PDA

View Full Version : When is DL going to be too expensive?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Nancy
08-06-2009, 08:05 PM
For the last couple years when I renew our AP's I say "this is the last time". Our's expire in Nov and with Christmas only around the corner from then it makes it difficult. With the price of AP's going up yearly, does anyone have a cap on the amount of money they will spend on AP's? I really can't see renewing much longer with the economy the way it is. Any thoughts?

bennette
08-06-2009, 08:44 PM
For me it's not so much the cost of the AP itself; it's the value it represents. This year has been a hard one to think about, with parking a hassle; paying more for questionable food quality; cuts to the entertainment I personally most enjoy; and seemingly no quiet periods.

We usually buy a Premium. It's early to say, but I'm not sure we're going to want to spend the money this year because I'm just not sure we got our money's worth.

darph nader
08-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Pretty soon it will just be the elite. They are pricing us poor,occasional shmucks right out of the park.:(

ChurroGirl
08-06-2009, 09:04 PM
With the price increase and the economy we have decided to down grade to DAP's. For a PAP it has already reached the spending cap we are willing to put towards that.

mechurchlady
08-06-2009, 09:22 PM
I could never go to DLR but once every two months without monthly payments and a credit card.

cstephens
08-06-2009, 09:30 PM
With the price of AP's going up yearly, does anyone have a cap on the amount of money they will spend on AP's?

I don't. Someone on another discussion forum several years ago asked the same question, though that person demanded a cut and dried answer. As long as my finances allow, and I feel that I'm getting value for my money, I expect to continue renewing. But if any of the parameters change, then it's entirely within reason to think that I wouldn't renew.

Pretty soon it will just be the elite. They are pricing us poor,occasional shmucks right out of the park.:(

I disagree. There are promotions running almost all the time.

tod
08-06-2009, 09:34 PM
When is Disneyland going to be too expensive?

When it went over $50 for a one-day Passport.

--t

The Mouse Is Back
08-06-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm with tod on this one.

That train left the station a long time ago.

Ally

3Princesses1Prince
08-06-2009, 09:46 PM
We are getting APs this year, but won't renew "faithfully". We are 5-6 hours away so we will do APs again, but on our travel schedule when we will do more than one trip in a 12 month period. So when our APs expire next September, I won't renew until we return at Christmas.

mechurchlady
08-06-2009, 09:59 PM
When it went over $35 was too much for me. I am not a full used of the parks but go for a slow strolling day where i take in the sights, eat and do a few attractions. $50 is my maximum on spending to get into a park.

Jeffreaky
08-06-2009, 11:12 PM
It's ridiculous at this point! We don't renew faithfully.

Why even get a AP? There aren't even any hotel deals at this point for November/December when we take our family trip. Last year it was $149 a night when we stayed at PPH. This year so far it's $221 a night.

backsthepack
08-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Sadly, I think it already is for a lot of the general population. For us, for now, it is still affordable. We are still able to take 2-3 trips over a year. But with the way things are right now, I can't say that we will still be able to do that next year. It might become a once a year thing.

I know I have a lot of family members that would love to take trips to Disneyland but it is way beyond what they can afford.

On a side note though, and please do not think I am a bad person for this, I do sort of like that it is more "expensive" than other places. I know we went to Knotts a couple of years ago for the first time and we were very, very disappointed by it. Not only is it run down but there were a lot of people there that I was a bit nervous of. If the prices were higher I think it would make the park a better place.

K & S
08-07-2009, 06:00 AM
I agree with Bennette, I feel I'm paying more and getting less. The endless promotions have created large crowds, parking problems and going to the park just isn't as much fun as it once was.

More and more I feel like Disney is giving loyal AP holders the one-finger-salute. This will likely be my last AP.

Malcon10t
08-07-2009, 06:11 AM
Why even get a AP? There aren't even any hotel deals at this point for November/December when we take our family trip. Last year it was $149 a night when we stayed at PPH. This year so far it's $221 a night.If people are willing to pay the $221 why should Disneyland lower their price? I don't think the Resort hotels are worth their price, so I don't stay there. Why should I book PPH, when Fairfield is closer, and I can book 3 nights for that same price? But if people feel "I have to stay on property" and are willing to pay that price, why should they lower that price?

BrandonH
08-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Exactly, Malcon10t. If there are huge crowds year-round, then obviously Disney does not need to lower ticket prices to create demand.

mechurchlady
08-07-2009, 06:31 AM
I am staying at DHL for my mother's birthday for two nights. It is a special time for us or I could have booked elsewhere for 5 nights for the price of two at DHL, I would never stay on site when HoJos and Motel 6 are clean and meet my needs.

friendofpiglet
08-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Here is my opinion regarding staying on property - when is it too expensive for anything at the DLR?
Well we live in British Columbia Canada and we don't get to visit very often. The last time I was at the DLR was in 1998! So, when we look at the "big picture" it is not too expensive to stay at the DL Hotel (as we will be doing in October) since we are not getting to go every other weekend and any other time we feel like just dropping in for a quick visit. This is our reality and therefore we look at the original question in a different way than others who live nearby.

Malcon10t
08-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Here is my opinion regarding staying on property - when is it too expensive for anything at the DLR?
Well we live in British Columbia Canada and we don't get to visit very often. The last time I was at the DLR was in 1998! So, when we look at the "big picture" it is not too expensive to stay at the DL Hotel (as we will be doing in October) since we are not getting to go every other weekend and any other time we feel like just dropping in for a quick visit. This is our reality and therefore we look at the original question in a different way than others who live nearby.Right. And that is your opinion, and if you are willing to pay the price, DLR has priced themselves just right. Each person has their own opinion as to what they are willing to pay for, what is needed to make their trip what they want, and they decide what is a far price. If you are willing to pay the price, it is a fair price.

For me, staying onsite isn't a biggie. It really isn't worth $200+ a night. But is Fantasmic! premium seating worth $60? OHHH YEAH! Others will disagree. I thought the Celebration BBQ was well worth the money. I think Goofy's is well worth the money. Minnie's, not so much.

We all have OUR priorities. As long as some find worth in the prices, and DLR continues to make a profit, why would they lower the price?

janell
08-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Hasn't Disneyland always been expensive? I grew up hearing my moms stories of Disneyland and how it was a real treat to go once a year. Thats all they could afford. This was back with they had the ABCDE tickets. And sometimes my grandfathers work would rent it for an evening(he worked for a very large company). It was free for the workers and their families, no tickets needed. I think food still cost. But anyhow, it was a real treat.

I have always looked at Disney as being pricey. I think paying full price for two parks with DCA in a mess, its right. But who am I. They should have either offered AP's for just DL or cut the price for a two park AP. Not increased the price of AP much till after DCA was finished. I have a friend who will not re-new her AP till DCA is done.

I wonder, do people think they get a good value when they go to WDW right now? Those tickets aren't cheap. Does having four gates make it worth it the cost, where DL only has two gates?

Tinkermommy
08-07-2009, 09:39 AM
That is a very good question. I bought our first PAPs the year my daughter was going into second grade, and I paid under $250 each. (I forget exactly how much.) She's going into eighth, and they're now over $400. Yikes!

Every year when the renewal comes (although it never did come this year!), I ask myself if I can justify spending so much money for Disneyland. But it's only two of us -- my DH doesn't mind us buying the passes, but only wants to go once annually, for my daughter's birthday. I've thought about downgrading, but the way we use our passes, we'd end up paying for blackout day tickets. PAPs are the only passes that make sense for us right now.

Our Disney buddies are a family of four, and they renew in October. Unfortunately, with the latest increase, that means they'll pay an additional $160. As much as they love Disneyland, I'm not sure they're going to be willing to do that. That's a huge increase in an uncertain economy. My brother's family already decided not to renew -- before the price increase.

On the other hand, the parks have been continually crowded, so the prices don't seem to be driving people away.

Each time I weigh the value, I come to the conclusion that -- so far -- it's worth it for us. Disneyland is where we go for fun and recreation. There are many other things we don't spend money on, so I don't mind spending a lot of it there. I would love to be able to enjoy a slow season again, but it looks like that's just not going to happen.

We're house-hunting closer to Disneyland now, however. If we end up moving close enough to make short visits during the week, I will very likely think about downgrading our passes.

cstephens
08-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Hasn't Disneyland always been expensive? I grew up hearing my moms stories of Disneyland and how it was a real treat to go once a year. Thats all they could afford.

I think you make a good point, and that it's a difference in perspective. With all the promotions that are running, especially the resident salute ones, people have learned to be entitled to go to Disneyland a couple times a year. If they only get to go once, that's almost a hardship. And if they can't go once a year - why, it's the fourth sign of the apocalypse. Heck, some people feel entitled to have APs, and if it's too expensive for them to afford one for the entire family, then it's just not fair and Walt must be spinning in his cryogenic grave.

Growing up, we went to Disneyland once every couple of years. And we had maybe one meal in the park - no extra expenditures, no souvenirs really. We couldn't really afford much else. That's just the way it was.

Tinkermommy
08-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I think you make a good point, too. Growing up, my siblings and I only got to go to Disneyland for Girl Scout events, or on Gas Company night. No souvenirs for us then, either.

People have obviously bought into Disney's idea of offering APs. I don't fault Disney for charging what the market will bear -- I just have to ask myself if it's a good value for the money, for my family, when the renewal comes. (So far, it's been "yup!")

3Princesses1Prince
08-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Why even get a AP? There aren't even any hotel deals at this point for November/December when we take our family trip. Last year it was $149 a night when we stayed at PPH. This year so far it's $221 a night.

I am getting an AP because for our 6 for 4 PH were $716 (2 adults and 2 kids). For an additional $440 we can get APs. That is like paying for another 2 day trip for us. Now we can go another 4-6 day trip next summer and pay for hotel (on or off property). We are close enough (and crazy enough) to do a quick 2 day trip over a weekend for the Halloween or Xmas season. Or even for an kid free get away for DH and myself. Not counting the 10% food discount and the hotel rates, its allowing us to return to DLR next year for another "dream trip".

tinker3
08-07-2009, 10:53 AM
It's a bit of a numbers game for us, being out of state. Right now we have DAP's for our family of five. I don't think we will be able to do it next year. It used to be worth the AP price if we went 2-3 times a year.

Some of our favorite off property hotels are getting more and more expensive. I love finding a good deal, and I do plenty of research in finding our hotels. Lately we have been staying at less expensive hotels and bringing more of our food to keep up our disney habit.

It looks like we may have to go back to just an annual trip with no AP's, and I am grateful for that :).

Malcon10t
08-07-2009, 10:56 AM
We started with passes WAY back when (10 years ago???) I remember then, it was because the cost would allow me 2 trips in a year, and I only got the older 2 APs because the younger 2 were "children", and 2 children's tix were cheaper than an AP. When they hit the "adult" price, they got an AP also. I don't think the APs were more than $100 when we first got them. I remember in 2001? I believe they were $189. What a difference 8 years makes.