PDA

View Full Version : a cool Tomorrowland!!

thekirk
01-13-2003, 04:22 PM
Look at this ad for Tomorrowland

http://www.mousepants.com/space/hatter.jpg

Thats how they should have done Tomorrowland - if they did it like that it would be awesome!

What do you guys think?

9oldmen
01-13-2003, 04:41 PM
Um,...you mean it was awesome. That is the concept art from the mid-seventies, depicting Disneyland's Space Mountain, as it originally was, with the speedramp out in front, the old Space Stage, Splace Place food facility, and Starcade. I remember hearing about the construction around '75, or '76, with the promise that it would open around mid-'77. Sure enough, in May of '77, the ride was advertised as open. (May of '77 was sure a good month for "space", both mountains and <star> wars). But those where the days when you could count on things opening on time.

thekirk
01-13-2003, 04:52 PM
to there used to be ramps like that? they took it down? it look like there was a balcony - i'm guess i'll take a closer look at Tomorrowland when I go on Friday

scottmen
01-13-2003, 05:02 PM
It wasn't taken out that long ago. I still remember the ramps rarely working when I would go. Were they there in the past 10 years?

Scott

Ghoulish Delight
01-13-2003, 05:25 PM
The moving walkway ramps existed until the the '98 redo. The balcony is still there, though it hasn't been used in at least 20 years except for Space Mountain overflow line (and even then, only a small portion of it). You still wak across it to enter the building for the queue.

And yes, the ramps were never turned on on crowded days. If the line reached back to them, they could not turn on as they would simply shove people into the backs of those already at the top.

thekirk
01-13-2003, 05:27 PM
I saw some pictures - and there was that ramp thing. I think it looked cool - and they should put something like it in place.

Then do a major update on Innoventions, put something new in the theatre where HISTA is, move Rocket rods back to the center of Tomorrowland, put in a new circle vision, fix - or get rid of cosmic waves, update Star Wars, put in a new verison of the people mover, get rid of the Starcade and put a nice resturant in there, and bang! you have a nice Tomorrowland without spending too much money. They just need to make it look like it doesn't belong in a Six Flags park.

RStar
01-13-2003, 05:50 PM
The ramp came off the balcony, would go over top of the entrance to the queue for HISTA and ended about where the cosmic <granit ball> is now. It just looked like an old escilator right before tearing (or burning) it down. Yes, it apperintly caught fire during the dissmantaling phase.:eek:

You still might be able to find an old post card or photo in one of the books of the area (including the ramp) at night with the lights on. It did look cool, and the ramp was a big part of it.

Laffite
01-13-2003, 08:13 PM
yea, Kirk. That looks pretty cool. Unfortunately, we just have this stupid out-of-place tree pot in front of the space exhibit. (http://home.earthlink.net/~captbulldog/118-1806_IMG.JPG)