PDA

View Full Version : Rivers Of America, Mark Twain, Columbia Update

hairboy079
01-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Was running through the refurbishment schedule. It says that the River of America, Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, and Davy Crocketts Canoes should be back up and running by March 28. Mad Tea Party will be done a few days later, but SBC still there. Whats the deal? Are they removing the walk-through??? I hope not, one of the reasons why I have wanted to go to is to be able to go up and see the inside of the castle.

innerSpaceman
01-13-2003, 04:50 PM
Don't hold your breath (or make any vacation plans) based on seeing the inside of the Castle ever again. It's closed indefinitely and may never see the light of day for the rest of eternity for all we know.

Hell freezing over and/or the successful conclusion of the 185 year War on Terror, however, are two events that might trigger the reopening of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Thru.

DisneyGuy03
01-13-2003, 05:13 PM
Ok, well, I am sorry, I have to clear something up, the Sleeping Beauty Castle was not closed down for security reasons, remember it was open for a few weeks after Sept. 11th, it was closed down due to a much needed rehab, which had turned into another Carousel/Matterhorn and I would anticipate Indy and Space Mountain to be the same way. Ok, actually it was the first in this string, they dig into the attraction and find far more work than was anticipated, so it is taking a lot longer, last I heard is March at the absolute latest.

I asked a Security manager that I had the opportunity to speak with if Sleeping Beauty Castle was indeed closed due to Sept. 11th and he said that was a bunch of BS, and told me basically what I mentioned above, of course, he didn't mention the other attractions.....but bassically it had decayed due to a lack of mainetenance under Paul Pressler (Gee, can we ever fix all the garbage he messed up?) so it is taking quite some time to make it all nice again.

zapppop
01-13-2003, 05:29 PM
So by coincidence, the castle walkthrough closed the same day the president delcaired war on terrorism, for an extensive rehab (which no one is working on), and has been removed from roster of attractions on the guide maps ?

thekirk
01-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Hell freezing over and/or the successful conclusion of the 185 year War on Terror, however, are two events that might trigger the reopening of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Thru.

LOL - Literally laughed out loud at my desk!!!!! I hardly ever do that! I cracked up!

Thanks for a lil light in my day!

HBTiggerFan
01-13-2003, 06:12 PM
It would seem that Disneyland is not going to announce to the general public (unless they did, then I'll be a monkeys aunt) that they closed the SBC walk-through because it is a security risk.

I find it hard to believe that it was closed for a "refurbishment" the day that we started rearranging other countries, especially when there was no statement, press release or talk about SBC closing for a refurbishment before that.

I have no doubt that the walk-through is still there, dioramas and all, it is just closed indefinitely because it is such a high profile target and to easy to plant stuff in it.

Darkbeer
01-13-2003, 06:59 PM
DisneyGuy, I don't know who you have been talking to, but they have been feeding you a line....

Let me quote their boss, the Senior Vice President of Disneyland Resort Operations, Randy Baumberger, from a MouseInfo.com interview that was originally posted August of 2002. (six months ago)

http://www.mouseinfo.com/showupdate.php?id=20020720&page=2

MI: Are there any plans to open the walk-thru at Sleeping Beauty Castle?

RB: At this time, the walk-thru is closed indefinitely. As we allow ourselves to understand a better use of that space and we get a chance to update that space, we will continue to look at that. At this time, there are no short-term plans for it to re-open.

HBTiggerFan
01-13-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
DisneyGuy, I don't know who you have been talking to, but they have been feeding you a line....

Let me quote their boss, the Senior Vice President of Disneyland Resort Operations, Randy Baumberger, from a MouseInfo.com interview that was originally posted August of 2002. (six months ago)

http://www.mouseinfo.com/showupdate.php?id=20020720&page=2

thank you

innerSpaceman
01-13-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
So by coincidence, the castle walkthrough closed the same day the president delcaired war on terrorism, for an extensive rehab (which no one is working on), and has been removed from roster of attractions on the guide maps ?
Actually, the walk-thru closed - not only ON the very day the U.S. started bombing Afghanistan - but closed midway through the day, once news of the bombing was made public.

Many of us on mousepad remember this quite well, because it occured on one of that year's two MouseAdventure days and, in fact, one of the MouseAdventure "quests" required players to go through the Castle Walk-Thru. Midway through the day and through the game, the Walk-Thru was closed (and everyone who hadn't done that part of the game yet had to be given automatic credit). I am forever grateful to MouseAdventure, 'cause otherwise I would not have had that last minute and perhaps last ever chance to experience the attraction before it was summarily closed. I hadn't been through the Castle for months and months before that and, who knows, I may never get to do it again.

Attractions do not go down for maintenance rehab midway through an operating day.

Laffite
01-13-2003, 08:01 PM
Perhaps the "rehab" is just a cover story.

DisneyGuy03
01-14-2003, 09:06 AM
Am I the only one that noticed all the inaccuracies in there? Sorry, parades are signed on for contracts of x number of years, etc......So, I am sorry, I'll believe the people that haven't lied yet and leave the ones that I know have in the past to say what they want (and we know this guy as with most of the higher ups at Disney lie a lot)

hairboy079
01-14-2003, 01:07 PM
That really stinks! :crying: Has anybody heard any rumors about what they may put in there? Is there really enough size to do anything different. I need to try and find some pictures of the inside. One question, are the doors locked or blocked? I heard that they have just had stuff in front of the door like boards and trash cans.

Laffite
01-14-2003, 01:11 PM
The topic said "ROA, MT, Columbia update" but I found very little info on this in this thread. I want a refund..:( ..

..oh wait...

Preston

hairboy079
01-15-2003, 01:21 PM
Eisner: Laffite, your refund is being processed. You will receive it when I am finally kicked to the curb.
Hairboy079: Wohoo! :D

refurbmike
01-15-2003, 04:02 PM
There's truth to both sides of the argument here. Disneyland had received an order from the FBI to close the Castle for security purposes. The FBI had recieved threats on the building. Basically, the main problem was that if something did happen to the castle and the entrances collapsed, people would be trapped.

However, Disney has kept it closed for its own reasons. The Castle was being considered for closing for a while before the 9/11 incident - it just gave them a good excuse.

9/11 has been a good cover story for many CMs at the park. I've been told that one can't ride in the back of the monorail, the Mark Twain's bridge, the DLRR's engine car, etc. - all b/c of 9/11.

Until I see the Castle missing from the refurbishment list, I will believe that the Castle will re-open someday.

One last thing to think about: Randy said, "As we allow ourselves to understand a better use of that space and we get a chance to update that space, we will continue to look at that. At this time, there are no short-term plans for it to re-open." So either Randy is lying or he doesn't believe the attraction is down due to 9/11.

DisneyGuy03
01-15-2003, 06:27 PM
Well, the pre-recorded hotline just moved up the reopening date of the castle from April 14th or something like that to April 1st (The line actually says that it will be closed through March 31st), So we can hope.

9/11 has been a good cover story for many CMs at the park. I've been told that one can't ride in the back of the monorail, the Mark Twain's bridge, the DLRR's engine car, etc. - all b/c of 9/11.

If a terrorist got into one of these things what would they do with them? They are all on tracks, oh you can ride in the back of the monorail, but not up front with the driver.

Baloo
01-15-2003, 07:26 PM
i guess they could stop the monorail, train or whatever at certian locations around the resort and keep some hostages or plant a bomb and cause the main engines to derail and take the rest of the cars with them.

I don't know why but i don't see why the castle would be closed only because of security reasons. There are many more crowded areas of the park that have small hideaways that could concela weapons and cause major damage. What they coudl do is have a CM monitor the entrance of the attraction and have him here do a walkthrough every few minutes to make sure everything is ok. With all the technology available cameras could also be placed inside the walkthrough with montiors at a CM station near the exit or entrance. Or they could just built a nice cubicle area and have all guest leave large merchandise at entrance and pick up when you exit. It can't be that dificult the castle really never has a line since most people even know it has a walkthrough.