PDA

View Full Version : Fastpasses?

Christiii
01-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Does anyone know why they pick and choose what rides get fastpasses?? I love using them, it has really changed the park experience...but I cant believe all the popular rides that do not have them!! The line for the Matterhorn is ALWAY wrapped around the darn mountain, and Peter Pan is crazy too!! Im not sure if Splash Mountain has a fast pass..but that line is outa control as well...Im sure glad I found you guys! All my friends in my normal life just kind of glaze over when I bring up anything Disney..haha
Any ideas??
Christi :-)
Lodi Ca

Christiii
01-10-2003, 03:34 PM
gee wiz!! no fastpass comments huh??
:-)

Disneyfreak
01-10-2003, 03:46 PM
UHHHHHHHH

I hate Fastpass.
You will learn eventually how fastpass wrecks the experience of the park more than helping it.

1. Fastpass Causes way more Stand By wait! By about double. Triple for Splash Mountain because of the change in number of seats in logs.

2. Fastpass lines are valuable line space! Fastpass 90% of the time are not full. Therefore people are wandering about and not in lines causing the park to seem more crowded then what it is. (major problem)

3. Fastpass causes people to get mad! People waiting in the stand by line mostly dont know how to use the system and get mad when people pass them when they have been waiting a long time.

4. This system only half way benefits residents who know the system and use it. People who are from foreign countries dont know about it.

5. Although the system is becoming more popular and is causing slowing even further in the stand by.

This is why fastpass sucks and does not work! unfortunately:crying:

Christii go to www.miceage.com for Als website. This is a wonderful site dedicated to Disneyland Fans like us. This site even shows the bottom of the Rivers of America!

Christiii
01-10-2003, 04:11 PM
I really appreciate your opinion..but I have to disagree..Ive been to the park about a dozen times this year, and I really use the fast pass!! For instance, in the cold weather, my mom and could get a fast pass for the Haunted masion Holiday and then go get something good to eat in a nice warm place!1 I really dont want to stand in line for three hours for anything...last year the line for matterhorn was THREE hours long...i just skipped it thattrip, and actually have had to skip it a lot because of the line. I know I can go to it early or late, and do that for the rides without fastpasses that are a ust see for me..like peter pan. Im just really surprised that more people dont use them! I really value your take on things tho...interesting!!!
Now Im going to go and check out the link ou gave me..thanks so much!!!
Christi
Lodi Ca:D

lisap
01-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Fastpass RULES :D. That is all.

MammaSilva
01-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Christiii, just a little FYI... the fast pass machines for Splash Mountain are right next to the exit of HM.....

Christiii
01-10-2003, 04:20 PM
whew!! I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt that way, haha!!
Christi :-)
Lodi Ca

DisneyGuy03
01-11-2003, 10:34 AM
1. Fastpass Causes way more Stand By wait! By about double. Triple for Splash Mountain because of the change in number of seats in logs.
Actually, this statement is far from the truth, let's look at stand-by wait times, note that all wait times are on a Saturday during Summer.......
we'll look at Splash first, pre-fastpass: Up to a 4 hour wait.
New Stand-by: Never over 2.5 hours

Indy:
Pre-fastpass: 3+ hours, plus the line setup made it murder to get through Adventureland on a busy day for Indy (more so than it is now)
New Stand By: the highest I have seen in recent memory is 120 minutes and even that's rare, generally no more than 90 minutes.

Space Mountain:
Pre-fastpass: 3+ hours easily
New Stand-By: I still haven't seen it get over 90 minutes

it's a small world holiday
Pre-fastpass: (any day of the week, obviosuly during winter, not summer) up to 5 hours and the line setup made it impossible to run during the parade.
New Stand-By: The highest I have seen or heard of is 2 hours.

The list could go on and on, but my point is that Fastpass doesn't just help those that use it, it helps those in stand-by as well and also helps those with SAPs (Those that know what they are and need them know why I say this)

Please be aware that the above wait times come from my own personal expierence, so I know they are accurate.

You will learn eventually how fastpass wrecks the experience of the park more than helping it.

Fastpass helps far mroe than it harms and if people don't know how to use, then all they need to do is ask a CM, they are very good at explaining it and will do so without any hesitation what so ever.

Fastpass has also increased the capacity per hour of the attractions it has been installed on and thus also increased the capacity of the park, that is why it may seem more crowded at times. The new rides that are built with Fastpass at them are designing thier ques for fastpass, which helps a lot and gives the ability to see a lot more of themeing of the line than in other places that have had to be converted, but like I said with INdy once Fastpass was installed it allowed the stand by line to remain contained within the que and not out into adveture land where we had to have crossings and such, so it actually makes more effiecent use of space.

Well, I too do appreciate your opinion, the above mentioned reasons are why I strongly disagree with it, I am not trying to chew anyone out, simply stating the facts....now back to the topic of the thread:

Does anyone know why they pick and choose what rides get fastpasses?? I love using them, it has really changed the park experience...but I cant believe all the popular rides that do not have them!! The line for the Matterhorn is ALWAY wrapped around the darn mountain, and Peter Pan is crazy too!! Im not sure if Splash Mountain has a fast pass..but that line is outa control as well...Im sure glad I found you guys! All my friends in my normal life just kind of glaze over when I bring up anything Disney..haha

Well, Peter Pan would require major changes to the que, it's doable, but it would cost a bit and cause some other problems as well, like for wheelchairs, due to the way the attraction must load and where the wheelchair entrance is.....so that is most likely why this attraction doesn't have fast pass, it is also a ways away from any other attraction that has Fastpass.

As for the Matterhorn, well, it has some issues, some have said it's too far away from any other attraction that has Fastpass, but I still say it's close enough to it's a small world, which has it during the holidays, but again, the que design gives some problems, but these are easily overcome now that we have the que that wraps back and forth in front of the matterhorn, simply use that for Fastpass Return and the que around the mountain for stand-by. But also for both the Matterhorn and Peterpan the question is where to place Fastpass Distribution, there's really no good place, unless we get rid of the smoking area there, which wouldn't hurt my feelings any.

Well, there's my two cents on the matter, these are just my guesses as to why they don't have fastpass, I don't know for sure.

Disneyfreak
01-11-2003, 08:42 PM
There has almost never ever been a 5 hour wait on anything. Indy on the first week was at max 4 hours. I have never heard of a 5 hour wait in the history of Disneyland.

What you are saying about the maximum amount of people per hour is not true one bit. A ride can only take a specified amount and they cant do anything about that. They cannot optimize the amount of people going on a ride per hour. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. I went to Disneyland 60 times last year and I know about these things. I know you are over exagerating on all of those wait times.

Splash Mountain prefastpass was at a max of 2 hours except at opening. Usually it was only 60 min.

Space Mountain was even better. The lines were long but they went fast. Now you bearly move.

Another flaw is when you have a bad person directing the amount of people going through. Some of them only let the Fastpass people go when you have the stand by line waiting. Only when there is no one comming he lets the stand by line through. This was absolutely rediculous. I talked to the manager and he was deeply sorry for the incovience. I never saw that CM again opperating a line.

GoofyDad
01-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Peter Pan is a FastPass at WDW, plus you enter the ships via a moving sidewalk, a la the cars on HM. Because of those two reasons, you can get on Peter Pan in a reasonable amount of time.

It's REALLY HARD to keep a 4-yr-old occupied in a long line....so I ususally don't ride Peter Pan with my daughter at DL :crying:

Probably will once the slow season comes along.

DisneyGuy03
01-11-2003, 09:19 PM
There has almost never ever been a 5 hour wait on anything. Indy on the first week was at max 4 hours. I have never heard of a 5 hour wait in the history of Disneyland.
You obviously didn't come too often during the first year of it's a small world holiday......the absolute longest I saw was 6 hours and that was that New Years Eve..

What you are saying about the maximum amount of people per hour is not true one bit. A ride can only take a specified amount and they cant do anything about that. They cannot optimize the amount of people going on a ride per hour. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. I went to Disneyland 60 times last year and I know about these things. I know you are over exagerating on all of those wait times.
Actually, it does increase capacity....well, sort of, at least, it increases capacity used, vs. total capacit avilable, thus allowing more people to go on in a day by redirecting them to the times of day where it would be less crowded. Only 60 times? A slow year for you? lat year I probably went about 100 averging out, generally about twice a week......but that's a whole other story and pre-fastpass I went a lot too, like I said, usually the busier days,as that was when I had off work, those wait times are accurate for when I was there before fastpass was around, after fastpass, the times that I posted may actually be longer than what is reality, which only further proves my point. Again, this is my personal observations, this may or may not indicate the average wait times; however, it does indicate busiest vs. busiest.

Another flaw is when you have a bad person directing the amount of people going through. Some of them only let the Fastpass people go when you have the stand by line waiting. Only when there is no one comming he lets the stand by line through. This was absolutely rediculous. I talked to the manager and he was deeply sorry for the incovience. I never saw that CM again opperating a line.
Well again, if you used Fastpass it wouldn't have made a difference to you, now would it? But none the less, operating procedure is to let x number of stand by go in on certain attractions...i.e. Indiana Jones, due to the line setup, it's inconvient, but it's about the best that they can do considering the line was not designed for fastpass, I bet after the rehab we will see something different somehow set up in there, if nothing else poles and ropes all the way down the que dividing it in two.

Now, let's face facts:
1. Fastpass generates revenue for Disneyland, because during the time that people would normally be in lines a lot of them are eating or shopping.

2. Fastpass really does work and I am sorry if you don't like it, but:

3. Fastpass is not going to go anywhere, so get over it and stop complaining about something that it will not affect.

I hope I am wrong about this, but I personally think you complained about that CM, who was probably just doing his job as he was trained to do, because you don't like the fastpass system so you find fault with it every chance you get, now of course the system has it's flaws, as does everything else, but it is far better than not having it in place.

Also, Indy on opening day, from what I have been told had it's line wrap all the way to the main entrance of the park, I do not know how long this line was, but I am sure it was quite long, not to mention the bottlenecks that it created, Indy on a regular basis before fastpass would have at bare minimum two crossings, one accross adventureland and one accross the exit, causing a lot of bottlenecks in an area that already had enough of them, fastpass put a stop to this problem and no one can deny that.

Again, I have to restate during the opening year of it's a small world holidy the line did get up to 5 hours many times, with a 6 hour wait on NYE and according to a CM that I talked with on it's closing day during it's first year got up to a 7 hour wait, but I can not confirm or deny that.

And to compare apples to apples here, look at HMH during it's first year (both holiday attractions first year, no fastpass on small world, HMH did have fastpass), stand-by line time was no more than 2.5 hours according to a HMH CM, yes one day it did get extrmely crowded to where it was a 3 hour wait for stand-by, but fastpass also had a 45 minute wait, due to the attraction having broken down earlier and taking quite some time to re-open.

On Splash I remember many, many times seeing a 4 hour wait and not just during the opening season....I probably have pictures somewhere to proove it, don't ask me where and they wouldn't be digital, but this would be during the summer, obviously during winter it was a lot less busy.