PDA

View Full Version : Security Bag Check

ScottC4746
08-12-2009, 05:03 AM
I am all for the security bag checks, by why don't they have a line like in customs..."nothing to declair" for those of us with nothing but the clothes on our back?

Darkbeer
08-12-2009, 05:33 AM
I am all for the security bag checks, by why don't they have a line like in customs..."nothing to declair" for those of us with nothing but the clothes on our back?

They have tried it in the past, and everytime they do, folks try to bring bags (The guest might not think a small purse, fanny bag, etc. qualifies) and some folks are just rude and claim they don't understand and try and bring bags through.

Also, Disney does do checks for folks with large jackets and other issues.

Alas, it has caused more problems then what it solves, and the "regular" lines do move quickly in most cases.

stan4d_steph
08-12-2009, 06:21 AM
They have entrances like this at Walt Disney World. I guess the security people at WDW didn't share their secrets with the DL people.

houseofmouse
08-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Several times we were there this summer they had lines just like that. I did not see anyone try to take a bag through as they announced quite loudly that it was a bag free line only.

Maybe they just aren't consistent about it. However, we never waited more than 4 mins to get through bag check even when the line was pretty long.

Drince88
08-12-2009, 06:45 AM
They have entrances like this at Walt Disney World. I guess the security people at WDW didn't share their secrets with the DL people.

I think it was physically easier to deal with it at WDW.

And they still have to staff the 'no bag' entrance, to 'catch' people going through with bags.

But I think the biggest factor might be that at WDW, the people doing the bag check wear security CM costumes (and so I presume they are security CMs) and at DL they are NOT security CMs. They're totally different departments running the bag checks at the two coasts. It's probably hard enough to get security people to share ideas between DL and WDW - but when you're going cross-country and to a different department, the organizational communication nightmare might be preventing any sharing of ideas.

adriennek
08-12-2009, 07:00 AM
But I think the biggest factor might be that at WDW, the people doing the bag check wear security CM costumes (and so I presume they are security CMs) and at DL they are NOT security CMs. They're totally different departments running the bag checks at the two coasts.

What she said. It's not a security run department. The same people doing the bag checks are the people that that take tickets at the gate. I've recognized some of them on their rotations.

Whether or not that's the reason they don't do it, is another thing. But just for the record, it's not security.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
08-12-2009, 07:06 AM
And it is probably the reason why AP's don't have "their own gate". What works in Florida doesn't always work in CA and vice verses.

DisneylandDad
08-12-2009, 08:09 AM
And it is probably the reason why AP's don't have "their own gate". What works in Florida doesn't always work in CA and vice verses.

I heard that the $40 increase in PAP was earmarked to put a special AP gate in at DL and that it might even have a loop.

BlkPearlCptn
08-12-2009, 08:13 AM
When a group of us were there last October, we were going through the bag check when the checker (an elderly "gentleman") started literally screaming at one of our party to "Open your coat... I have to see what's in it. OPEN YOUR COAT!" He got red-faced, screaming for her to open her coat. When she did (he had already checked her bellybag) He just visibly stared at her chest and then yelled, "Leave it open! You can't go through unless it's open!" He didn't say a word to the rest of us about our coats. .(we are all adults and had no problems with showing opening our bags, etc.).It was crass, uncomfortable, and embarassing.So much so that we went to city hall and complained. We were told that that was completely out of policy and they would look into it. We gave them the CM's name and never heard anything else. But the weirdest thing I've ever had happen at bag check.

Edit: We all commented afterwards that you sorta wanted to go home and take a shower afterwards....

Malcon10t
08-12-2009, 10:01 AM
We have had bag check ask my son, who was wearing a ski jacket to open it up, then lift the back. It was done very politely, and my son complied without an issue. Personally, it was probably profiling a teen to make sure they didn't have anything in the waistband. But, I honestly didn't care, would prefer they checked than something happen in the park.

BlkPearlCptn
08-12-2009, 10:54 AM
We have had bag check ask my son, who was wearing a ski jacket to open it up, then lift the back. It was done very politely, and my son complied without an issue. Personally, it was probably profiling a teen to make sure they didn't have anything in the waistband. But, I honestly didn't care, would prefer they checked than something happen in the park.

it was the fact that the guy never once took his eyes off of my friend's breasts ..and we are all average women in our 40's and 50's. She opened her coat up the moment he said to. Completely in compliance. And he was literally screaming at the top of his lungs the entire time. When she even started to take it off and he yelled at her to stop and stand with it open. "So I can look at you." Still staring at her breasts (which are also "average") This man became so fixated he turned beat red, continued to yell and even started slinging spit. So it wasn't you average "checking out to see what you have under the coat" incident. He actually caused a scene and the other checkers were trying to get him to calm down and get us through. In fact one of the female checker's suggested "you might want to speak with City Hall."

disneylandgirl
08-12-2009, 11:00 AM
it was the fact that the guy never once took his eyes off of my friend's breasts ..and we are all average women in our 40's and 50's. She opened her coat up the moment he said to. Completely in compliance. And he was literally screaming at the top of his lungs the entire time. When she even started to take it off and he yelled at her to stop and stand with it open. "So I can look at you." Still staring at her breasts (which are also "average") This man became so fixated he turned beat red, continued to yell and even started slinging spit. So it wasn't you average "checking out to see what you have under the coat" incident. He actually caused a scene and the other checkers were trying to get him to calm down and get us through. In fact one of the female checker's suggested "you might want to speak with City Hall."

Wow. Glad you said something about it. Creepy men should not be working at DL. Period.

Malcon10t
08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
So it wasn't you average "checking out to see what you have under the coat" incident. He actually caused a scene and the other checkers were trying to get him to calm down and get us through. In fact one of the female checker's suggested "you might want to speak with City Hall."It sounds totally weird, and I am glad you went to City Hall. I simply wanted to add they do occasionally ask for the open jacket, but not like that. It's a good thing this checker didn't get MDM....

BlkPearlCptn
08-12-2009, 12:39 PM
It sounds totally weird, and I am glad you went to City Hall. I simply wanted to add they do occasionally ask for the open jacket, but not like that. It's a good thing this checker didn't get MDM....

Actually, I think I would have LOVED for MDM to be there! (Sounds like she would have protected us):p

Merm8fan
08-12-2009, 12:56 PM
But just for the record, it's not security.

Adrienne

Amen to that.

IMO, it is really just as much a part of the 'show' as the in-park experience. It is all about peace of mind for the folks who would freak if they didn't have a 'security' check. They don't check fully expanded cargo pant pockets, huge character hats that could hold an arsenal, or many other places/items that could potentially hold whatever contraband they are looking for. (Guns, bombs, a Knotts Annual Pass...?)

I'm actually terrified to think what would happen if they actually DID encounter contraband. Would they ask nicely for the owner to leave or maybe kindly place the offending item in an outside-the-park locker? Perhpas the simple existence of the check itself is meant to be a deterrent, and they've never had any actual 'finds'.

In any case, it always makes me roll my eyes, but I just chalk it up to yet another line I am willing to participate in to feel the magic! :)

cstephens
08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm actually terrified to think what would happen if they actually DID encounter contraband.

This happened some time ago, but I had forgotten that I had my Swiss army knife with me, which they found in looking through my purse. I was told that I couldn't bring it into the park, so I could either put it in one of the lockers outside bag check or take it back to my car. They were very nice about it.

mechurchlady
08-12-2009, 02:18 PM
The one time was a lady who had mace or pepper spray and the politely explained park policy and she gave them the canister.

The latest one was a man who had a small knife. Security and him had a discussion that was firm but not yelling or loud. Finally the man gave in and let them the knife.

If diplomacy does not work then there is security and if it gets really bad they can get the police in there within minutes. I also have recognized ticket takers who are also on security gate. The problem is that there is so much room and people can bet befuddled. I have seen people being told that purses, belly bags, hip bags, pin bags, etc are bags. I roll up in my scooter with all bags in my lap or basket and open. I carry a gym/duffle bag with my purse in it and a rear bag with battery charger and winter wear if necessary. I hate security check because of people cutting in line and not listening and being prepared.

Ohthatjeff
08-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Security isn't just for show. Performing checks allows for fewer ways to sneak in contraband and serves as just enough of a deterrent for most people. If you were walking into the grocery store and remembered that your pocket knife was on your belt or mace in your purse would you turn around and go back to your car? The grocery store doesn't want you to be carrying it around anymore than Disney does. But they don't check so you just continue on in.

But mostly, it's for the thick-headed people who don't realize just what a bad idea to bring even a small handgun into a theme park. (There was an elderly woman stopped for just this reason at WDW last year. She forgot she put it in her bag.) It's similar to the airport asking you if someone has asked you to carry any bags for them. Most of us wouldn't be that naive, but they wouldn't ask if it hadn't actually come up at least once.

It's the same reason that the person in technical support asks you if your computer is on. They wouldn't ask if it's never happened. (And it happens a lot more than I ever thought it could.)

ralfrick
08-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Security isn't just for show.
I thought we were all clear that this isn't security; bringing a weapon into DL would be really easy, and likely happens often, but it's been years since I can recall one being used.

BTW, the little Swiss knife on my key ring is a tool, not a weapon. It could be used as one, but the keys themselves could be used as a weapon that would be as effective. It's academic here since I do remove it at parks with metal dectectors, and don't need my keys when I walk over from our hotel at DL.

A bientot.

adriennek
08-12-2009, 07:44 PM
If anyone wants to know what would happen if a situation escalated - Security would be called, just as they would be called in for any other department in the park. In this case, it would be the Main Gate crew calling for Security.

In the well-documented incident where the Bag Check CM detained my husband for carrying his extremely dangerous (eyeroll) HAM radio, they first called for their lead, then security and ultimately the Anaheim Police. For those who do not remember the incident, Doc remained calm but firm in his position. The escalation came about because he was asking what was the official policy and pointed out reasons why it would be inconsistent with other policies to forbid him from carrying his radio. When the Anaheim Police Officer came onto the scene and Doc explained to him that he carried his radio as part of his civic responsibility as a Emergency Communications Volunteer with a local police department, the police officer suggested to the security and the main gate CMs that it would be appropriate to allow him into the park with his radio.

So yes, they can call Security if they feel the need to.

Adrienne

Ohthatjeff
08-12-2009, 07:49 PM
I thought we were all clear that this isn't security; bringing a weapon into DL would be really easy, and likely happens often, but it's been years since I can recall one being used.

It's not going to catch someone intent on doing harm. But the person who's foolish enough to carry a firearm through a bag check is the same person foolish enough to accidentally discharge it inside the park. It's security against numskulls.

hefferdude
08-12-2009, 09:30 PM
When the Anaheim Police Officer came onto the scene and Doc explained to him that he carried his radio as part of his civic responsibility as a Emergency Communications Volunteer with a local police department, the police officer suggested to the security and the main gate CMs that it would be appropriate to allow him into the park with his radio.

99% of officers in the field know the importance and benefits of civic minded community volunteers. DW and I volunteer in our community. Not patronizing, just saying thanks for the extra mile.:)

adriennek
08-12-2009, 09:41 PM
99% of officers in the field know the importance and benefits of civic minded community volunteers. DW and I volunteer in our community. Not patronizing, just saying thanks for the extra mile.:)

The officers of our local department are pretty good about appreciating the work the radio/communication volunteers do for them. Doc is spread a little thin with his commitments to Cub and Boy scouting these days, but he shows up when he can and they're always glad to see him when he's around. The Anaheim PD officer was very reasonable that day. :)

Adrienne

stan4d_steph
08-13-2009, 05:54 AM
But I think the biggest factor might be that at WDW, the people doing the bag check wear security CM costumes (and so I presume they are security CMs) and at DL they are NOT security CMs. They're totally different departments running the bag checks at the two coasts.I always forget that. Makes no sense to me.