PDA

View Full Version : Change in Disney Visa benefits (Disneyland stroller rental)

Pages : [1] 2

currence
08-14-2009, 10:57 PM
I know that they always reserved the right to change benefits without notice, but we were caught off guard by a recent change in policy regarding stroller rentals.

Previously, any Disney Visa cardholder at Disneyland could rent two strollers per day for free. This was a great benefit, even before we had kids, if we were with someone who had kids and decided they needed a stroller but didn't bring one (I'll get it for you :)).

Effective 8/13 (according to the CM I spoke with) the policy has changed such that stroller rentals are now 1/2 off ($6). Once I got home, I confirmed this with the Disney Visa Rewards website (http://disneyrewards.disney.go.com/cardbenefits/disneylandresortbenefits.html). It doesn't look like any other benefit has changed.

Rockchalker
08-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Trying to think positive, but this really bugs me. :mad:

mechurchlady
08-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Too bad they do not offer discounts for wheelchairs and ECVs. I can get half off now or in old days $12 in strollers but nothing for mobility aids. Probably from the over use of a nice perk is why they changed it.

TikiTiki
08-15-2009, 02:42 PM
This is the Chase Disney Visa, correct? I was considering getting it because of the trip financing but after reading another thread about the Chase Visa and with this new development, I think I've pretty much talked myself out of getting the card now. Shame.

cstephens
08-15-2009, 02:58 PM
One other change we were told about today. For purchases of $50, you get a 10% discount for having the Disney Visa card, but whereas you could previously just show the card and use another form of payment (cash or check, for example), you have to actually now use the visa card to make the payment.

mechurchlady
08-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Chase Visa Disney

You get 1% on all charges to the card. Unlike some cards that let you use your saved money any way you like the Chase people make you use the reward points on Disney stuff and some theaters I have heard. It is great if you go to parks or do not mind saving up for trips like I have about $60 so far.

They will not let you make another online payment more than once every 1 or 2 days if you use separate accounts to pay the bill. Three days if you use the same medium to pay the bill. You can pay in person at the Chase bank all you like.

Discounts are only on $50 minimum and you might as well get an AP and get discounts on meals and even shopping.

You can buy a pin, oh wow.

Stroller is now save $6 so why save money and have a comfty kids by bringing your own. You can buy one then pass it on via online boards or donate it to charity and get a write off.

Special daily meet and greet with characters in DCA. Oh wow.

cstephens
08-15-2009, 04:38 PM
You get 1% on all charges to the card. Unlike some cards that let you use your saved money any way you like the Chase people make you use the reward points on Disney stuff and some theaters I have heard.

They will not let you make another online payment more than once every 1 or 2 days if you use separate accounts to pay the bill.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to make a payment once every 1 or 2 days, much less more than that, but ok.

I love the rewards program. We used to use the Waldenbooks (now Borders) visa because it gave us reward points for free books and CDs at Borders. Once we got the Disney visa and saw that it gave us Disney reward points, we switched over to that one. We just use the visa on regular purchases, and we use the rewards for meals. We get a lot of free meals this way. It's great since we visit the parks often. I've heard of other people who use the rewards to pay for their AP or even a Disney trip.

mechurchlady
08-15-2009, 05:19 PM
I get paid on the first and third so I wanted to lower the amount on the card from my bank account then get the rewards money off of groceries.

What if you make a minimum payment then find out you have lots of money? Or maybe make a partial payment then want to pay off the minimum.

punkyv
08-15-2009, 07:27 PM
One other change we were told about today. For purchases of $50, you get a 10% discount for having the Disney Visa card, but whereas you could previously just show the card and use another form of payment (cash or check, for example), you have to actually now use the visa card to make the payment.
True...I tried to get the 10% discount and use my Disney rewards card (the points) to pay for it & they would not let me! :o( So...used my annual pass for the dining discount and then used the rewards card. Not happy!

Oh... was able to get the discount & use the card at Off The Page, though...

punkyv
08-15-2009, 07:30 PM
This is the Chase Disney Visa, correct? I was considering getting it because of the trip financing but after reading another thread about the Chase Visa and with this new development, I think I've pretty much talked myself out of getting the card now. Shame.
Still worth it. Use the rewards card for the purchase discount & the DAP for the dining discount. Just sticky when using the rewards dollars. Will use to reduce my hotel bill or food.

JeffG
08-16-2009, 12:23 PM
You get 1% on all charges to the card. Unlike some cards that let you use your saved money any way you like the Chase people make you use the reward points on Disney stuff and some theaters I have heard.

Wouldn't that pretty much be expected with a Disney-branded card? Pretty much any credit card with a brand tie-in like that only offers reward points that are related to that brand. Clearly, if you are looking for generic rewards points, you shouldn't get a branded card.

They will not let you make another online payment more than once every 1 or 2 days if you use separate accounts to pay the bill. Three days if you use the same medium to pay the bill.

I'm totally missing why this matters. Unless the card accrues interest on a daily basis (which would be incredibly unusual), how is it a problem having to wait an extra day or two to make another payment?

Discounts are only on $50 minimum and you might as well get an AP and get discounts on meals and even shopping.

Why not just suggest that everyone get a job with Disney since that provides even bigger discounts? It makes about as much sense as finding an equivalency between purchasing an AP and applying for and receiving a credit card.

Stroller is now save $6 so why save money and have a comfty kids by bringing your own. You can buy one then pass it on via online boards or donate it to charity and get a write off.

Certainly, bringing your own stroller has advantages and is something my wife and I did for several years when our son was younger. It also involves some huge hassles, though, particularly when dealing with transportation (the trams, monorails, shuttle buses, etc.) For someone traveling by air, a stroller can especially be a huge hassle if it isn't really needed at the airport. If you only need the stroller for limited amounts of time while inside the park, the rentals can definitely be way more convenient. In those cases, the $6 discount is still a nice perk, even if it isn't quite as nice as what the perk used to be.

-Jeff

mechurchlady
08-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I hae stated before why I do not like waiting to pay every three days. I use my card to accrue points. I want a $500 cushion on my card at all times for emergencies. If my card is into the cushion then I bring the balance down. I do not see why I should explain why it is silly not to be able to pay your bill as often as you like within reason.

Strollers, I was offering suggestions and what works for one person does not work for another.

As for the rewards points I was merely pointing out the difference between the Disney card and regular cards. In other words one may want to look at another card if they rather have their points used on anything they want or if they get more points and benefits.

Summation is that it is a card that is no better than any other card and some policies are not so good. Thank you for the critique.

Rockchalker
08-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Can't imagine why anyone would want to make a payment once every 1 or 2 days, much less more than that, but ok.

Maybe not every other day, but I used to use my Mickey card like a debit card. Charged everything I could on it and paid it off several times a month. I did not trust myself to let the money sit in the checking account waiting for the statement to cycle. The Disney dollars I accumulated paid for at least 50% of our last WDW trip (10 days WL with free dining.)

I am glad they still have the character meet and greet. The daughter loved the one on one time with Mickey and Goofy.

And we got great family pictures with several of the characters at the EPCOT meet and greet last September.

Nancy
08-16-2009, 05:44 PM
I check all my cards to see what the best "reward" is offered for the month. I like to use the DisneyVISA a few months before we plan to go to the Park. Currently though Discover is offering 5% for Hotels and Parks. I'm in!!!

cstephens
08-16-2009, 05:54 PM
I am glad they still have the character meet and greet. The daughter loved the one on one time with Mickey and Goofy.

I've never done it because we're never in DCA that early. We happened to be there right around opening on Saturday, and I had forgotten that it had been moved to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area. I saw the signs that advertised the meet and greet, and I saw some people sitting at the tables, but I didn't see any characters. I couldn't remember exactly what time they had this - we were there around 10:30am. We didn't stick around there very long, so I still haven't done it yet.

emmajean
08-16-2009, 08:40 PM
This is disappointing news... but I am so glad to know it now so we can plan accordingly for our next trip.
This is one more reason to add to the list of why I will not be renewing our APs for a while.

Thank you!

Rockchalker
08-17-2009, 09:27 AM
I've never done it because we're never in DCA that early. We happened to be there right around opening on Saturday, and I had forgotten that it had been moved to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area. I saw the signs that advertised the meet and greet, and I saw some people sitting at the tables, but I didn't see any characters. I couldn't remember exactly what time they had this - we were there around 10:30am. We didn't stick around there very long, so I still haven't done it yet.

Good to know the location changed, again. I think the first time we did it is was at Ariel's Grotto and then the last time, Feb. '08, it was near the Winery area.

I definitely think it is worth it

Burnt Toast
08-17-2009, 09:57 AM
There's is now a Disney Visa Debit Card that's tied to your Chase/WaMu debit account now too... but I believe the rewards accrual is 0.5%, not 1%.

candles71
08-17-2009, 11:13 AM
but I didn't see any characters. I couldn't remember exactly what time they had this - we were there around 10:30am. We didn't stick around there very long, so I still haven't done it yet.
Its starts at 10:30, but the characters are behind the wall so you could have been a little early or just not seen them through the smallish opening between the walls.

Wavesprite1
08-17-2009, 12:48 PM
You guys can complain all you want, but we're going in October and I've had my Chase Disney Visa for 3 years. I have $900.00 dollars in rewards and we're staying at the Disneyland Hotel for FREE because of it. We put EVERYTHING on the card and pay it off monthly. Chase has never received a dime of my money for these rewards.

Thank you, Chase, we'll have fun at Disney on YOU! :p

candles71
08-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Wavesprite-Yay for free money!!!

Maus
08-17-2009, 05:18 PM
You guys can complain all you want, but we're going in October and I've had my Chase Disney Visa for 3 years. I have $900.00 dollars in rewards and we're staying at the Disneyland Hotel for FREE because of it. We put EVERYTHING on the card and pay it off monthly. Chase has never received a dime of my money for these rewards.

My experience is just like yours, Wavesprite. I purchase two APs each year using my Reward dollars.

emmajean
08-17-2009, 05:43 PM

Good idea...If I keep away from Disney for a year after our pass expires and save up the rewards dollars (instead of going on disneyshopping.com) perhaps we can get our next vacation or passes paid for by our Disney Visa Cards. I'll have to make it a goal!

Crazy4DL
08-19-2009, 11:39 AM
I I do not see why I should explain why it is silly not to be able to pay your bill as often as you like within reason.

(bolding mine) Everyone has different opinons on what is "within reason". Having to wait a day or two to make a payment seems reasonable to me. I am guessing processing payments takes some expense on the cc's part and that is the reason they want you to wait a day or two.

Way to go! *high five*

sjhanksaz
08-25-2009, 12:31 PM
rrrrrrrrrrrr on the death of the free stroller rental.

We got our Disney Visa back when we were building our home and we charged a lot of things on it, appliances and some building matterials.

We took the family of 6 for 3 days and tickets and all the food cost us nothing. It was a lot of fun.

I want my free stroller back!