inner Santa but during the Christmas Season when I go to the Park I dress very conservative as to not draw attention to myself. As much as I would like to check out the Santa in the Park I stay away from that area, if I do run across Disney’s Santa I address him as Santa and remind him that I am his cousin Ron.
I was looking on disneyjobs.com yesterday and they need a seasonal Santa...
:o)

kohl
08-29-2009, 04:17 PM
THis sounds like it could be a good career choice for DH in a few year when he gets ready to retire....

We keep trying to convince DH of this too. He is in the Marine's and a cop!

ChurroGirl
08-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Back in 2007 I was made an honorary security person!! By Nick the security guy! :D
All I had to do was sing, Whale of a Tale, from 20,000 Legues Under the Sea!! I got a badge and everything!

I love the security at DL, it makes me feel so much safer to "see" them when they are out! Nick, and Rich are 2 that I have had the pleasure of meeting and staying friends with.
They are all very nice people!

THANKS JO!!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-29-2009, 11:11 PM
We were in line to get pics with Pooh years ago and a fight broke out in the Splash line, just before you go in to the building. A guy in line for Pooh not far ahead of us, with his wife and kids, jumped out of line and ran over there and other came out of the woodwork. They were on that SO fast, it was AESOME! My DH was very impressed.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-29-2009, 11:11 PM

What a cool job that would be. Promo man you should do it!

Promo-Man
08-30-2009, 08:11 AM

What a cool job that would be. Promo man you should do it!

I would love to, but I taller than what they are looking for and I am a Real Bearded Santa.
Disney uses Traditional Santas with wig sets so they can have a uniform look to their Santa

9volt
08-30-2009, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't say *most* are seasoned, but the ones that you happen to notice are older because they are retired cops, or some other law enforcement profession.

On the same token, that's also the reason why most of the members of the DL Fire Department are older. Most are retired firemen, or close to retirement.