PDA

View Full Version : Submarines??

Christiii
01-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Hi everybody!!
Im brand new here, and a Disneyland fanatic..I even have a Disneyland shrine here at my office waith neat vintage Disneyland pieces..I love ebay!! Im from Northern Ca, and went to Disneyland about 10 times last year...spending Christmas for the second time in a row..I dont knowwhy I havent gone every year!! :-)
Anyway, as much as I love the park..Im really disappointed with all the empty attractions...with so much room for new things!! How long can they let the sub lagoon just sit there?? and the rocket rods?? and innoventions really in not too Disneyish...not to mention the empty gondola shack still set up. Even in DCA, the stuuupid Superstar limo (which was horrible) has been down over a year. It doesnt even have a blue wall around it anymore, so new visitors keep walking by and trying to figur eout what it is.
I am very partial to Disneyland, and really have no desire to go to Disneyworld (I love all the history of the original park), but I sure with they would develop Disneyland the way they have world!!
I would love to hear all your opinions!!
Christi, Lodi Ca

rexfarms
01-10-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Christiii
I am very partial to Disneyland, and really have no desire to go to Disneyworld (I love all the history of the original park), but I sure with they would develop Disneyland the way they have world!!I would love to hear all your opinions!!
Christi, Lodi Ca

Hey Christi welcome to MP. I agree with you about being partial to DLR but I would still enjoy going to WDW. It does make me sad to think about the empty Subs and the old Skyway thing in Fantasyland.(I have heard some stories about this closed shack, has anybody else too?) Hopefully one day they will do something with these lonely attractions. :(

Christiii
01-10-2003, 12:52 PM
I really dont have a huge desire to go to WDW, but I really want to go to Disneyland Paris!! I think I have to plan a trip there in the next year or so!! I bet its just wonderful!!
:-)

Ghoulish Delight
01-10-2003, 12:54 PM

I would love to hear all your opinions!!
Oh, you've come to the right place :D ;)

You'll find your sentiments echoed many times over here, sometimes with more venom, sometimes with more silver lining. But you are far from alone.

but I sure with they would develop Disneyland the way they have world!!The long standing road block to that has been space. Disneyland is hemmed in by the city of Anaheim, unable to expand. It was only after a certain land owner who held a grudge against Walt died that the land for the new parking structure could be obtained. Florida, as Walt conceived the idea as a huge village from the beginning, is much less restrictive in that respect. Disney owns vasts ammounts of land, making expansion easy. This key difference, Disney's free reign in Florida, that is what has "kept Disneyland behind," so to speak.

And, because of its already stunted growth, the original will have a hard time catching up. Because it has existed as it is so long, Disneyland has culled a very different client base than it's right-coast counterpart, with a much larger portion of Disneyland visitors being locals. Even now, with the construction of the new park, and the city of Anaheim bending over backwards to please, Disney faces the hurdle of demand. They have to convince the locals that bigger is better.

While I agree with that ultimate goal, they have a long way to go. Not that it's an impossible road, but DCA needs to be drastically improved before the Disneyland "Resort" can be considered in the league of world class resorts. I, for one, hope they succeed. But there has been very little evidence recently that they will.

Welcome to the boards. Hope you enjoy sharing opinions. And remember, you asked for it ;) :cool:

Christiii
01-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I understand about the space thing..and I really wouldnt want it to get as big as WDW, but I would like to see the areas with attractions that are down be developed. Those areas have been down a LONG time!! Also, the Hunchback theatre area could really have soemthing put in there too!! You never see it unless you ride the train (which I do when Im too hot, too cold, too tired..haha). That is a really big dead area out there!! Ill bet if they looked hard enough, they could find plenty of space indside the park for renovations!! The tower of terror is comming along nicely!!
Im so glad I found you guys!!
Christi :-)

mad4mky
01-10-2003, 01:01 PM
I really dont have a huge desire to go to WDW, but I really want to go to Disneyland Paris!! I think I have to plan a trip there in the next year or so!! I bet its just wonderful!!
:-)

I have been to Disneyland Paris (March 2002)...and it is indeed beautiful...and very detailed in every way.

But, I have also been to WDW twice. I live near Stanford Univ., so obviously we go to Disneyland often...but WDW is a joy. Granted it's not Disneyland...with its charm and history. But WDW is amazing. It's an amazing place with so much to see and do, there is hardly any time for rest.

If you love Disney, you will love WDW. From the moment you step onto the property, you are inundated with all things Disney...and Disney quality. The Disney Cruise was great...and we did it with a tie in to WDW...the first time we had gone there. I loved being there...and I would love to go back... As well as going back to Disneyland Paris some day.

Welcome to the boards...and enjoy. You'll have good company here if you want to talk about the parks.:D

rexfarms
01-10-2003, 01:15 PM
No matter what they build anyplace else, Disneyland will always have one thing. Walt's personal touch.:)

missymouse
01-10-2003, 03:04 PM
you would think they would have re-themed those empty submarines to an Atlantis type ride....

Christiii
01-10-2003, 03:09 PM
I was thinking more Little Mermaid...but its such a waste, and all these empty areas are very confusing to people who have never been to the park!!

missymouse
01-10-2003, 03:14 PM
Oh, little mermaid would be great, too, but now that they have an Ariels grotto restaurant, and ariels grotto meet and greet, it might be a little overkill..... it is so sad with so many things down now- we are coming in february, and are very sad that the rivers will be drained, and perhaps small world down, too. oh, well!!!

Ghoulish Delight
01-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by missymouse
Oh, little mermaid would be great, too, but now that they have an Ariels grotto restaurant, and ariels grotto meet and greet, it might be a little overkill..... it is so sad with so many things down now- we are coming in february, and are very sad that the rivers will be drained, and perhaps small world down, too. oh, well!!! That's the risk of off season visits. But, you give and you get. The crowds should be significantly smaller than the rest of the year. This stretch, January-March, is about the only true off season left anymore.

The instant the subs closed, I thought Little Mermaid. There had already been abortive attempts to create a LM themed ride in other parks. But Atlantis might be a more suitable choice, simple because the subs are, technically, in Tomorrowland.

Disneyfreak
01-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Hi, welcome to Mouse Planet. Im always pleased about new people joining.

Disneyland and DCA are going to have huge construction for about 20 years.
I am guessing by this time they will have all those nasty holes in the park filled with quality Attractions.
DCA is not a bad park. I repeat NOT a bad park. DCA will ultimately become a very wonderful theme park. They have tons of expansion space and lots of money to do so, since they have drained the budget to keep up Disneyland, which is not exceptable.
We will have two new E-ticket attractions in the next 10 years in DCA if not more!

1. Tower of Terror:)
2. Armageddon the roller coaster (based on Rock N Roller Coaster)

Possibly even more!

After they get DCA up to an acceptable rate, then they will pour in all the budget to Disneyland. So this could take awhile but its worth the wait.

All I have to say is, Give the darn park a chance to proove and develop itself before you judge it.

Christiii
01-10-2003, 03:42 PM
I really really really enjoy DCA!!! I LOVE the chili cheese dogs and fries! The best ever!! The roller coaster, Millionaire, the 3-d movies..Grizzy river run...everything about it!! Except the limo ride, which, luckily..is now gone!! I think DCA is very underrated and a nice change from Disneyland!! The soap opera bistro used to be really fun!!
Christi :-)
Lodi Ca

missymouse
01-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Yeah, we know it's off season, and do expect things to be a little slower, shut down, but we have free plane tickets which were going to expire, plus free hotel room from my husbands hilton points from biz travel, and he had some stored sick days that were going to expire, so.......... plus, we are taking our 7month old and 20 month old on thier first disney trip. any suggestions on what to do/avoid with these two?

rexfarms
01-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Whenever I am at the park at least 2 people ask me what happened to the subs. I explain to them that it would cost too much to keep them running but I say eventually something will be back there. The seem sad, to many that was their favorite attraction.:(