PDA

View Full Version : Planes and Helicopters Yesterday? (Thu, Jul 23, 2009)

bigrockstar
07-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Anybody else notice the 3 or 4 planes and helicopters over DLR yesterday? I heard a few people comment "I thought Disneyland was a no-fly zone..." A couple of them might have just been close enough to appear to be over the park, but on one occasion, one of the helicopters got close enough for me to notice the red and blue lights on either side. Could that have been law enforcement? They almost cancelled the fireworks... it seems like a ridiculous question to me, but do they ever test wind conditions with aircraft? I have never seen aircraft over DL, that I can remember.

Malcon10t
07-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Anybody else notice the 3 or 4 planes and helicopters over DLR yesterday? I heard a few people comment "I thought Disneyland was a no-fly zone..." A couple of them might have just been close enough to appear to be over the park, but on one occasion, one of the helicopters got close enough for me to notice the red and blue lights on either side. Could that have been law enforcement? They almost cancelled the fireworks... it seems like a ridiculous question to me, but do they ever test wind conditions with aircraft? I have never seen aircraft over DL, that I can remember.
No, they don't use aircraft to test weather conditions for the fireworks. No, there is not a "No FLy Zone" over Disneyland. Yes, there is a "Restricted Airspace" over Disneyland which says you can't fly below 3000' (about a 1/2 mile) without requesting permission. Basically, it prevents banner tows over Disneyland. I have flown over DIsneyland. I see aircraft over Disneyland every trip, but you have to look and most people don't. It can actually be in the flight path to Orange County airport.

I-5 runs along side Disneyland. It is not unusual to see law enforcement copters flying low. One night, the spotlights kept hitting the Autopia area.

dznyphreak
07-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Is it wrong of me to hope that they were filming new Soarin' footage? ;)

DizneyMommy
07-25-2009, 05:32 AM
If it was after about 7, they might have actually been checking out the nasty accident on the 57 and stumbling over each other so making wide passes. It was on every news channel and every one had an aerial view, plus the law enforcement choppers, it was probably pretty crowded up there. That's kinda far but a possibility

Phantom2006
07-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Yeah there was a bad accident on the 57 South near the Nutwood Ave exit. The accident shut down the 57 in both directions. There was 2 helicopters that stayed and hovered over the accident and there was a few other helicopters that would come in and out.

Bytebear
07-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Is it wrong of me to hope that they were filming new Soarin' footage? ;)

It's not wrong to hope, but it is unlikely. When they did the original soarin', it was after hours, and the people on Main Street were Cast Members in street clothes. They had to do the shoot several times because people kept looking up at the camera, despite instructions not to. I can't imagine they would be able to get a decent take with no direction at all.