PDA

View Full Version : So its 9/9/09... [Haunted Mansion additions]

Pages : [1] 2

TheCoachman
08-08-2009, 05:01 PM
all this talk about the return of the hat box ghost has got me and many others excited. i thought he was returning on 8/9/09, because 8/9 was the actual date of the opening, guess we have to wait and see for about one more month until September 9th!!!

Anyways Anyone else hear any more cool rumors or speculation of whats to come on the 40th??

olegc
08-08-2009, 05:23 PM
but, you see, it is just talk. Many on other sites have proposed that Disney should bring it back, others have claimed that they know people who have heard it's coming back (and we know that this is not reliable). If it did come back - it would be A LOT of work for it to be only available for a week. The ride shuts down after the event and gets remaid to Haunted Mansion Holiday. and, no, speculation that they won't do it in favor of the HBG is not correct. Too many people come to the park to see HMH (they're not traditionalist HM fans, they just love HMH). so Disney would never give up that gate revenue.

And all that talk about so much merchandise coming out with the character that this should be a sign. Well - it's getting folks to buy the merch, right? these rumors create the buzz that makes folks want to get out there and get more in anticipation... and then if Disney does not implement, for whatever reason, will you stop going? probably not.

To me - what they probably will do is have live action actors doing some sort of bit at the event, and one will be the HBG, and everyone will cheer... and that will be it.

It's a great thought, and if it does ever happen I will be in line like the rest of them, but I just can't see it for THIS sep 9th. 2009.

TheCoachman
08-08-2009, 07:17 PM
well we never know. Maybe the Imagineers decided this time to update a attraction and keep it secret! Remember all the noise from the Potc and small world updates? maybe they got tired of it and decided to keep it on the low

houseofmouse
08-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Where would he go? Was he there before? Where??:confused:

TheCoachman
08-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Where would he go? Was he there before? Where??:confused:

he used to be there, but the effect did not work right. He was positioned where the OLD version of Constance, the bride, used to be

This website is the ultimate haunted mansion fan website, check out about the middle to read about it and even view a video with Tony Baxter talking about the old attic with the hat box ghost! :D
http://www.doombuggies.com/myths2.php

olegc
08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
well we never know. Maybe the Imagineers decided this time to update a attraction and keep it secret! Remember all the noise from the Potc and small world updates? maybe they got tired of it and decided to keep it on the low

nothing stays "on the low" anymore. The two examples you mention above were leaked because of all of the supposed insider access people have. ONly after some of the details did Disney decide to talk about the changes - and in the small world case faced a lot of criticism. You can dream - and there there's opening day...

besides - since the attraction is running now they would have to shut it down, install the animatronic, run through several tests within the attraction so that the unit worked in conjunciton with everything else in the attic, etc. And don't forget - the head of the hatbox ghost changed locations with the heartbeat of the old bride. that will have to change in the new attic with the new bride - and be tested, verified, soft opened, etc.

TheCoachman
08-08-2009, 08:18 PM
nothing stays "on the low" anymore. The two examples you mention above were leaked because of all of the supposed insider access people have. ONly after some of the details did Disney decide to talk about the changes - and in the small world case faced a lot of criticism. You can dream - and there there's opening day...

besides - since the attraction is running now they would have to shut it down, install the animatronic, run through several tests within the attraction so that the unit worked in conjunciton with everything else in the attic, etc. And don't forget - the head of the hatbox ghost changed locations with the heartbeat of the old bride. that will have to change in the new attic with the new bride - and be tested, verified, soft opened, etc.

what makes you think it will be the original hatbox ghost and not a new model? dont you think the 40 year old model would not function especially being in storage that long? The installation can easily be done and tested overnight just for one figure.

olegc
08-08-2009, 08:34 PM
what makes you think it will be the original hatbox ghost and not a new model? dont you think the 40 year old model would not function especially being in storage that long? The installation can easily be done and tested overnight just for one figure.

is that what happened with the new bride? the story incorporation has to be included so people who are not intimately knowledgeable about the history of the attraction "get it"... you can't just plop it in there..

TowerofTerror
08-09-2009, 12:15 AM
today is 8/9/09 and it marks the 40th aniversary of The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland.

TheCoachman
08-09-2009, 12:37 AM
today is 8/9/09 and it marks the 40th aniversary of The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland.

Indeed! but the updates, if ANY would happen on the 9/09/09 event

TheCoachman
08-09-2009, 12:40 AM
is that what happened with the new bride? the story incorporation has to be included so people who are not intimately knowledgeable about the history of the attraction "get it"... you can't just plop it in there..

thats true but the attic has enough storytelling in it to make the plot obvious..the addition of the hatbox ghost would be fine as it is..
i dont know what the hatbox was..anyone know his relation to the storyline?

punkyv
08-09-2009, 05:00 PM
According to an article in E-Ticket, they lost the original Hatbox Ghost. Imagineers stated that he was removed because he was too scary & possibly dismantled & used in other things. I think that they only recently found the original picture (w/i the last year or so?).He would be a great addition again...

Toocherie
08-09-2009, 09:38 PM
is the hatbox ghost the one that popped up? (if so, that one did scare me when I was a kid!)

TheCoachman
08-09-2009, 10:26 PM
According to an article in E-Ticket, they lost the original Hatbox Ghost. Imagineers stated that he was removed because he was too scary & possibly dismantled & used in other things. I think that they only recently found the original picture (w/i the last year or so?).He would be a great addition again...

it was not that he was too scary..it was that the effect was not convincing and looked very cheesy. Imagine with the technology the imagineers have today how AWESOME he would look?

TheCoachman
08-09-2009, 10:26 PM
is the hatbox ghost the one that popped up? (if so, that one did scare me when I was a kid!)

http://www.doombuggies.com/myths2.php
he is about at the middle of the page

punkyv
08-10-2009, 06:02 AM
it was not that he was too scary..it was that the effect was not convincing and looked very cheesy. Imagine with the technology the imagineers have today how AWESOME he would look?
Oh, sorry. You are right. I stand corrected. :o)
Yes, the Imagineers would do awesomely w/ his concept!

MamaBaer
08-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Not to be the fly in the ointment, but it wouldn’t make any sense at all to expect any additions to the HM on 9-9-09 since it is closing 9-10-09 for the holiday overlay. IMO, if they were making any changes, I’d think we would see them like we did with IASW…regular holiday overlay THEN next year the new additions.

olegc
08-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Not to be the fly in the ointment, but it wouldn’t make any sense at all to expect any additions to the HM on 9-9-09 since it is closing 9-10-09 for the holiday overlay. IMO, if they were making any changes, I’d think we would see them like we did with IASW…regular holiday overlay THEN next year the new additions.

thanks for the vote of confidence. At least 2 folks now are thinking logically. :D Yes it would be neat, cool, awesome, wonderful,.... but then you have to think it through.

kerrystevenson
08-10-2009, 07:52 PM
TheCoachman,

What a great site. I have been on it all evening!

Malcon10t
08-10-2009, 08:29 PM
thanks for the vote of confidence. At least 2 folks now are thinking logically. :D Yes it would be neat, cool, awesome, wonderful,.... but then you have to think it through.Can I have a seat on the logical couch?

olegc
08-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Can I have a seat on the logical couch?

sure - it's a sectional :cool:

Tiana
08-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Will it be super crowded that day in the park because of this?

olegc
08-13-2009, 01:26 PM
nope - we start @ DCA near closing of that park (6pm on 9/9) and then head over to Disneyland (which closes at 8pm on that day).

olegc
08-18-2009, 07:12 AM
this appeared on Kevin Kidney's site today

http://miehana.blogspot.com/2009/08/lot-28-i-dont-mean-to-tease-you.html

could it be that the HatBox Ghost will be auctioned off at D23 Expo?

cstephens
08-18-2009, 07:58 AM
this appeared on Kevin Kidney's site today

http://miehana.blogspot.com/2009/08/lot-28-i-dont-mean-to-tease-you.html

could it be that the HatBox Ghost will be auctioned off at D23 Expo?

It's already on there (http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/artofdisneyparks/media/D23_online_auction_catalog.pdf) - lot 28.