PDA

View Full Version : Animation Academy Tutorials?

Toocherie
07-21-2009, 03:40 PM
I love love love doing the Animation Academy and learning to draw characters. Just wondering if anyone knows of a book that compiles the various characters and instructions for them and/or website where someone may have posted their drawings and instructions? I would love to try my hand at some of the characters at my own pace.

Second Star
07-21-2009, 03:50 PM
If I remember correctly the shop that is just off the Animation Academy in DCA has some books on drawing characters. I'll check with my DD because I think we got her some of the books there.

And you might want to check out this link on Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=drawing+disney+characters&sprefix=Drawing+Dis)

HobbitFeet
07-21-2009, 05:36 PM
The last couple times we've gone, I've tried to write down each step on the side of my paper so I can do it while at home! I haven't been very successful, LOL...maybe someday I can just go for class after class, and instead of drawing the character I'll just draw the steps. It's hard, though, b/c once you get halfway into it, you have to draw SO much to show what the next step is!

It's nice to know there are people who love the AA as much as we do. :)

candles71
07-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Oh we love it too. The drawings have their own album.

Toocherie
07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
The last couple times we've gone, I've tried to write down each step on the side of my paper so I can do it while at home! I haven't been very successful, LOL...maybe someday I can just go for class after class, and instead of drawing the character I'll just draw the steps. It's hard, though, b/c once you get halfway into it, you have to draw SO much to show what the next step is!

It's nice to know there are people who love the AA as much as we do. :)

Molly--next you're down here I'll really try to get over to DLR at the same time and we can go to the academy together--I would love to see E draw!

BlkPearlCptn
07-21-2009, 09:18 PM
"Michael's" usually carries the How To Draw books of various Disney characters. They are step by step and usually focus on the different films and characters in them. (i.e. Lilo and Stitch, etc.) Good luck.

mousecanuck
07-22-2009, 12:32 PM
There is a series of books 'learn to draw' - by Walter Foster. He does a 'how to draw' series for nickelodeon (we have the Sponge Bob one). Of the Disney ones 'Disney Magic Artist', we have 'Mickey Mouse and His Friends' and there are a pile of others (Pooh, Princesses, and the various movies as mentioned). They are quite basic, follow the same lines as Animation Academy (which is a favorite activity of ours - we have so far done it three times each trip over two big trips) except that the book states to erase your 'guidelines' vs. do them very lightly and then darken in the others once you're done. And we got both our books at Michael's.

Toocherie
07-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Great tips! Thanks everyone--I'll check out MIchaels.

KDCartoons
07-22-2009, 01:55 PM
There's a series of how-to books that MIGHT be out-of-print, published back in 1983 by Simon and Schuster called "Mickey's Drawing Class"

Here is the ISBN # for the Pluto edition: 0-671-44496-4

I have a Goofy edition ( ISBN # is the same), and I'm certain there's a Mickey and Donald one, at least--and possibly others.

These are authored and drawn by Lee J. Ames--and are very good as far as "how to's" go--and the characters are done on model.

angcould
07-26-2009, 09:02 PM
My son loves to draw is this a good thing to get him into, we will be down there next month, how long are the classes, was hoping for a possible afternoon thing that was cool and would be relaxing besides just going back
to the hotel and swimming, something we can do that is fun but relaxing and
out of the crowds.....

Toocherie
07-27-2009, 01:15 PM
My son loves to draw is this a good thing to get him into, we will be down there next month, how long are the classes,

The class is offered every 30 minutes and lasts maybe 15-20 minutes. They usually show a short film (usually premiering Disney's latest movie) and then they go into the teaching part of the class. It is the perfect place to cool down and relax and generally there is no issue getting a seat. I like to go from the class to Turtle Talk with Crush (also cool in there!) then back to the Animation Academy for a second drawing class. A perfect place to spend a hot afternoon.

Drince88
07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
A perfect place to spend a hot afternoon.
The whole animation area is great for that - including the library where you answer questions to find out what character you're most like - and the sound studio where you add your voice. Though those parts can get crowded (if they're still there - I don't think we tried to do either last trip, which was over a year ago).

Second Star
07-27-2009, 02:14 PM
The whole animation area is great for that - including the library where you answer questions to find out what character you're most like - and the sound studio where you add your voice. Though those parts can get crowded (if they're still there - I don't think we tried to do either last trip, which was over a year ago).

Yup they were there as of the middle of last month. And, I agree the Animation building can be a very nice place to spend a hot LA afternoon. :)

HobbitFeet
07-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Good gravy, Toocherie, I didn't even realize it was you I was replying to. Where is my brain??????

I swear I should just get on a plane right now...it's probably the same temp in Anaheim as it is here in Tacoma...I might as well be at DCA where there's air conditioning rather than hiding in the condo with a wet towel on my head!

Toocherie
07-28-2009, 02:51 PM
I swear I should just get on a plane right now...it's probably the same temp in Anaheim as it is here in Tacoma...I might as well be at DCA where there's air conditioning rather than hiding in the condo with a wet towel on my head!

LOL--I heard it was pretty hot in Washington right now! Stay cool!

angcould
07-29-2009, 01:51 PM
LOL--I heard it was pretty hot in Washington right now! Stay cool!

Salem Oregon here, its 104 degrees today, humidity is out of this world, I feel like I went to bed sunday and woke up in the south! I want my 80/90's back!!!!!!!

angcould
07-29-2009, 01:53 PM
The class is offered every 30 minutes and lasts maybe 15-20 minutes. They usually show a short film (usually premiering Disney's latest movie) and then they go into the teaching part of the class. It is the perfect place to cool down and relax and generally there is no issue getting a seat. I like to go from the class to Turtle Talk with Crush (also cool in there!) then back to the Animation Academy for a second drawing class. A perfect place to spend a hot afternoon.

And thanks for the info Toocherie, we will definately have to check it out at least one of our afternoons, we also want to see Aladdins show too so both
will be good hot afternoon distractions.