PDA

View Full Version : Just got DLR Vacation Video. What the heck?

hairboy079
01-11-2003, 07:43 PM
I will say that the scenery shown in this video is very neat, but it has no content whatsoever! I have the 2002 WDW and DCL videos also, and both tell much more about the parks (and ships) than the DLR video did. They talked about one attraction in each area of the park breefly. Thats about it. Don't get me wrong, I like the movie, but still! Anyone else have anything else to say about the movies?

lisap
01-11-2003, 07:48 PM
All I know is whenever I watch it, I say...wow, that's my Park? And I live so close? And it's so beautiful? I must go right now!

So it certainly does the job with me ;). I don't really bother with the content, I just like the beautiful filtered shots of the landscaping. However, for someone who has never been to the Park, I wonder how helpful it is.

Tatertotsmommie
01-11-2003, 08:12 PM
I think the trip planning video is more of a long commercial for the DLR than a trip-planning aid, but I'm really glad I have it. Every time I watch it I get really excited about my upcoming trip, and my 3 year old asks to watch it at least once a day. She has to put it on when anyone comes to our house, to show them where she gets to go in March.

DisneyFan25863
01-11-2003, 08:24 PM
I got one as an "Special Preview for Annual Passholders" even though I have no clue as to why they would give a "vacation planning video/commercial" to someone who lives an hour away and already has a ticket (my annual pass). :rolleyes:

DisneyGuy03
01-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Thier trying to get the APs into the parks even more, so that they'll spend more money ;-) Either that or thier just trying to be nice, you pick.

GoofyDad
01-11-2003, 09:11 PM
We got the vacation planning video from WDW last year - now I really understandthe word "smarmy." The marketing folks have really turned the manipulation of baby-boomers via nostalgia into an art form. When it was over I felt like I wouldn't be "complete" if I didn't "relive my childhood fantasies" through the eyes of my children. AAAAAGGHH!!!

Nevertheless, we went to WDW last Spring and had a blast. I tried not to feel too much like a sheep....

EandCDad
01-12-2003, 05:54 AM
I don't see the video as much of a "vacation planning" tool. It's more like a idealized overview of the Resort. I think that's fairly typical of these types of videos. It sorta shows a person who doesn't know much: 1. what the park looks like 2. some basic highlights 3. a few key details. I think its supposed to be more of an appetite wetter rather than a nuts and bolts planner.

danyoung
01-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by hairboy079
I will say that the scenery shown in this video is very neat, but it has no content whatsoever! I have the 2002 WDW and DCL videos also, and both tell much more about the parks (and ships) than the DLR video did. They talked about one attraction in each area of the park breefly. Thats about it. Don't get me wrong, I like the movie, but still! Anyone else have anything else to say about the movies?

Is this the same video that they're selling in the parks on dvd and vhs? With the girl with the short dark hair in DL and the black guy in DCA? The DCA guy is pretty good, but the girl just makes me NUTS! She's so over the top cute and casual, and she actually makes a couple of flubs that waves a flag and says that she's just a hired gun (which of course she is, but it still irritates me!).

Tatertotsmommie
01-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by danyoung
Is this the same video that they're selling in the parks on dvd and vhs? With the girl with the short dark hair in DL and the black guy in DCA? The DCA guy is pretty good, but the girl just makes me NUTS! She's so over the top cute and casual, and she actually makes a couple of flubs that waves a flag and says that she's just a hired gun (which of course she is, but it still irritates me!).

That doesn't sound like the same video. There is a black guy hosting/narrating, but he does the whole thing, there is no girl with short dark hair in this video. I would hate to know that Disney was selling in the parks the same video they are giving out for free to anyone who requests one at their website! This is the first time I've used the quote feature, hope I did it right :)

DisneyGuy03
01-12-2003, 11:58 AM
No, it isn't the same, the vacation planning video is currently only available on VHS, which is kind of a bummer, since I have no VCR, jsut a DVD player, but the one in the park is a video, basically designed for those who don't bring video cameras to the park to still be able to have a video of some of thier day.

danyoung
01-13-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Tatertotsmommie
That doesn't sound like the same video. There is a black guy hosting/narrating, but he does the whole thing, there is no girl with short dark hair in this video. I would hate to know that Disney was selling in the parks the same video they are giving out for free to anyone who requests one at their website! This is the first time I've used the quote feature, hope I did it right :)

They usually change the free video 2 or 3 times a year, and it's usually pretty well done. That makes the crappy video/dvd that they're SELLING in the park even more heinous. It's shot beautifully, but it just doesn't have the right FEEL, if that makes any sense. Pretty disappointing.

hairboy079
01-13-2003, 07:42 AM
In reply to lisap, the movie is great and the scenery it shows is amazing, but if I were to use it to try and plan a vacation, all it would show me is the rides I want to hit and maybe which on-site resort I want to stay in. They do briefly talk about vacation packages, but not in great detail. It is still great though. I am watching it right now :rolleyes: and they just showed the courtyards around Neverland Pool at DLH. It is amazing! I'd give anything to go! It is kind of odd that I am a member of this board and I have never been to DL or WDW or have any future plans to.

jslivinski
02-06-2003, 02:53 PM
My personal opinion is to get the free-be and forget the video they sell in the park. There really isn't much difference between the two, except the park one is 20 minutes longer. Compared to past video offerings (such as A Day in Disneyland) it was a real disappointment. After watching the free video I wouldn't be surprised if they were done by the same people (ie director/producer), they have the same feel.

Laila!
02-08-2003, 02:00 PM
Well, I ordered my Vacation Video two months ago and I'm still waiting for it!!!

Do they send it to US & canada area only????

Bummer if they do....

disneyhead
02-09-2003, 07:28 PM
I haven't gotten this years, (I ordered it 2 weeks ago), but I do have last years. I noticed a few things that I thought were uncharacteristic for Disney. They usually hide their corporate marketing behind their nostalgic warm fuzzy image very well, but in the video they mentioned several things that made me say, "Hmmm? Weird." Like towards the end the narrator says "With 2 Theme Parks, 3 hotels, and an entertainment and shopping district with over 85 attractions, 21 shows, 3 parades, 70 restaurants and 91 shops. It can take more than a few days..." Sounds very corporate. The 70 restaurants and 91 shops part sounded odd to me. Like someone is going to stay an extra day so they can be sure not to miss the Bengal Bar-B-Que. Then the last thing they say is "Remember we don't just sell Disney, We are Disney". To me that just sounds odd.

DisneyFan25863
02-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by disneyhead
. Then the last thing they say is "Remember we don't just sell Disney, We are Disney". To me that just sounds odd.
Thats really wreid, I mean, of corse if you sell Disney Stuff you work for them! It dosn't make sence. (I don't feel like running a SP check, so bear with me :D)

Sharby
02-10-2003, 05:30 PM
They definitely make different versions for different markets. The WDW video for Canadians seems to feature a lot of shots of the Value resorts (at more than 1 and 1/2 times 'one' of our dollars for 'one' of your dollars :eek: - is it any wonder?) - I understand the DLR/DCA videos are similar. :rolleyes:

YellowMan
02-10-2003, 06:36 PM
Then the last thing they say is "Remember we don't just sell Disney, We are Disney". To me that just sounds odd. Holy moly! That sounds extremely corporate. It sounds like a line the suits would have posted around their offices to try and increase productivity.

Anyway, I bought the one in the parks a while back and was pretty disappointed. Apart from paying $30 for a very short DVD, the hosts (actually, the hostess in particular) was waaaayyy too sugary and sweet. She just got on my nerves. Also they go around the parks covering each land in maybe a minute or two max, covering some major rides with only a 15 second set of clips from it. I have actually found that the only part of the DVD that I enjoyed was the "Making of" feature where they showed some very nice helicopter views of the park and there was a time lapse sequence on DCA's construction. Definitely a waste of money.

As for the actual vacation planning videos, I haven't ever gotten one for Disneyland Resort. I got one for Walt Disney World in early 1999 and I watched it many times before going on my last trip there in December 1999, and I have watched it many times since. Something about that video makes me want to visit over and over again (even though I haven't been since 1999).

DisneyFan25863
02-10-2003, 06:43 PM
What's really strange is that they offer the WDW one on DVD and VHS, but the DLR one only in VHS. Wonder Why?????

Lashbear
02-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by YellowMan
Anyway, I bought the one in the parks a while back and was pretty disappointed. Apart from paying $30 for a very short DVD, the hosts (actually, the hostess in particular) was waaaayyy too sugary and sweet. She just got on my nerves. Also they go around the parks covering each land in maybe a minute or two max, covering some major rides with only a 15 second set of clips from it. I have actually found that the only part of the DVD that I enjoyed was the "Making of" feature where they showed some very nice helicopter views of the park and there was a time lapse sequence on DCA's construction. Definitely a waste of money.

BRAVO !!! Hear Hear !!

When I finally watched our DLR DVD, I was horrified - it is a VERY SHORT advertisement - nothing more !

It is supposed to be a souvenir DVD, but unlike the previous "Day at Disneyland" (which spent a whole 30 minutes on the Disneyland Park itself) it doesn't say "Hey, didn't we have a great time when we WENT there.." This one says "When you COME here, here's what you'll see" !?!?!

The emphasis on Dining and Shopping is truly VILE and shameless - it takes up over HALF of the content of the DVD:mad: !!!!

...I do agree the time-lapse construction is good, but at $60.00 Australian:eek: I expected a LOT better than I got.

.....and the host & hostess were WAY too fake - to the point of being unpleasant to watch !!

I will watch it again soon, and give you all the exact timing on how much of each it shows.

Cheers,
Rob.:mad:

danyoung
02-11-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by YellowMan

Wow! I had to look twice to make sure this wasn't a repeat of a post I made earlier in this thread. We see this video in exactly the same way, from the sugar sweet chick to the making of segment.

Do you remember the "A Day At Disneyland" video? They actually spent time in the attractions, like 2 or 3 minutes in the Jungle Cruise, for example. And they included an excellent taste of Fantasmic! The only bad part was that they concluded with the Electrical Parade, and I'm guessing that due to the lack of music rights they had to use a simulated theme. That parade IS the music as much as it's the pretty lights, so it left a funky taste. Other than that, the video was so far superior in almost every way to the current offering. This current thing was shot well, edited well, produced well. It just doesn't capture the "feel" that we all know exists in the original MK.

disneyhead
02-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Just a note:
both disneyland.com and disneyworld.com are offering NEW, FREE Vacation Planning Videos. And disneyworld.com is offering a free screensaver for download. I know we have been discussing these videos, but I thought I would mention the newer ones that are now available.
Now back to your regularly scheduled debate.

Sonya in Boise
02-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by disneyhead
"Remember we don't just sell Disney, We are Disney". To me that just sounds odd.

This part is at the end, where they are talking about the Disney Travel Company. It is shot AFTER the DL/DCA part and there is a pause/short break in between. I think their point is, why buy a Disney Vacation from some other dealer. Buy from the source.

The video isn't made as a to show you Disneyland/DCA, it made to make you buy a vacation to DLR. Of course it's going to have corporate tones to it.

My kids love this video. We watch it no less than twice a day and they love talking about the rides they are going to go on. So it works for our family.