PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year...?

jamsandwich
01-12-2003, 07:11 PM
My wife appears to be growing addicted to Disneyland :)

Coming from Canada, though, it's gotta be a once a year proposition, so I'm wondering what you Disney vets think is a better time of year.

The two times we've gone together were both in mid-May, and the parks generally seemed quiet. Before I got married, I'd been a couple of times myself -- once at Christmas, and it was (as I trust you folks all know) complete madness.

A May return is probably possible, but this year we'd like to go at another time. We're thinking October, around Halloween time, so as to avoid the summer busy times, spring break and other traditional holidays.

My wife thinks it's an ideal time to go, and she's crazy about Halloween, so I'm sure a Halloween in Disneyland will be a lot of fun for her.

But like Christmas, I'm sure Halloween (at least the day itself) will be pretty busy... not likely as busy as Christmas Day, but busy nonetheless.

So to make the really long question short:

How does October compare to the rest of the year in terms of how busy the parks are?

Also, what's the deal with Haunted Mansion Holiday? I've seen it mentioned and it sounds kind of neat. When did they start doing that, and what's the difference?

Also, I tried to check at Disney's site, but there didn't seem to be any info... but is there any indication on what's not running at Disneyland and California Adventure... if not in October, now at least?

Appreciate all the help

-Jamie

mad4mky
01-12-2003, 08:50 PM
We LOVE going in October!
The weather is beautiful that time of year. Normally, its not so busy during the week...but this past October, my youngest daughter and I went...and it was sooo busy. But, the World Series was going...and we happened to go right smack in the middle of that. A local hospital was having a big charity walk. Mouse Planet was having their Mouse Adventure...and the parks were very busy.
Even the Monday after that particular weekend was busy.

But...normally...its a beautiful time to go. Not so hot as summer. Warm days...a little cooler at night. You can get away with shorts during the day, and just throw on a sweatshirt at night...

Plus...they open Haunted Mansion Holiday then...and that's a lot of fun to see if you have never seen it. They do a layover of the Haunted Mansion to make it "The NIghtmare Before Christmas"...with Jack Skellington and his fellow inhabitants of Halloween Town! It's quite fun. It lasts from early October to Jan. 6th.

I'd say...since you have been in May...try October...both are nice times (In fact, that is when we go...May and October...but this past year, it was April, October....sometimes in December...and this year January already. Confused yet? But normally May and October)...
:D

MouseWife
01-12-2003, 08:59 PM
And, if you are coming all of the way down from Canada, you will most likely have more than one day at the park.

So, if it is a little crowded you will still have more time to enjoy it.

Daisymae81183
01-15-2003, 09:30 PM
so far the best time of year that we have gone is Thanksgiving Day. I know everyone says that all holidays are crowded, but really it was pretty dead. I went about a year ago on that day, and on of the CM was telling us that the year before it was so crowded that they needed to tripple the staff, but this year they did that and ended up sending 2/3 of the staff home. I think that it just depends on the year. We went to DTD the day after and the line for DLR was HORRIBLE! SO I think that any time can be crowded and same in the opposite, any time can be dead!!!

Mickeyslittlehelper
01-15-2003, 10:09 PM
I am also from Canada, Victoria BC, you? i have been several times in the last few years. The only times I have been was late August (23 to sept 3) and after the American Thanksgiving (end of november, early December). Both are great times to go. Less crowds, and they have most attractions availble at those times.

Just a few suggestions,
John

Darkbeer
01-15-2003, 11:52 PM
October is not bad, especially Halloween day. Knott's is the park that owns Halloween, just like Disneyland owns Christmas in Southern California.

What will be closed, well, based on history, the Matterhorn, it traditionally closes right after Labor Day for a lengthy rehab, and this year, Space Mountain should close right after Labor Day for the replacement of all its track. Also, it's a small world closes in early October to switch over to the holiday version, which opens in early November. The Haunted Mansion closes right after Labor Day to reopen early October. And of course, other attractions might close due to breakdowns, safety issues, etc....

So late October is a great time to come to the DLR, but plan to spend an evening at Knott's to give your wife a special Halloween experience!

Sophie832
01-16-2003, 03:31 AM
Before the world of annual passes, my dad and I would always go during the week. Anytime during the week that's not during the summer or Christmas break, or a Monday holiday, is usually pretty calm crowd-wise.

As for weather, Anaheim has its share of rain, but I actually don't mind that too much because it means less people in the parks. However, it also means some of the outdoor rides will be closed, and there might not be fireworks that night. Rain doesn't usually last more than a couple of days, though, so you should be ok.

julia
01-16-2003, 02:27 PM
I can understand a growing addiction to Disneyland - I always tell my husband that I want to live at Disneyland in the Grand Californian, eating all of the wonderful chocolate. I find a way to join him on his overnight business trips, just so I can go to Disneyland for the day while he goes to the corporate regional office to work. I think my husband is amused and concerned all at the same time....

The best times to visit Disneyland are when the majority of children are in school and not out on spring break, American Thanksgiving, out for a long holiday weekend, etc. October is a great time to go because Disney has a special fall package sale - this year it was the Fall and Holiday Getaway with a free night and a Disney holiday ornament with some excellent prices at the Disneyland Resort hotels and many of the Good Neighbor Hotels.

Have a great time!

Morrigoon
01-16-2003, 03:08 PM
If you want the place to yourself: rainy weekday (Tue and Wed are best) in February.

If you want things to actually be open: yeah, October or May, the shoulder seasons.

EandCDad
01-18-2003, 05:22 AM
I'm gonna throw out an alternate to the October: early to mid-November. This probably depends on your desire to be in Disneyland on Haloween.

If you go during, say, the second week in November, you get low crowds (it's dead during the week) but all the Christmas type stuff: Christmas decorations, shows, parades, fireworks, special foods etc. Haunted Mansion Holiday is still running but you also get its a small world Holiday, which most people prefer to the original.

I would note, though, that if you during the weekend, even in November it can be crowded. There are LOTS of Annual Passholders these days and they seem to really love to go during the weekends in November and December. So this suggestion is only really valid if you go during the week. Have fun!

Sharby
01-18-2003, 07:00 AM
I agree with EandCDad about early to mid-November. Our family had the best time in 1993. We celebrated 2 birthdays that trip - although weather in the early am and late pm was coolish. Strangely enough, the other times we have gone have almost always been in May. We enjoyed those times too!

In any event, jamsandwich, whatever you do - make sure you never go to WDW or your wife will be hooked on Disney big-time

:D

because once one of my family members saw WDW - he didn't want to ever go back to DL - especially when he heard/read about DCA :rolleyes:

So. WDW - possibly this fall (in the pre-pre-pre-planning stages).

jamsandwich
01-18-2003, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the advice and details... I don't know if it's made the decision any easier, though :).

We're not sure when we plan on going. May remains an option, and my wife would rather go sooner than later (plus prices are better from what I can tell). But the holiday time could be really cool as well.

One of the considerations is that I haven't actually been on Space Mountain for pretty much ever (I went on it at five years old - and never since for a handful of different reasons), and I do know they're closing it down before October.

Speaking of WDW, I've never been, but it's also a potential consideration... I guess I should pose this in the other forum, but I read (here on Mouseplanet) on changes to some of the rides, in particular personal favorites like Pirates of the Carribean... :(

I also see Pirates is down in May according to this site, which is a big black mark on travelling then... Space Mountain or no...

-Jamie