PDA

View Full Version : speaking of space mountain......

Christiii
01-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Anyone miss the music?? I used to love it!! It really added to the ride..it reminded me of the Batman theme...so whats this I hear about an overhaul??
Im not happy when the Mountain is down :-(
Christi
Lodi Ca

Ghoulish Delight
01-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Christiii
Anyone miss the music?? I used to love it!! It really added to the ride..it reminded me of the Batman theme...so whats this I hear about an overhaul??
Im not happy when the Mountain is down :-(
Christi
Lodi Ca The entire track is in abismal repair, with reliable rumors/stories of cracking steel beams. The sound system (sorry, I'm not a fan, but most people seem to like it so tough luck to me), which was hastily retrofitted to the existing rockets when they decided to add the music was unreliable at best. So, the proposed plan is to close Space, completely replace the track from the ground up, and, once complete, put into service the new rockets (with a presumably more reliable sound system) that have been sitting backstage for several months now. The very tentative dates being bandied around say that it'd go down some time this year and be done by late 2004, but knowing how these things go, I'm not holding my breath for it to be done until the 50th celebration in 2005.

The more ambitious plans call for a redesign of the track. Some people have supposedly proposed an entirely new interior track, while others (to save some cost) have proposed keeping the interior track the same*, but making the old People Mover/Rocekt Jets/Rocket Rods tower the loading area and have the rockets "launch" into the show building (a-la DLP). But, if word on the street is to be believed, these concepts have already been pitched and rejected as too costly. We can still hope, though.

*Just to clarify. By either "new track" or "keep it the same," I mean layout-wise. No matter what, the physical track is going to be replaced wholesale. The debate is whether or not to change the layout.

innerSpaceman
01-13-2003, 01:34 PM
Who has the authoritative word on when Space Mtn. will go down for the long rehab? I've seen mention of this February and also this coming September. I need to get in as many more rides as possible before the unbearable closure, so I really need the word that is word.

Christiii
01-13-2003, 01:47 PM
me too!! It seems like a really long time to be down over a year...is thatreally the projected timeframe??
Christi :-)
Lodi Ca

refurbmike
01-13-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally, the Mountain was planned to be closed for around a year and a half. If this was so, then the attraction would go down this Spring.

Although, more recent rumors point to a shorter refurb requiring Space to close in the fall.

However, there are some rumors in between that say the attraction may close anytime within the next year. I've heard projected dates for re-open not meeting the 50th Anniversary deadline.

I'm sure as the closure date arrives (whenver it may be), there will be extensive coverage and discussion about it.

Just keep your fingers crossed.

Christiii
01-13-2003, 02:45 PM
I just went to your link of current refurbs and it had the Carosel down Jan 7th, but it has been down since October..at least..what is the deal with that??
Also, any news on Superstar limo??
Christi :-)
Lodi CA

RStar
01-13-2003, 03:07 PM
I would love it if they did the DLP type launch! But alas, I don't hold out much hope:crying: ....

When they close Space for over a year, they may as well close off all of T.land:( .

Well I guess there is Autopia, Star Tours, and Honey. And who knows, they may put a film in Circle Vision.;)

Oh, yeah. And The big spinny-thingy. Innoventions:sleep: ....

refurbmike
01-13-2003, 03:49 PM
Christiii: The Carousel has been down since January 7th, 2002.

Rumors are all over SSL. I've heard reliably that it is merely receiving safety updates. However, since TDA is planning on extensive work in that area, I wouldn't doubt if they're gonna wait a bit until they're able to draw more bodies into that area of the park.

Christiii
01-13-2003, 03:56 PM
oh wow..2002!! shhhhesh!!!

Ghoulish Delight
01-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Oh yeah. A post on another thread reminded me. There has also been talk of new show effects, presumably for both the queue area (if it remains inside) and the show building itself. I have not seen any description of proposed new effects, of if even anyone has come up with any, just that people have considered new show effects in some form or another.

DisneyGuy03
01-13-2003, 05:58 PM
The last I have heard on Space Mountain is that it will not close until 2004, this coming from CMs that would know, also, since it was mentioned here, SSL is reopening in March.

drjones
01-13-2003, 06:47 PM
when i was a kid, (when space mountain first opened) i used to pretent that i was Han Solo and my friend pretended to be Chewie. and Space Mountain was our adventures through space (pre-Star Tours) against the evil galactic empire. I think the surf music kind of killed that image for me. it made it seem too silly. Now if they had a grand old classical score like something from John Williams................................

Darkbeer
01-13-2003, 06:53 PM
I heard that SSL might reopen this MAY

Laffite
01-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
I heard that SSL might reopen this MAY

Now now guys. I think we'll all agree that Disney scheduling is, mind me, fubar.