PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Disney

Pages : [1] 2

AZ Disney Lover
08-19-2009, 10:22 PM
My husband and I were in Disneyland in early June and will be going back in October. Just wondering if there was any Downtown Disney news, specifically any new stores or restaurants that have recently opened or have been announced?

stan4d_steph
08-20-2009, 12:01 PM
My husband and I were in Disneyland in early June and will be going back in October. Just wondering if there was any Downtown Disney news, specifically any new stores or restaurants that have recently opened or have been announced?The MousePlanet Disneyland Update runs every Monday. I would check that out for updates.

The most recent opening is Kitson Kids.
The new Kitson Kids store has opened in Downtown Disney. The store, the first Orange County location for the trendy LA boutique chain, offers apparel, accessories, toys, games and gifts for children. (From this update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/8913/Disneyland_Resort_Update))

Jenasweetemotion
08-20-2009, 12:38 PM
It also updated this week with this.
Downtown Disney visitors have a few new breakfast options. Napolini has a new menu of grab-and-go breakfast items, including pastries, breakfast sandwiches, cereal and specialty coffee drinks. Häagen-Dazs now serves Peet's Coffee, and opens around 8:30 a.m. to serve visitors who crave something other than the Nescafe offered at Disney-operated venues LaBrea also severs Peet's Coffee it is just another place to get it, I love there coffee.

AZ Disney Lover
08-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Love Napolini's - a slice of pizza or one of those sugary, doughy desserts is great just about any time. Nice to hear they are going to have breakfast items. And Peet's coffee at Häagen-Dazs & La Brea will be wonderful. Of course I have to have a Bailey's shake from there at least one time per visit although in June they were out of the Bailey's ice cream and weren't sure when it would be back in stock. One of the employees didn't know if they were ever going to get it again. :(

Will be checking out Kitson Kids in October - sounds like a fun place! I really miss Department 56 - used to wander around in there and usually got an ornament or something to add to the Christmas and Halloween decorations. Too bad it didn't hang in there. It will be interesting to see what else pops up.

I have always thought a Christmas store like they have in the Village in Disney World would be nice to have but I remember someone writing that it probably wouldn't work since most Disneyland goers are locals and not interested in buying for the holidays during the year whereas the visitors in DW are tourists who go there on vacation and want to bring home those mementos. I was there in March and people were loading up on Christmas stuff like crazy!

Thank you both so much for your info!!

Mom2
08-20-2009, 06:46 PM
OH NO! Department 56 is gone??!??! I loved it there too! What is in its place, the new kid place or Bippidi?

I guess I had better check the Disney site to see if Illuminations is still there.

BlkPearlCptn
08-20-2009, 07:42 PM
OH NO! Department 56 is gone??!??! I loved it there too! What is in its place, the new kid place or Bippidi?

I guess I had better check the Disney site to see if Illuminations is still there.

Illuminations is gone too. I picked up a few things at their going out of business sale last April.

Jenasweetemotion
08-20-2009, 08:10 PM

I was a little bummed that Starabilias closed, it was a pretty cool store had some odd things signed by famous people.
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is inside Disneyland not in downtown Disney.
Kitson Kids took over the former Starbilla store
Studio Downtown Disney 365 is where Club Libby Lu was.
LittleMissMatched has a store in a portion of the space where department 56 was.
I don't think anything is where Illuminations was yet.

Lots of stuff is coming and going it is hard to keep track. Enjoy!

mechurchlady
08-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Kitson's is where the old Starbillia was located in the area of RainForest Cafe. Little MisMatched is a big hit with some teens and took of the Studio 56 location.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/moreMagic/downtownDisney/shopping/detail?name=StudioDisney365ShoppingPage
This summer saw the addition of Studio 365.

At ESPN Zone on the south side as you head to Compass Rose there is a pottery painting site. I saw about 5 families painting pottery there on mom and my trip to the hotel.

AZ Disney Lover
08-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Thank you all for the information! Really looking forward to going back in October - love the Halloween theme with pumpkins everywhere! Can't wait to see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, especially Kirk Wahl (Billy Elvis) - he just cracks me up!!!!

It will be interesting to see if there is any new stores or restaurants in DD at that time. Bailey's shake at Haagen Dazs here I come!!![/B]

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-25-2009, 11:08 PM
I believe Basin is in the spot that Illuminations was in. It is a really fun store with tons of homemade bath products!

cstephens
08-26-2009, 02:54 AM
I believe Basin is in the spot that Illuminations was in. It is a really fun store with tons of homemade bath products!

Actually, unless they've moved, Basin is across the way from where Illuminations used to be. Basin is on the same side as Haagen Dazs and Wetzel's whereas Illuminations was on the side where Ralph Brennan's and the Vault are.

mechurchlady
08-26-2009, 03:13 AM
Correct on the location of Basin. The only spots that look open to me is the area just east of and in the same building as Mismatched plus the old Illuminations store location. The place was busy last night.

To me Kitson's is an overpriced Sunset House catalogue. I am old and some of you kids may not remember the jam packed Sunset House catalogues. It just felt like stuff I would get at a swap meet or cheap item store. I tried hard to find something. One cute little girl sized dress was $125, faint.

Sansarc
08-27-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't quite understand The Vault.. I went in there this weekend, thinking it would have some interesting or hard to find Disney memorabilia, but it was mainly clothing and designer accessories (jewelry, belts, purses, etc.). The sales help ignored me (was I too old?!!! 48?!). Some of the jewelry -- specifically, the Alice in Wonderland pieces -- were on Main Street, so the pieces at The Vault weren't necessarily exclusive to them. But the name of the store is so alluring.

Jenasweetemotion
08-27-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't quite understand The Vault.. I went in there this weekend, thinking it would have some interesting or hard to find Disney memorabilia, but it was mainly clothing and designer accessories (jewelry, belts, purses, etc.). The sales help ignored me (was I too old?!!! 48?!). Some of the jewelry -- specifically, the Alice in Wonderland pieces -- were on Main Street, so the pieces at The Vault weren't necessarily exclusive to them. But the name of the store is so alluring.

We were the same way we went in thinking it would be hard to find stuff. Most was overpriced and was not Disney, also the sales people were texting when we were there. :eyeroll:

punkyv
08-29-2009, 04:00 PM

I thought that Dept 56 just downsized & will reopen on the end (1/2 of the original store). I was there in early Aug & the Dept 56 logo was still on the bannister ironwork? Does anyone know for sure?

cstephens
08-29-2009, 04:35 PM
I thought that Dept 56 just downsized & will reopen on the end (1/2 of the original store). I was there in early Aug & the Dept 56 logo was still on the bannister ironwork? Does anyone know for sure?

Nope, store is completely gone and isn't coming back. Mismatched is there now.

AVP
08-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Kitson is where Starabilias was; for how long is anyone's guess. I haven't talked to anyone, but from my own observations of their in-store traffic - and the fact that I have YET to even see a Kitson merchandise bag - they can't be doing well.

Little Miss Matched is temporarily located in the center 1/3 of the former D56 space. The west third of the D56 space is being renovated into a permanant space for LMM, and they are hoping to move by the end of the month. They tell me their sales are slower than they hoped, but they are generally satisfied and can't wait for the new space to open so they can bring in their full product line.

Illuminations is closed, and the space still vacant. I haven't heard any strong rumors of a possible external replacement, but I have heard that Disney may temporarily operate the space as a holiday store. I've also heard the same for the 2/3 of the former D56 space.

Basin is in the same space it has occupied since the day it opened.

AVP

K & S
08-29-2009, 06:22 PM

The worst thing is that Dept 56 is in bankruptcy, they were part of Lennox China.

:(

CaptainTom
08-29-2009, 06:30 PM
when we were at Knotts last May we saw the leftovers from the dept 56 store in DTD tucked in the corner of one of the gift shops there. Not much left but the village scenes and other small pieces! Everything was at regular price with the same price tags that dept 56 had.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Wonder why I was thinking Illimunations was on the other side. hehehe Tells you how many times I went in there.

I agree on Vault. Such a weird store and not at all what I expected. I have been in their twice and both times only bought the Trumpette brand Disney socks for my DD. Super cute!

AVP
08-29-2009, 11:09 PM
The worst thing is that Dept 56 is in bankruptcy, they were part of Lennox China.

:(Both companies are still in business; D56 was purchased by Enesco, Lenox was acquired by a private equity firm. Both are still producing all of their main lines.

AVP

AVP
08-29-2009, 11:11 PM
when we were at Knotts last May we saw the leftovers from the dept 56 store in DTD tucked in the corner of one of the gift shops there. Not much left but the village scenes and other small pieces! Everything was at regular price with the same price tags that dept 56 had.D56 merchandise comes pre-tagged to the retailer. ALL D56 retailers, unless they replace the tags after the shipment arrives in-store, have the same ones. (My store is a D56 retailer, and the subject of tags has been a hot one among retailers, some of whom would really prefer D56 DIDN'T put MSRP on the boxes.)

AVP

mechurchlady
08-30-2009, 02:28 PM
I do not see Kitson lasting long in DTD. I was at Compass Rose and ESPN Zone yesterday at noon. There was nobody in Kitson Kids. The shop also reminds me of the discount clothiers in the Norwalk Square. When I am on vacation I am out to buy discounted stuff, stuff I really really want, stuff I need like a toothbrush, and stuff I cannot get at home. That does not sound like Kitson to me.

I miss the scents coming from Illuminations and have three candles unopened under my bed waiting for the person who wanted them to get them, sigh.

AZ Disney Lover
08-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Would be nice if they opened up a few more restaurants or snack-type places - more choices would be wuuuunderful!

AVP
09-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Would be nice if they opened up a few more restaurants or snack-type places - more choices would be wuuuunderful!We were so hoping that they'd open an Earl of Sandwich location where Kitson Kids wound up going.

AVP