PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair rental

Pages : [1] 2

hlr8705
07-16-2009, 06:46 PM
My question is this. My DH stepped on my foot when i was doing sit ups the other day, now im pretty sure it may be broken... if so can i rent a wheelchair? and if i do get a wheel chair, then can i use the exit to get on and off rides?

fairestoneofall
07-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Each attraction has a different set of rules as to where you enter. Some attractions are equipped so that you can go right thru the mail que.

MammaSilva
07-16-2009, 06:53 PM
All of DCA is HCA accessible, so the wheelchair will help relieve your pain but won't help you reduce any wait times. Disneyland is a mixture of accessible queues, I'd recommend the guest with disabilities guide.

hlr8705
07-16-2009, 06:57 PM
so in DCA i wait in line, in the wheel chair, how do i know where to enter in Dland? Is there a pass that some get so they cut to the front of the line?

adriennek
07-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Is there a pass that some get so they cut to the front of the line?

For Make-A-Wish children, yes.

If your husband is using a wheelchair, the Guests with Disabilities Guide and the CMs at the attractions will direct him where to go in Disneyland Park. Many attractions can handle only one guest with a Wheelchair at a time so some rides like Space Mountain and Pirates and small world have specific lines for guests with wheelchairs. M any of these lines have longer waits than the regular lines.

Adrienne

MammaSilva
07-16-2009, 07:07 PM
so in DCA i wait in line, in the wheel chair, how do i know where to enter in Dland? Is there a pass that some get so they cut to the front of the line?

There is no front of the line cuts unless you're a Make a Wish child... if you are using a wheelchair you use the accessible queues or you use the HCA entrance, which for some of the attractions is at the exit, a good example, if you are using a wheelchair, you go to the exit of space mountain, there is a waiting area, they take down a group to fill the special load area rocket...when that rocket comes back and unloads they send another group down, you can't use fast pass and the wait is usually longer than the regular lines. For Pirates, you go up the exit and wait, unless the line has extended to the end of the inside area, then they have a line outside the ramp of the exit and hold groups there til there is room on the wait area. In Fantasyland most of the rides you go to the exit and wait for a load time.

ON another note, I have to say that this quote

Is there a pass that some get so they cut to the front of the line?

is pretty offensive to those of us who have family members that have to use a wheelchair on a regular basis. I'd much rather 'have' to wait in a regular queue than have her need the HCA accomodation but even with the accomodation it's not CUTTING....

hlr8705
07-16-2009, 07:08 PM
For Make-A-Wish children, yes.

If your husband is using a wheelchair, the Guests with Disabilities Guide and the CMs at the attractions will direct him where to go in Disneyland Park. Many attractions can handle only one guest with a Wheelchair at a time so some rides like Space Mountain and Pirates and small world have specific lines for guests with wheelchairs. M any of these lines have longer waits than the regular lines.

Adrienne

I was askin cuz last time i was there there were adults that kept going in the exit with the wheelchair and some with just that pass... seems like it may be more of a hassle to do with the wheelchair...

hlr8705
07-16-2009, 07:11 PM
There is no front of the line cuts unless you're a Make a Wish child... if you are using a wheelchair you use the accessible queues or you use the HCA entrance, which for some of the attractions is at the exit, a good example, if you are using a wheelchair, you go to the exit of space mountain, there is a waiting area, they take down a group to fill the special load area rocket...when that rocket comes back and unloads they send another group down, you can't use fast pass and the wait is usually longer than the regular lines. For Pirates, you go up the exit and wait, unless the line has extended to the end of the inside area, then they have a line outside the ramp of the exit and hold groups there til there is room on the wait area. In Fantasyland most of the rides you go to the exit and wait for a load time.

ON another note, I have to say that this quote

is pretty offensive to those of us who have family members that have to use a wheelchair on a regular basis. I'd much rather 'have' to wait in a regular queue than have her need the HCA accomodation but even with the accomodation it's not CUTTING....

I did not mean it like that, as i said on my last post, i was simply asking a question... I didnt mean it to be rude. I think that using a wheelchair may be a problem in navigating the park... im not trying to use it to cut anything... sorry if it seemed that way.

adriennek
07-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I was askin cuz last time i was there there were adults that kept going in the exit with the wheelchair and some with just that pass

There are various passes available to guests with specific disabilities but the "Front of the Line" pass is reserved for Make-A-Wish children. You may have seen someone that appeared to you to be going to the front of the line but that wasn't necessarily what the pass actually said.

If you went to City Hall and explained your situation to them, they would advise you to rent a wheelchair and the chair would serve as your "pass" at rides.

See what your doctor says when you get your foot checked out. You might be able to get a walking cast?

Adrienne

MammaSilva
07-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Your question about the wheelchair wasn't offensive, your comment about that 'pass so they could cut' is offensive...you have no idea what those families are dealing with and believe me getting 'that pass' isn't as simple as walking in and saying oh hey I don't want to deal with lines today, there has to be a medical reason for them to consider issuing a Guest Assistance Pass...I can't think of a single family that needs one that wouldn't gladly trade having to wait in a regular queue than need to ask for the pass and again...it's not cutting.

hlr8705
07-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Your question about the wheelchair wasn't offensive, your comment about that 'pass so they could cut' is offensive...you have no idea what those families are dealing with and believe me getting 'that pass' isn't as simple as walking in and saying oh hey I don't want to deal with lines today, there has to be a medical reason for them to consider issuing a Guest Assistance Pass...I can't think of a single family that needs one that wouldn't gladly trade having to wait in a regular queue than need to ask for the pass and again...it's not cutting.

For that I am sorry. I should have worded it better. I work with kids in wheelchairs and i didnt mean it to be like they want to cut...

hlr8705
07-16-2009, 07:22 PM
There are various passes available to guests with specific disabilities but the "Front of the Line" pass is reserved for Make-A-Wish children. You may have seen someone that appeared to you to be going to the front of the line but that wasn't necessarily what the pass actually said.

If you went to City Hall and explained your situation to them, they would advise you to rent a wheelchair and the chair would serve as your "pass" at rides.

See what your doctor says when you get your foot checked out. You might be able to get a walking cast?

Adrienne

Thanks, i am going and i hope to get a walking cast.
or it just wrapped really really well...

Malcon10t
07-16-2009, 10:14 PM
My question is this. My DH stepped on my foot when i was doing sit ups the other day, now im pretty sure it may be broken... if so can i rent a wheelchair? and if i do get a wheel chair, then can i use the exit to get on and off rides?First, I highly recommend getting x-rays and a doc's opinion. MDM has broken bones in her feet numerous time. Once was a spiral fracture. Our podiatrist casts breaks. Plan to possibly be in a non-walking cast if it is broken.

If you do get a wheelchair, you will also get a Guest with Disabilities booklet. It will define how to use the queues. All of DCA is HA, so you will be in the regular queues. All of ToonTown is HA, so you will be in the regular queue. Fantasyland you will use the exit on most rides. Be very cautious, the exits are narrow. IASW, you will join the line with the HA marking. Be aware, they limit the number of HA guests on at one time. Your wait could be double the standby wait. Matterhorn - You use the regular queue up to the point where the line narrows, then wait at the HA sign. Space Mountain - Wait at the exit. They allow a group to go down. Generally takes 3-5 minutes to load and launch. Ride is about 2 mins, the 3 mins to unload. Generally, the line is only about 10-15 minutes longer than the regular line. Nemo - You join the HA line. They allow one HA group per set of subs. Wait is usually about the same. Autopia - Regular line to the stairs, then you would go down the elevator and meet up with your party at the bottom of the steps. Trains - Use HA. If the train has someone already in the HA spot, wait for the next train. I usually give up and dont ride. POTC - Line up at light post outside. Wait from the lightpost is usually 20-30 mins. Wait from the veranda is 45-60 mins. HM - Use regular line to the hearse. Join the HA queue there. They take one group at a time. When one comes out, they will send you down. You will wait by the loading area til doombuggy 7 comes around. There are 131 doombuggies. etc...

And yes, it was very insulting to read the "cutting" comments. Be aware, the pass may be allowing them to use the exit, but doesn't mean skipping waiting. It is difficult to load the HA groups. Such as POTC limits only 6 HA guests on at anytime for evac purposes. Not only that, certain disabilities require extra planning. Our service dog is required to ride in the front row of the boat. The HA line allows the grouping CM to know we are there, and plan for us to be in the right position. Also, loading a HA group may require extra time, so the groupers can plan a load time for certain rides.

Be aware, you may not be allowed to ride BTMRR. You need to be able to walk the steps to evac. I don't think they allow leg casts.

Malcon10t
07-17-2009, 08:05 AM
I was askin cuz last time i was there there were adults that kept going in the exit with the wheelchair and some with just that pass... seems like it may be more of a hassle to do with the wheelchair...Now that I have taken a few deep breaths and slept on this over night, I am going to take the "cutting" word out of the picture, and base an answer on this post.

There is a Guest Assistance Card. It allows people with particular issues to avoid stairs, it can allow parents to have their disabled child use their stroller as a wheelchair, it can allow a severely developmentally delayed child/adult to wait n a less crowded area, but in your case, they will suggest a wheelchair.

Our family has a lot of experience with breaks in the foot area. Our doctors have ALWAYS casted the first 2 weeks in a NON-walking cast. I hope, for you, it is not broken. But, you can rent a wheelchair at the park, or your doctor can prescribe you one so you have one to use instead of crutches.

hlr8705
07-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Now that I have taken a few deep breaths and slept on this over night, I am going to take the "cutting" word out of the picture, and base an answer on this post.

There is a Guest Assistance Card. It allows people with particular issues to avoid stairs, it can allow parents to have their disabled child use their stroller as a wheelchair, it can allow a severely developmentally delayed child/adult to wait n a less crowded area, but in your case, they will suggest a wheelchair.

Our family has a lot of experience with breaks in the foot area. Our doctors have ALWAYS casted the first 2 weeks in a NON-walking cast. I hope, for you, it is not broken. But, you can rent a wheelchair at the park, or your doctor can prescribe you one so you have one to use instead of crutches.

Thats all I wanted to know,. Thanks a bunch.

orchid2
07-20-2009, 05:31 AM
When using a wheelchair inside Disneyland Resort its' not just how and where you get into the lines but it's the moving the wheelchair from one place to another. People can get very upset with wheelchairs and cut you off make remarks and just be very nasty to someone in a wheelchair. It's much easier to walk then to ever take a ride in a wheelchair. So be very careful in crowds! If you drive an electrical one you'll spend your time watching the ground and people and not enjoying the beautiful flowers, trees, and buildings of Disneyland.

mechurchlady
07-24-2009, 02:18 AM
The GAC is only for guests with hidden disabilities like deaf, vision, cannot wait in lines because of something like autism, and sun. If a person is obviously handicapped such as using crutches, cane, or a wheelchair then they do not need a GAC.

I took Piper two days through the parks and it can be confusing but there are CMs and signs. Some like Bobsleds are where you get in line and at the gate enter there if you are doing the Tomorrowland side or continue to the chalet then up to the Fantasyland ride. Innoventions is supposed to let guests off downstairs only if in a stroller, wheelchair or ECV.

Definitely not a short cut usually and last time I saw pirates line in the hot sun i summer and it was pretty long. I agree iwth Disney that guests who cannot stand for long periods should bring an ECV or wheelchair as it is a lot of walking.

Good luck on your trip

Malcon10t
07-24-2009, 08:35 AM
The GAC is only for guests with hidden disabilities like deafActually, with regards to deafness, generally a GAC is not needed, but what is available are handheld captioning which you can get a receiver at Guest Relations. With advanced notice, they will also provide an ASL interpreter as needed. (The one we saw in Billy Hill was great!) Many shows offer reflective captioning and depending on your hearing loss, they also have assisted hearing devices. If deafness is an issue, check in to see what can help you in your situation at Guest Relations.

Some autistic children do benefit from a GAC. With my daughter, we never needed it fortunately. You need to talk to Guest Relations and they will work with you to determine what will work best for you.

MickeyDogMom
07-24-2009, 07:01 PM
I did not mean it like that, as i said on my last post, i was simply asking a question... I didnt mean it to be rude. I think that using a wheelchair may be a problem in navigating the park... im not trying to use it to cut anything... sorry if it seemed that way.

Oh, believe me, a wheelchair is the biggest pain in the world especially if you are a control freak like me. I had a broken foot, I was in a cast, and lasted all the way to the hub before I stood up and said I would walk. We left the chair some where and I continued on foot. My pediatrist was soooo ticked. :~D I could not stand it. People were cutting in front of me, kicking my foot, bumping into me, and we were moving SO slow. I would rather hobble through DL then do it in a WC ever again. I had to stop every hundred yards or so but it was better than the chair.

It might be fine during an uncrowded time.

Malcon10t
07-24-2009, 07:03 PM
It might be fine during an uncrowded time.Didn't help we were trying to do this May 5, 2005....

mechurchlady
07-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I was at DCA watching the 49ers and sitting beside me was a woman in a wheelchair. Nobody was around except family who whacked her sore foot sevral times. It is not the crowds that is the problem but the individual guests. They suddenly stop for a powwow without thinking that everyone is having to go around them or wait for them to move. People walk 8 abreast without thinking that CMs and guests are trying to go past them. Some people see something or decide they have to go some place and that is it as they are off in a straight line. They do not see the vehicles and large horse let alone wheelchairs, linebackers, frail old ladies, kids, or strollers. I have seen kids get hit as well as people run over by people.

I would take the scooter despite all the problems I face. I have thrown my wrist out and cut my hand in avoidance maneuvers. That does not stop me as I rather use the scooter to reduce the pain at the end of the day.

me2
08-07-2009, 03:54 PM
From what I'm seeing here, using a wheel chair seems to be a difficult thing. My mom had a knee replacement in Feb and still isn't up to her regular stamina levels. I was trying to convince her to use a wheel chair so that she wouldn't get fatigued/pained but now I'm thinking twice. . .

me2
08-07-2009, 04:13 PM
My mother had a knee replacement and isn't up to her normal stamina and will have pain if she over exerts. I was encouraging her to use a wheelchair but I've read in some posts that it is difficult to use a wheelchair in the parks. With that in mind, shoud I just encourage her to use a cane instead?

If she agrees to the cane, will she need to leave it behind on rides?
Can we bring the kind of cane with a seat for when she's tired? I recall seeing a small folding stool taken forbidden from someones backpack on a previous trip.

Thanks!

Malcon10t
08-07-2009, 06:23 PM
If she agrees to the cane, will she need to leave it behind on rides?
Can we bring the kind of cane with a seat for when she's tired? I recall seeing a small folding stool taken forbidden from someones backpack on a previous trip.If it is a cane with the stool, I have seen them in Disneyland. As for leaving it, many rides I think she would need to leave it. I think it depends on the ride.

Wheelchairs are difficult to use, but if she needs one, I highly recommend it, compared to having a hard time in the park.

me2
08-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks. I wasn't sure if the cane with the seat would count as a stool and be excluded from entrance to the parks.

Mom would probably do better with the wheel chair but for now, I think she's being a bit vain and trying not to use one. I think in her mind the cane isn't as bad. So, I think I'll try convincing her to use the cane and if she gets too tired out, I'll have evidence as to why we should get the wheel chair for the other days.

Thanks again.