PDA

View Full Version : Best place for ribs in Disneyland?

RStar
01-15-2003, 12:08 PM
I went to Disneyland on Sunday with my aunt (who took me to DL at least once a year as I grew up) and she had a hankering for the ribs she use to buy in New Orleans square some where. We check the two resturants there and they had no ribs.

My aunt has an AP now, so I would like to find comperable ribs in the park (DL prefered), does anyone know of the ribs she is talking about and know if anything close can still be had at the park?

Thanks!

Not Afraid
01-15-2003, 12:14 PM
I must say that the Ribs I've had at Rancho Del Zocolo lately have been really terrific. Chris especially likes it when Erma's cooking. She seems to have just the right touch.

DisneyGuy03
01-15-2003, 12:16 PM
The ribs most likely were at Big Thunder Ranch, it was on the path between Frontierland and Fatasyland, by what is/was the FOF arena. It has been "relocated" to Ranch Del Zocalo, but the ribs are no where near the quality that they used to be. For the best ribs in the resort, try Taste Pilot's Grill in DCA, sorry, but it's by far better and they do give a discount to all annual pass holders, Rancho del Zocalo doesn't give a discount to So. Cal. passholders, I don't know if that's an issue, but in case it is, it's something to consider.

CarlieB
01-15-2003, 12:21 PM
We had good ribs at Rancho del Zocalo, but I agree, they weren't as good as the ones at the Big Thunder BBQ used to be. Haven't tried the Taste Pilots Grill yet...(adding it to my list though)

Wizard69
01-15-2003, 01:40 PM
I loved the ribs at Thunder Ranch! The best ribs are at Taste Pilots in DCA.

Christiii
01-15-2003, 02:00 PM
I agree with Test Pilots!!! I dont care for ribs at all, but whenever Im there eveyone talks about the ribs at Test Pilots..You HAVE to have the ribs, best in the world, yadda yadda yadda...so I would give those a try!! Its right next to Soaring over Ca..

Sheila
01-15-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by RStar
I went to Disneyland on Sunday with my aunt (who took me to DL at least once a year as I grew up) and she had a hankering for the ribs she use to buy in New Orleans square some where. We check the two resturants there and they had no ribs.

My aunt has an AP now, so I would like to find comperable ribs in the park (DL prefered), does anyone know of the ribs she is talking about and know if anything close can still be had at the park?

Thanks!

Now I'm not saying that you're old or anything like that.... ;)

But do you think she was thinking of Don DeFore's Silver Banjo Barbecue Restaurant? It was located next to Aunt Jemina's Pancake House (now Riverbelle).

Or perhaps the Chicken Plantation (located where the Haunted Mansion stands now)??

Sheila

RStar
01-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Well, we are talking back about 20 years, but she remembered it being New Orleans, I will check with her. She said she use to get them every time she came over. But she has been in Atlanta these past 15 years.

I had heard that Zolco had them, but didn't know if they were as good. The point now is to find a good source of ribs, and comperable to the old ones. Even if they are in DCA, that's ok. I will try the ones at Taste Pilot's. Thanks.

And we all have PAPs, so the discount is less of an issue.

gn2dlnd
01-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I'll bet it was Don DeFore's. Wish I was old enough to remember eating there, I love ribs. Big Thunder used to be my favorite place to eat in the Park, Zocalo just isn't as good (and a bit more expensive). Taste Pilot's has great ribs, but my favorite ribs are at Storyteller's. They're pretty much the same as at Taste Pilot's, but, a padded booth near a fireplace and waiter service are well worth the three minute walk. You get five ribs on the appetizer menu, add a bowl of corn chowder and that's good eatin' Vern. I think it even comes out cheaper than Taste Pilot's!

hefferdude
01-16-2003, 07:22 AM
If still available, the ribs at PCH Grill / Paradise Pier Hotel are very good. Nice presentation as well.:)

RStar
01-16-2003, 10:34 AM
Her description sounds like it was located where French Market is now. But with the addition of the space past HM in creating Critter Country, she could be issplacing it.

So does anyone remember eating the ribs at Don DeFore's? I have never heard of the place. I thought Aunt Jemima's WAS Riverbelle. If so, have they tried anything in the parks recintly that may be close? Sounds like Taste Pilot may be the closest. I want to keep it in the parks, as I can go to a resturant any time. It's the atmosphere that's most important (and probably what made those ribs so good for her in the first place!

Thanks!

DisneyGuy03
01-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Well, Taste Pilot's definitely won't have the same atmosphere as the place she ate at, if you really want a good atmosphere, I would reccomend Story Teller's, yes it's at the hotel, but it does seem like it would have a great atmospher, but I haven't ever eaten there. And you can enter and exit from the Grand Californian Ext at DCA, just ignore the sign that says it's for hotel guests only, it's wrong, it's only for hotel guest and annual passholders and those that have already been in the park tsome point during the day. They have the nicest CMs in that area and truly the Grand Californian has a lot of atmosphere of it's own.

Inside the park, I would go for Tase Pilots....I have tried the BBQ food at Rancho Del Zocalo and I was very unimpressed.

Duane
01-16-2003, 10:52 AM
If you go to the Rain Forest Cafe in Downtown Disney, you will absolutely love their ribs! I am not sure about inside the Magic Kingdom but Rain Forest is out of this world.

Sheila
01-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by RStar
So does anyone remember eating the ribs at Don DeFore's? I have never heard of the place. I thought Aunt Jemima's WAS Riverbelle.

I guess my last post was not worded clearly enough. :( Yes, indeed, Aunt Jemima's was where Riverbelle is today.

DeFore's was located directly east of Jemima's, approximately where the "Laod Bang" building is now, if I recall correctly. But I'll need to look over some historical photos to verify that.

Sheila

Sheila
01-16-2003, 11:54 AM
UPDATE!

Just finished looking around at yesterland.com and found the picture of where the Silver Banjo was located:

Silver Banjo (http://yesterland.com/silverbanjo.html)

Sure looks like it was at the Riverbelle location, doesn't it?

Rstar, does this jog your memory?

Sheila

RStar
01-17-2003, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the interesting info, Sheila. I love hearing about DL history, and have loved that site for years. I missed that resturaunt info. I do remember Casa de frito, but thought it was in the site that is now Zolcato (or what ever-I hate the new name).

But no, it doesn't jog any memories, it closed when I was just 2. That would make my aunt only 11. So I'm pretty sure that's not the resturaunt (great guess though, everyone!:) ).

I would think we are talking about ribs that could be obtained during 1970-1980. Any rib eaters from that time period out there?

gn2dlnd
01-17-2003, 11:11 AM
I do remember short ribs with bbq sauce being served at the Plaza Pavilion, 1980 is when I was a sweeper in the Park. I wonder if the French Market had them too? That's the only place that was likely to have them in N.O.S.

I think I'm going to drive down and eat ribs at Storyteller's for lunch before I do my show tonight. Too much talking ribs, not enough eating ribs.

RStar
01-17-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by gn2dlnd
I wonder if the French Market had them too? That's the only place that was likely to have them in N.O.S.

Yes, I thought that too, but if they did they don't know. That's where we checked first.

And now I'm back where I started. And no ribs.:crying: I think I'm going to try Taste Pilot's or Storyteller's at this point.

Thanks.;)