PDA

View Full Version : drained ROA

drjones
01-13-2003, 07:28 AM
went to DL yesterday and realized the best place to view the drained ROA is on the DL railroad from NOS. I guess they left a little water for the ducks and koi fish. I'm probably going to go again today to check on it, being that i only work a couple of minutes from the park.. OH, another good view is from the frontierland McDonalds french fry cart across from Big Thunder.

cstephens
01-13-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by drjones
went to DL yesterday and realized the best place to view the drained ROA is on the DL railroad from NOS. I guess they left a little water for the ducks and koi fish. I'm probably going to go again today to check on it, being that i only work a couple of minutes from the park.. OH, another good view is from the frontierland McDonalds french fry cart across from Big Thunder.

I'm thinking it would be a good view from the balcony of the Disney Gallery. Have you tried up there?

Gemini Cricket
01-13-2003, 03:53 PM
What about from The Hungry Bear Restaurant? Can you look over the balcony there?

Ghoulish Delight
01-13-2003, 04:01 PM
Or the path that goes around back of the McDonalds fry shack (and past the Columbia dock and over the turn-around after the Splash drop). I'd imagine (if they didn't build the fence up high) that there'd be a pretty good view from there.

drjones
01-13-2003, 06:24 PM
went to Dl for the afternoon today, unfortunately the hungry bear restaurant is closed durung the renovation, and the disney gallery you get a good view of the fantasmic staging area right behind the fence...
on a couple of side notes: tom sawyer and becky thatcher character meet and greets! volunteers can paint the fence. Unfortunately few kids know who tom sawyer is, much less becky thatcher....
also......the sign is up for the queue of "the many adventures of Winnie the Pooh" , and it looks like you ride in giant honey pots.....you can see the "pots" on the DL RR if you look behind you as you pass Critter Country"
cool, huh?

Not Afraid
01-13-2003, 07:09 PM
The Hungry Bear was open on Sunday and there are great views of the drained river available for all to see (and some cute kitty playtime views too:) ).

I had no idea there were Koi in the river. Being the DL wildlife junkie that I am, I'm a bit embarassed by this.:eek: I did notice three or four egrets hanging out in the mostly drained river.

I think for a "normal" person, spending time looking at a drained rivers would not be interesting. I, however, find it fascinating.

Laffite
01-13-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid

I think for a "normal" person, spending time looking at a drained rivers would not be interesting. I, however, find it fascinating.

Yes. You don't see a river drained and refilled everyday, or see snow in New Orleans (http://home.earthlink.net/~captbulldog/118-1859_IMG.JPG). Only at Disneyland!

Ghoulish Delight
01-13-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I had no idea there were Koi in the river. And, if there are still any left, there used to be quite a bit more....pre-Fantasmic. We had an ex-CM tell of a rather unsettling experience on the first run of the firey show. Mmmmm, coy flambe.

drjones
01-14-2003, 12:17 AM
there is still a few koi left, although they are concentrated in the little areas that still have water. kinda makes for easy pickin's for the cat population in the park...

stitcher
01-14-2003, 08:42 AM
That then leaves for more Mickey's.
<as one scurries across the Jungle Cruise Dock>

Gemini Cricket
01-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
And, if there are still any left, there used to be quite a bit more....pre-Fantasmic. We had an ex-CM tell of a rather unsettling experience on the first run of the firey show. Mmmmm, coy flambe.
Yeah, I heard that's what happened to all those missing ducks too. :D

Ghoulish Delight
01-14-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
Yeah, I heard that's what happened to all those missing ducks too. :D No, those were sucked into the raging rapids around the bend.

Laffite
01-14-2003, 11:12 AM
"sucked" into?

I saw a few ducks either swam or just floated right into Mark Twain's paddle wheel. What's that all about?

Ghoulish Delight
01-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Laffite
"sucked" into?
The rapid effect is a simple one. Submerged pumps that suck water in one end and force it our the other to create turbulence on the water's surface. Unfortunately, ducks have been known to get a little too close to the intake. Supposedly, that's why the rapids look so lame now. They were forced to reduce the power on the pumps so as to not present such a danger to the ducks.

DisneyGuy03
01-14-2003, 12:39 PM
That's a bunch of bull, you could simply install grates that would prevent the ducks from getting sucked in.....it's once again, not paying for the appropriate maintenance.......I am not saying that you weren't told that, just that whoever told you that was wrong, and they were probably told the same thing, so as to cover for a lack of maintenance on the system.