PDA

View Full Version : Castle Envy

Pages : [1] 2

jcruise86
08-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey Disneyland AP holders, do you ever see the beautiful castle at Walt Disney World and wish our castle were taller?

I'm not asking for 180' +,
but 110-140' would be nice.

dznyphreak
08-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I love Cinderella's Castle at WDW, but I love ours too. WDW's castle has that sense of grandeur and majesty that the huge park and property need and deserve. Sleeping Beauty's Castle is small and welcoming, just like the park it belongs to.

TowerofTerror
08-12-2009, 10:56 PM
I think are castles sizes is fine. It fits perfectly with the sizes of are park it could be a little bigger but the sizes it is just fine and dany

EmmasMom
08-13-2009, 07:33 AM
I am envious of the castle in Disneyland Paris. Gallery upstairs and Dragon in the cellar.

AVP
08-13-2009, 07:41 AM
I am envious of the castle in Disneyland Paris. Gallery upstairs and Dragon in the cellar.Yeah, but it's France. I've always maintained the DLP castle is so beautiful because they had to build something nicer than the castle(s) down the road.

AVP

jcruise86
08-13-2009, 08:05 AM
I am envious of the castle in Disneyland Paris. Gallery upstairs and Dragon in the cellar.
To me, the Disneyland Paris castle is ugly in the day and beautiful at the night, just like a. . . [simile deleted].

And the one on Tokyo is like the red version of the Eiffel Tower in Tokyo, a giant tribute to unimaginative architecture.
I like that we can identify the Hong Kong castle by the large hills behind it.
I can't tell Tokyo and WDW apart, which was a mistake on the part of the Oriental Land Company and Disney. How about replacing the Tokyo castle's blue top with red or gold?

jrsharp21
08-13-2009, 08:39 AM
I went to WDW this past April for the first time and I was in awe of Cinderella's castle. I love Sleeping Beauty's castle, but Cinderella's castle was majestic. Our park is still better though!

danyoung
08-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I live in Dallas and frequently visit both DL and WDW, so I've never had that sense of "ours" and "theirs". I like both castles, and think they're perfect in their locations. I can't imagine a larger castle in DL, fighting with the mighty Matterhorn for superiority. And the wide open spaces in WDW's MK make the taller castle there a perfect centerpiece. I like 'em both just the way they are!

houseofmouse
08-13-2009, 09:40 AM
I second what Dan Young posted. :)

Sesameguy
08-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I second what Dan Young posted. :)

I third it! :) Just as with the parks themselves, both castles have their good points.

janell
08-13-2009, 02:42 PM
I like DL Castle, its the one Walt walked through.

Another Dimension
08-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Walt Disney chose the size and look of Disneyland's castle for his own reasons.

At Disneyland, that's more than good enough for me.

jamwilson
08-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I have been to every park except Tokyo and can say that Disneyland's (California) is home for me. The other castles are wonderful in their own right but when I see Sleeping Beauty's castle I feel like I have come home.

I do agree that each castle is right for the park they are in. :)

danyoung
08-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Walt Disney chose the size and look of Disneyland's castle for his own reasons.

Yeah, the reason was that he couldn't afford anything bigger. Don't quote me on this, but I think somewhere I heard him talking about WDW, and saying that they were so limited on funds and space in DL for things like the castle, and now they have the chance to build stuff big the way he wanted.

But I don't mean to take away from DL's castle - it's beautiful all on its own.

Another Dimension
08-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah, the reason was that he couldn't afford anything bigger.

Walt liked the look of the Castle model, especially when the top was turned around backwards. So he furthered his Disneyland concepts on that look.
Walt wanted a nice, kind-looking castle.
He was quoted as saying he didn't want something that looked like a tyrant would live in.

Walt specifically, by plan; wanted walking into Disneyland and down Main Street to look like walking down into a theater towards the stage at the far end of sight. SBC is the perfect size for the buildings on Main St and the perfect size to look like 'something on a stage' at the end of Main St.

Walt knew exactly what he was doing and he wasn't about to just drop down any random giant fairytaleish-looking (yet possibly gorgeous) castle in Disneyland that could be seen for miles in every direction... just because he could.

It Walt Disney truly wanted a bigger or different castle for Disneyland, for whatever reason and completey ignoring the 'entering a theater concept...', I'm sure Walt would have sold the house and he, Lillian and the girls would have been living in a tent somewhere in Frontierland until opening. ;)
Walt really got what he wanted, as time allowed, basically.

He specifically chose the look and size of SBC for a his own creative reasons.
They weren't really over money at that point in time, and especially not concerning the parks icon centerpiece.

tod
08-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Hey Disneyland AP holders, do you ever see the beautiful castle at Walt Disney World and wish our castle were taller?

No.

I think the idea has crossed the cash registers minds of some of the higher-ups -- if those grotesque oversized squirrel rain spouts and that super-humungous compass in front of the Castle are any indication.

But fortunately the final atrocity -- defacing Disneyland so it's more like WDW's Magic Kingdom with a G*I*A*N*T castle -- has not come to fruition.

Yet.

--t
who has noticed the tyrant-like entrance to the Magic Kingdom castle that makes guests walk to the side before entering.

bennette
08-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Oh dear. I totally agree with Tod. I don't think this has ever happened before. (Close agreement, but not total.)

I hate that side entrance thing at DisneyWorld. I hate the castle looks good from a distance but is actually unapproachable when you get there. I originally thought it was something temporary. :0

And since I've already crossed the line of no return, as a Southern California girl who is used to things blooming year-round, I think the rose garden at MK isn't "all that" much of the time.

Sorry in advance.

It's not that I'm tied at the hip to the Sleeping Beauty's castle but Cinderella's castle was a let down the first time I saw it. I gave it another chance and ba-bum, nothin'.

fairestoneofall
08-17-2009, 08:20 AM

Amen to that!!

Leofoenget
08-17-2009, 09:37 AM

I'm not asking for 180' +,
but 110-140' would be nice.

I've always been told size doesn't matter :p

oregontraveler
08-17-2009, 09:51 AM

I'll 3rd that, and 4th danyoung's thought too while I'm at it :)

UsBurchs
08-17-2009, 09:51 AM
I remember the first time I saw the castle at Disneyland. My first Disney park was WDW. I had Cinderella's castle in my head when I entered Disneyland. I looked down Main street and asked my hubby, "Where's the castle?" Compared, it was so small.

BUT!!! I've learned to LOVE it. It represents magic to me. It's in front of that castle that I first watched a Disney fireworks presentation while holding my first stuffed Mickey and cried tears of joy (at age 27).

Sure, Cinderella's castle is beautiful. Grand and majestic! But, as said earlier, unapproachable! You can't really walk through it. You can have a meal there, sure, but you have to book your ADR's for that WAY out.

Walking through Sleeping Beauty's castle and coming out in Fantasyland is kinda fun.

I'm good with the way things are. There's reasons to love both and visit both. Makes each park special. :)

Vegitabeta
08-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Ain't nothin' wrong with DLP's castle through the day, it's bright pink and surrounded by square trees! ;)

On the original question though, I think it's nice to have the variety of smaller and larger castles, different colours and whatnot. It's what makes each park unique.

TikiTiki
08-17-2009, 01:27 PM

Couldn't have said it better. :fez:

Another Dimension
08-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Walking across the drawbridge, looking up at the Disney family crest, then gazing higher at Walt's gorgeous Sleeping Beauty Castle, hearing Jiminy Cricket sing "When You Wish Upon a Star" and always remembering the 1955 opening day kids all excitedly running into Fantasyland for the first time ever... is one of my all time favorite simple things at Disneyland and always will be.

Bytebear
08-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Ain't nothin' wrong with DLP's castle through the day, it's bright pink and surrounded by square trees! ;)

On the original question though, I think it's nice to have the variety of smaller and larger castles, different colours and whatnot. It's what makes each park unique.

Except Hong Kong. ;)