PDA

View Full Version : It's A Small World-- behind the scenes. Does this bother anyone else?

MaxandHenrysmom
07-23-2009, 08:32 AM
:eyeroll:Last summer when we were there, of course IASW was closed for refurbishing, so I didn't get to go on my childhood favorite. This summer we finally got to go, BUT I was a little dissapointed. I know, I'm sorry, but it just did not live up to my expectations. I enjoyed the music and the scenery as always, but this time I noticed something that really bothered me. It seemed to be so light inside of the ride that if I looked over the boat at all I could see cords, plugs, backsides of sets, etc. It really took the magic away for me and left me a little sad and dissapointed. I just don't remember being able to see so much "behind the scenes" stuff before. Have any of you noticed this or am I the only one bothered by it?

disneylandgirl
07-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Did you ride it a night? If you ride at night, your eyes are already adjusted to the dark, so you might have noticed more of the "backstage" stuff.

MaxandHenrysmom
07-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Actually, we rode it twice and both times it was in the early evening. The thing that I thought was so strange was that it was very brightly lit inside. I thought I remembered it being darker. If it would have been darker inside, I doubt we would have seen any of the unsightly, un-magical stuff.

disneylandgirl
07-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Hmmm... maybe you just don't remember the backstage stuff from last time? I always remember seeing that kind of stuff...

cstephens
07-23-2009, 11:03 AM
It seemed to be so light inside of the ride that if I looked over the boat at all I could see cords, plugs, backsides of sets, etc. It really took the magic away for me and left me a little sad and dissapointed. I just don't remember being able to see so much "behind the scenes" stuff before. Have any of you noticed this or am I the only one bothered by it?

I remember seeing that stuff every time I've ridden it. Stuff is not hidden all that well, but it's never bothered me.

DisneylandDad
07-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Had you been on the ride as an adult or just when you were a child? IASW has always been not that well disguised, it's just kids don't usually notice it.

Kids are usually singing/humming along or bigger kids are writhing in the seat because they can't believe they had to go on this little kids ride.

Donald Duck Fan68
07-23-2009, 12:46 PM
I've always noticed that whenever I rode, from pre-teen to adult. I think kids don't notice it because of their point of view and the sight lines. I'm not too bothered by it. I'm more bothered with being unable to get the song out of my head after I've ridden it.

Second Star
07-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Had you been on the ride as an adult or just when you were a child? IASW has always been not that well disguised, it's just kids don't usually notice it.

Kids are usually singing/humming along or bigger kids are writhing in the seat because they can't believe they had to go on this little kids ride.

I guess I'm just a big kid, cuz I don't usually notice that stuff. :D I too busy looking for the magic.

and BTW, I do like how they incorporated the Disney theming in the refurb. IMO, it was done tastefully and appropriately. I didn't see anywhere that a character was throw in just to add the character.

backsthepack
07-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I have always noticed it. It sort of bugs me in a way, a very small way. But most of the time I sort of make myself not see it.

HobbitFeet
07-23-2009, 09:32 PM
The first time I rode it as an adult, I was very disappointed in that same way. I stared at the ceiling tiles, I saw dust everywhere, etc. It was my favorite ride as a child, and I was nearly in tears b/c of how upset I was to be noticing those things.

Then it closed for refurb, we got "hooked" on Disney, and when I finally went on it again, I didn't notice that stuff.

For me, it was mainly my own attitude (and perhaps they dusted, LOL), and I haven't felt that sad since.

MuckaMowie
07-24-2009, 06:40 AM
Look at Disneyland from a child's eye. . .that is the key. Then the magic never fades:)

spectromen
07-24-2009, 07:39 AM
I don't think it's any brighter inside - from looking at the ceiling, they look like the same lights are still in use except for the LEDs in the finale room. Like others have said, it's simply a matter of what you're focusing on as you ride through. Our version has always had a lot of backstage visibility - notsomuch in Florida or Japan.

DizMe
07-24-2009, 09:55 AM
The first time I rode it as an adult, I was very disappointed in that same way. I stared at the ceiling tiles, I saw dust everywhere, etc. It was my favorite ride as a child, and I was nearly in tears b/c of how upset I was to be noticing those things.

Then it closed for refurb, we got "hooked" on Disney, and when I finally went on it again, I didn't notice that stuff.

For me, it was mainly my own attitude (and perhaps they dusted, LOL), and I haven't felt that sad since.

I had a trip like this when I was about 11ish. Suddenly, I noticed all kinds of things I'd never observed as a "little" kid. It was horrible. Exits, trash, cracks, missing ceiling tiles...not just in IASW but everywhere. I was devastated because I thought the magic was gone permanently. But I came to terms with it, apparently, because I tuned it out the next time I went (about a year later) and have held onto the magic ever since. It's not the same total believing as when I was little, but in many ways it is just as strong.