PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain Exclusive [Pics]

napframe
01-14-2003, 01:34 AM
For those of you curious how the guts of Space Mountain look like.

http://www.nativer.com/~jack/dl/

These were taken with flash.

Disneyfreak
01-14-2003, 06:57 AM
If the track looks that horrible than it must be a safety hazard. I didnt know it looked that bad. They probably will replace the track now.:)

Bill Catherall
01-14-2003, 09:14 AM
Cool pictures, but I don't see any safety hazard. Care to share Disneyfreak?

DisneyGuy03
01-14-2003, 09:15 AM
Shame on you for using a flash, but none the less they are interesting pics

Gemini Cricket
01-14-2003, 09:24 AM
You mean we're not really in space? :(

RStar
01-14-2003, 09:26 AM
No.

But it is a roller coaster in a closet. Does that count?

I agree, I see no saftey problems. Just unfinished track due to the fact that you don't see it in the dark.

And if you think that looks bad, you should have seen the old elevator in the Matterhorn:eek: ! That was bad, and I've got pictures of that!

Cadaverous Pallor
01-14-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
If the track looks that horrible than it must be a safety hazard. ????????? This is a joke, right? Horrible? Are you telling me that not painting parts you can't see causes a safety hazard?

Please, please PLEASE tell me this is a misunderstanding.

Gemini Cricket
01-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
????????? This is a joke, right? Horrible? Are you telling me that not painting parts you can't see causes a safety hazard?

Please, please PLEASE tell me this is a misunderstanding.
I'm thinking Disneyfreak thinks the rust you can see is throughout the track and is eating it away... Like the rust on a car hood... I dunno. :confused:

DisneyGuy03
01-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Again, I design things and the track does appear to be in a state of decay, yes of course it's unfinished as we don't see it, but look at where the rust is, it's where it shouldn't be, at a lot of the supporting joints and such....this is not a good thing, it can proabably be run savfely for 5 or so more years, but I wouldn't go on it much after that, without them replacing the track....so might as well do it now.

Bill Catherall
01-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
Again, I design things... If we're going to play that game, I'm a mechanical engineer and I "design things" too. Looking at this picture (http://www.nativer.com/~jack/dl/07010086.jpg) particularly, I don't see any problems. I see discolorations but no rust. The track looks like it has some kind of grey primer on it, but there are also discolored spots probably from oil, welding, grinding, etc. What little bits of brown coloration I see, if that is indeed rust and not dirt, looks like it's just a surface corrosion and doesn't present any kind of structural problem. If it was bad enough to be a structural concern then it wouldn't just look discolored but would look blistered and pitted.

Something like that gets sanded and repainted, not replaced.

Laffite
01-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Shame on you for using a flash, but none the less they are interesting pics

Why? I tried taking pics with flash before but they weren't very good because I was being tossed around too much.

napframe
01-14-2003, 12:05 PM
Those were taking with a high speed camera.

DisneyGuy03
01-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Why? I tried taking pics with flash before but they weren't very good because I was being tossed around too much.
Well, I am sorry, but it's a little pet peeve I have:
Don't take pictures with a flash on dark rides, i.e. Pirates of the Caribean, Fantasyland Attractions, Space Mountain, Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin or on It's a Small World (Esp. the Holiday edition) or other attractions where it ruins the effect (On Samll World Holiday light cancels out light and you kill the lighting effects for others riding the ride, as well as risk having a picture where all the light bulbs look dim or burned out), unless you are the only person on the ride.

If we're going to play that game, I'm a mechanical engineer and I "design things" too. Looking at this picture particularly, I don't see any problems. I see discolorations but no rust. The track looks like it has some kind of grey primer on it, but there are also discolored spots probably from oil, welding, grinding, etc. What little bits of brown coloration I see, if that is indeed rust and not dirt, looks like it's just a surface corrosion and doesn't present any kind of structural problem. If it was bad enough to be a structural concern then it wouldn't just look discolored but would look blistered and pitted.
There were parts, and no I don't remember which picture in particular, but one really did get me, it needed some help....it was one though that I am not positive that it was supporting part of the track or or part of the building, if supporting buiding, then it wouldn't have been such an issue as it wouldn't have the dynamic loads on it as much as if it were supporting the tracks, you are right there is a lot of discoloration, which obsiously in the dark doesn't matter, but there is a bit of rust and remember one support out on a track of a roller coaster can cause major problems.

Laffite
01-14-2003, 01:05 PM
Well, I am sorry, but it's a little pet peeve I have:
Don't take pictures with a flash on dark rides, i.e. Pirates of the Caribean, Fantasyland Attractions, Space Mountain, Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin or on It's a Small World (Esp. the Holiday edition) or other attractions where it ruins the effect

Space Mountain is not a dark ride. It's just a roller coaster that happens to be dark. "Dark rides", techically, is a ride that tell stories, ie most rides in Fantasyland, POTC and HM. I don't think Small World is considered a techical "dark ride".

Preston

Ralph Wiggum
01-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by RStar
No.
And if you think that looks bad, you should have seen the old elevator in the Matterhorn:eek: ! That was bad, and I've got pictures of that!

Well what r u waiting for...post the pictures!

DisneyGuy03
01-14-2003, 02:34 PM
Ok, I know it's technically not a "dark ride" but my point is that the ride is one in which taking flash pictures kills the effect.

Ghoulish Delight
01-14-2003, 03:03 PM

There were parts, and no I don't remember which picture in particular, but one really did get me, it needed some help....it was one though that I am not positive that it was supporting part of the track or or part of the building, if supporting buiding, then it wouldn't have been such an issue as it wouldn't have the dynamic loads on it as much as if it were supporting the tracks, you are right there is a lot of discoloration, which obsiously in the dark doesn't matter, but there is a bit of rust and remember one support out on a track of a roller coaster can cause major problems. There are only 7 pictures, certainly you can go back and check which one.

Personally, the only one that shows anything even resembling rust, from what I can tell, is the first one. And that's some mighty bright rust. It looks to me more like remnants of old paint. And it's on a ceiling beam, not the track.

But regardless of visible rust, the track will be replaced. The culprit is not rust, but metal fatigue. The ride has been closed many times in recent years to spot weld and/or replace cracking beams.

Disneyfreak
01-14-2003, 03:25 PM
You have to agree that just because its not rusting too much doesnt mean that the ride is tired. Just the state which the ride looks like is horrible. The discoloration indicates that the ride is old and needs to be retired or really fixed up. The track definately needs to be changed because of metal fatique. I just hope that we will get a state of the art track. That would be cool if they started the ride outside in the rocket rods area and launched you into the building! Wouldnt that be cool. Although they would finally bank the turns.

Bill Catherall
01-14-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
The discoloration indicates that the ride is old and needs to be retired or really fixed up. And instead of washing your car I bet you just go out and buy a new one. ;)

GD is right. If the track needs replacing it's not because of rust. Metal fatigue can't be seen in photos.

Laffite
01-14-2003, 05:31 PM
DF. Perhaps it looks worse than you think because they didn't "repaint" and do the usual "upkeep" to make it look nice and new. There would be no reasons to, since guests don't see it anyway and they just neglect that part of house-keeping.

napframe
01-14-2003, 07:49 PM
If it aint broken, don't fix it.

Laffite
01-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by JackW
If it aint broken, don't fix it.

If you don't fix it pretty soon, it'll be broken :rolleyes: