PDA

View Full Version : People Stopping

Pages : [1] 2 3

Fearless Mouse
01-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Is it written somewhere that most people have to stop right in the middle of the walkways to look at maps and stuff like that. I mean i always try to get to the side to do these things. It just kinda peeves me when people stop right there in the walkway to do stuff so others have to try to find a way around em. OK im done i feel better.

DisneyGuy03
01-11-2003, 09:25 PM
It's really annoying when they do that right in front of a wheel chair, a friend of mine is in one and people do that, my favorite though was when a guy stopped right infront of an ECV, turned around and tripped over the ECV and cursed the guy in the ECV out, the guy inthe ECV when I started talking with him just laughed about it, thinking it's funny how people don't pay attention, the ECV even stopped so that he wouldn't get in the way......I do agree that people need to learn to think about where they stop a bit, ok a lot more.

tabacco
01-11-2003, 09:26 PM
I really hate that, and not just at DLR. People do it all the time, everywhere. Argh!

GoofyDad
01-11-2003, 09:39 PM
I read those instructions that you mentioned, they are in Disneyland for Dummies. I believe it is tip #43 (and I quote): "Make sure to stop abruptly wherever you are whenever you feel the need to look at a map or find the missing chapstick in the bottom of your fanny pack. Stopping in the middle of a busy walkway is preferable!"

My favorite is tip #44: "Whenever you find a walkway blocked by clueless people staring at a map or fumbling for chapstick, make sure to teach them a lesson by ramming their Achilles' tendon with your $7 stroller."

That's why I always wear high-top hiking boots. ;)

DisneyGuy03
01-11-2003, 09:40 PM
I know, but it is more prevelant at DLR, I think a lot of people leave thier brains either at home or at the gate to the parking lot, not sure which, when they go and of course, this isn't all, but a lot of them.

HBTiggerFan
01-11-2003, 10:03 PM
I almost got decked by a woman who got her ankle lightly tapped by either a foot or the footrest of the chair after she cut me off when I was carefully pushing a wheelchair. :eek:

MammaSilva
01-11-2003, 10:06 PM
What makes that incident worse was she cut HBTF off, got tapped by my daughters tennis shoe NOT the wheel chair, CHASED HBTF and kicked at her in addition to the verbal threats.....it's almost as if wheelchairs/EVC's/strollers become invisible and then of course it's their fault when someone gets clipped.....

Rallymonkey23
01-11-2003, 10:50 PM
I can't tell you how many times my mom has had people trip over her ECV. One time this guys almost did a face plant right in the middle of Main Street. His hands got scratched pretty bad and had to go to First Aid.

IFlyAway
01-11-2003, 11:22 PM
You know what I hate? Those people who run into the back of me when I stop abruptly. Please follow at a safe distance!

rexfarms
01-11-2003, 11:54 PM
Lots of guests just leave their brains at the gate, they think nothing will go wrong because Disneyland is the happiest place on earth. Hopefully one day they will learn. Oh and where did you get the Disneyland for Dummies list GoofyDad?:)

PurpleDove33
01-12-2003, 12:25 AM
As a lot of you know I am in a wheelchair. And what really gets me is when I see someone headed my way, I come to a complete stop to my own detrament and they run into me and cuss me out for running into them. And I just say to them, you didn't watch where you were going and I wasn't even moving. The other thing is, that people walk towards me and it is so much easier for them to go around me then for me to go around them. And of course most people don't look where they are going as if I am invisable and they don't see me. Although once I had a CM tell me yrs ago who was working in this one attraction, have you run anyone over outside? The more people you run over is the less people I have to deal with. I couldn't believe he even said this and I said if you hate dealing with people so much, why are you working here at DL? I just got a funny look back from him and I went on my way.

MonorailMan
01-12-2003, 02:12 AM
I use to be guilty of the ol', "Stop in the middle of the walkway thing." I use to do it all of the time. Then Common Sense kicked it, and now I yield to the side. :) :rolleyes:

It bothers me to. I can't stand how so many people do it. especally in Queues. (And I can't type worth a darn thin morning.) ;)

Doodle Duck
01-12-2003, 07:48 AM
I like the ones who are stopped...on a path...doorway etc....and then suddenly turn around and start walking in the other direction completely oblivious that there is ANYONE else on the same planet. Me, being in Defensive Walking Mode at all times, presents get a rude shock that there are 300 pound imovable objects very close in their newly decided path. These people don't leave thier brains at the gate...they are self absorbed morons outside as well.

cstephens
01-12-2003, 07:58 AM
Yes, the "stopping in the middle of a walkway to have a meeting" thing is very annoying, though I have to admit to having been part of such a group on occasion, either as a culprit or a standbyer. I can completely see how you sometimes just don't realize you're doing it. We usually have someone in the group (we apparently take turns, since it's not always the same person) who is paying enough attention to notice that we've done it and will move the group aside.

I think the two worst situations I've seen are:

1. A group of people standing together to chat or plan or something, but they felt the need to park their 5 strollers side by side across the walkway - what is this, a blockade?

2. On the overpass walkway into Adventureland from the hub, there were three characters (Genie, Baloo and someone else, I forget who) standing there separately staggered, all having a meet and greet. The walkway/bridge is pretty narrow anyway, so with that many people waiting for autographs and pictures, staggered even, it was almost impossible to get through. Maybe character interaction need to rethink that particular move.

And yeah, the "invisible wheelchair" thing is pretty bad. Excuse me, I am not in fact a ladder for you to climb on, please get off me. Recently, we were in DL with a friend who needed a wheelchair for the day. We'd just left the rental area heading into Town Square. A group of people were standing right where the curb dips, so I walked that way and said "excuse us" so that our friend in the wheelchair could get through without diving off the curb. They just all kind of stared at me. I had to say it again, a bit more forcefully before they would move slightly over.

I've only been in an ECV once, and it was preferable mostly because when people didn't look where they were going and ran into me, it didn't hurt me one bit as they ran into the mechanism in the front rather than my legs. I pretty much just stared at them, completely unsympathetic to whatever body part they just whacked into the ECV. They usually went away sheepishly.

DisneyGuy03
01-12-2003, 09:24 AM
My favorite is tip #44: "Whenever you find a walkway blocked by clueless people staring at a map or fumbling for chapstick, make sure to teach them a lesson by ramming their Achilles' tendon with your $7 stroller."
This doesn't hurt nearly as much as the old metal ones......which I have been the victim of a lot, because when in a crowded area, they love to ram into you when you can't even move one step, so I finally started walking between everyone (really, it's not that hard) and get really nasty looks, but at least I don't get blody ankles by the end of the night.

I do agree that a lot of people don't see wheel chairs, which is definitely a problem.

MammaSilva
01-12-2003, 10:25 AM
actually I've seriously considered getting one of those old "ooga ooga" horns and mounting it on her wheelchair and putting a battery operated flashing light on the back of it....don't know if it would help but at least she'd have fun instead of being upset that "peoples hit me momma"

Gemini Cricket
01-12-2003, 10:35 AM
But even more dangerous are the "stop abruptly in the middle of a walkway to have a short meeting and make a U-turn right into you" people.

There is a tremendous cast of these sort of characters at Disneyland. It's all part of the experience, I guess.

There are:

1. The "I'm faking just so I can ride around in a wheelchair" people.

2. The "cross right in front of you while you're taking a picture" guy.

3. The "talk to my children so loud that everybody knows our business" mom.

4. The "what do you mean my child is too short for this ride?" dad.

5. The "talk throughout Pirates" couple.

6. The "running slow when a CM just told not to run" kids.

7. The "stop abruptly in the middle of a walkway to have a meeting" people.

8. The "the five of us must must hold hands and walk next to each other" family.

9. The "face the wrong way in the ride queue, stopping the flow" person (I see this person often in the Space Mtn line).

There are a bunch...

Personally, I think it's all about putting yourself in other people's shoes. I was raised to be considerate of others. ie. If you're in a crowded area need to stop, pull over where no one is and then stop. Growing up in Hawaii, that was a big thing: consideration.

:)

Although, I must say I have been a #2, a #6 and a #9 from time to time. Not on purpose, of course... :D

TecTalker2K
01-12-2003, 10:59 AM
I was in the Viejas Outlet center onetime. a friend of mine was pushing me in my wheel chair. For the most part, everyone was very nice and cleared the way. they even helped with the doors. thee waqs one snooty young blond woman that looked at me as though I was the plague and turned her back to me so that we had to inch past her. Well, I figured since my hads weren't occupied her her little butt was sticking out in my way.. Ummm.. I think you may hav guessed I let my evil side get the best of me. I hope she enjoyed it. Handicapped indeed. Heh.

rexfarms
01-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by TecTalker2K
I was in the Viejas Outlet center onetime. a friend of mine was pushing me in my wheel chair. For the most part, everyone was very nice and cleared the way. they even helped with the doors. thee waqs one snooty young blond woman that looked at me as though I was the plague and turned her back to me so that we had to inch past her. Well, I figured since my hads weren't occupied her her little butt was sticking out in my way.. Ummm.. I think you may hav guessed I let my evil side get the best of me. I hope she enjoyed it. Handicapped indeed. Heh.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Lashbear
01-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by PurpleDove33
.... The other thing is, that people walk towards me and it is so much easier for them to go around me then for me to go around them.....

That is SO true... I find it happens with Wheelchairs, Strollers & Shopping Trolleys. People without encumbrance expect YOU to circumnavigate them, when it would be so much easier for them to take that tiny step out of your way.

I have been known to bring my shopping trolley to a full halt in front of someone and glare at them until they condescend to shift...:rolleyes:

As Matron Momma Morton said "and even kids'll knock you down so's they can pass..... nobody's got no Class"

Lost Boy
01-12-2003, 08:19 PM
How about this one. I can't tell you how much this bugs me.

The people who are filing out of a vehicle that holds a number of people, like a train, or streetcar or Star Tours-like vehicle and as soon as they get clear of the door by about 1-inch, they stop to confer about where to go next. Right in front of the door! Thereby blocking said door and becoming, in effect, a door themselves. I just love it. NOT!! :mad:

DisneyGuy03
01-12-2003, 10:06 PM
How about the people that get off the tram, and even after the person anouncing on the tram tells them to get past the safety line before unfolding storllers, they unfold them the second they get off, on the wrong side of the safety line and even blocks people behind them from exiting.

DrumCorpsChick
01-12-2003, 10:34 PM
Ohh...we can't forget the "I'm really tall and I'm going to stand in front of you with my child on my shoulders to watch the fireworks" person. Personally, the parade traffic annoys me. People form like a wall with their strollers...and it's like personal space is competely annoyed. But there's nothing really to be done about that...it's just annoying.

DisneyGuy03
01-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Neverr had understood wnhy people have a problem with kids on their shoulders, the fireworks are in the sky and it can be hard for kids to see, my favorite is CMs saying that you have to sit for th fireworks show on main street, what is the point of that, you are looking over the castle?

Ok, sorry, couldn't resist.

I do agree that the parade traffic is really annoying, if we had a decent parade it might not be as bad, you'd at least get to see some of a cool parade while walking, but oh well, such is life.

dsnyredhead
01-13-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
Neverr had understood wnhy people have a problem with kids on their shoulders, the fireworks are in the sky and it can be hard for kids to see, my favorite is CMs saying that you have to sit for th fireworks show on main street, what is the point of that, you are looking over the castle?

Ok, sorry, couldn't resist.

If the person is standing directly in front of you and is nearly 6 ft tall...yes a kid on his shoulders is now an eight to ten foot wall directly blocking your view. Yep it's a problem. Yes, the fireworks are in the sky, but when the eight-ten foot stand is directly in front of you it is difficult to see over. A person should be able to hold his/her kid in their arms so that his/her body is not that much higher than the 6 ft. person. I am all for kids getting to see the fireworks, but they shouldn't have to be that much higher than their own parents to see them.