PDA

View Full Version : A Few Thoughts on the Land

danyoung
07-13-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm back from my spring/summer sojourn to southern Cal, and I had a terrific time! The weather could not have been nicer, especially for a Texan used to high humidity. The temps were in the upper 80's, but just a step in the shade and the temp would drop 15 degrees, and that cool ocean breeze just mellowed everything out.

I would have thought that the crowds would be wall to wall, but it really didn't seem very crowded all week (6/30 - 7/6). Waits on Pirates and HM weren't ever longer than 10 minutes or so, even late morning or early afternoon. I'm really glad they've finally figgered out a way to reinstate single rider to Indy. I love this ride, but I'm not hip to 30 minute waits any time. Got a pretty good skipper on the Jungle Cruise, although he was working the mic so close that it was hard to understand him. Technique, people - technique!

I got to enjoy the new (-ish) Fantasmic! twice. I of course miss the dragon - even the old dragon would be better than no dragon. But I did enjoy the new croc in the Pan scene. And Flotsam & Jetsam, while not as impressive as the old Ursula, is definitely an improvement over just the filmed segments in that section. Overall it's still a terrific show, and I'm glad it's still being presented.

I also saw the new fireworks (non-4th) show once. And while it's nowhere near as incredible as the show it replaced, it's still a nice capper to a DL day. Oh, and the new Dumbo flying over the castle is really cool!

There were only 2 things wrong with this trip - on minor and one MONDO MAJOR! The minor thing was that they were only running 1/2 of the line in the Riverbelle Terrace. I'd never seen them do this before, and it doesn't make any sense to me. The line on the Adventureland side was about 20 people out the door, and it took about 1/2 an hour to get through this line. Very uncool, very cheap of Disney to cut corners like this, especially on a holiday weekend.

The major thing happened, of all places at Snow White on the 6th. It had just opened from a refurb, and I had to ride to see the fresh new ride (very nicely done - nothing different, just all fresh and new). The problem was the young girl who was loading the cars and controlling the ride. She was actually FALLING ASLEEP at her job! She seemed very nice, and was trying hard to stay awake. But as she'd wave people to get into their car, her eyes would droop and then close. She'd yank herself awake in time to spin and hit the GO button, which was a totally unsafe situation. Any kid could run out on the track, or the car could be loaded improperly, and she wouldn't have seen it before she hit the button. Very very unsafe! I told 2 CMs at the other end of the ride about it, and they assured me they'd look right into it. I don't really want to get anyone in trouble, but I've never seen a ride operated in such an unsafe manner.

Other than that, a really fun week spending time with family, enjoying the wonderful weather, and storming my favorite parks!

codewoman
07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Falling asleep? Very bad show. This is how major bad things happen. I hope those CMs did check the situation out *right away*. And I'm glad you mentioned it. We're all part of the magic. You may never know what horrific thing you might have prevented. Thanks!

danyoung
07-13-2009, 01:41 PM
I've seen CMs presenting what I'd consider to be "bad show" many times, when they're yakking amongst themselves or just standing around looking bored. But to be in a key position, controlling complex mechanical equipment, and to be falling asleep, is simply unbelievable!

olegc
07-13-2009, 05:20 PM
I would have thought that the crowds would be wall to wall, but it really didn't seem very crowded all week (6/30 - 7/6). Waits on Pirates and HM weren't ever longer than 10 minutes or so, even late morning or early afternoon.

it would be interesting if someone did an analysis of data. The parks were PACKED in the days leading up to the 4th. - mainly because it seems the APs (so cal and so cal select) were the majority of the contributed crowds. Once they were blocked - it seems this summer tourists from out of town are fewer than previous years (as expected with the economy) making the parks light in comparison to previous years. Many folks have commented on the boards that it appears Disneyland is more busy in the traditional off season (feb - may; sep - nov) than they have been in other years. Again - my data is not even close to being scientific - but it's sure interesting...

disney42dude
07-13-2009, 05:40 PM
...The parks were PACKED in the days leading up to the 4th. - mainly because it seems the APs (so cal and so cal select) were the majority of the contributed crowds. Once they were blocked - it seems this summer tourists from out of town are fewer than previous years (as expected with the economy) making the parks light in comparison to previous years. Many folks have commented on the boards that it appears Disneyland is more busy in the traditional off season (feb - may; sep - nov) than they have been in other years....

That's what it seems like to me too. :cool:

Second Star
07-13-2009, 07:26 PM
it would be interesting if someone did an analysis of data.

We were there June 15th to the 19th. The 15th and 16th were a zoo. As I was told the SoCal AP started their blackout period on the 17th and a lot of people came in to see Fantasmic. The show we had orginally scheduled to see before it boffed on the 16th, one of the CM's working the PS section told us there were 12,000 people down on the ROA sidewalk area.

ryanvalle
07-13-2009, 07:43 PM
i think the CM ate the poison apple by accident...

DizneyMommy
07-16-2009, 07:04 AM
it would be interesting if someone did an analysis of data. The parks were PACKED in the days leading up to the 4th. - mainly because it seems the APs (so cal and so cal select) were the majority of the contributed crowds. Once they were blocked - it seems this summer tourists from out of town are fewer than previous years (as expected with the economy) making the parks light in comparison to previous years. Many folks have commented on the boards that it appears Disneyland is more busy in the traditional off season (feb - may; sep - nov) than they have been in other years. Again - my data is not even close to being scientific - but it's sure interesting...

I agree... based on what I've seen. On days only Deluxe and Premium are allowed in, it just seems not bad at all. I was really surprised last night how we were able to walk right up for food at 6:30, walk right into the AP processing center with no wait, walk right up to both gates with no wait to get in, even walk up to the EP viewing area 20 minutes before the parade and get a great seat. That is typically unheard of for a summer day, even a weekday.

It's kind of a bummer for anyone who bought the lower 2 AP's thinking they would go off-peak days and seasons, as those seasons seem to have slightly reversed! We have always avoided summer like the plague, except for birthdays, and this year it was the post-spring break period that freaked me out more than summer is.

dlfansx4
07-16-2009, 07:35 AM
We have always avoided summer like the plague, except for birthdays, and this year it was the post-spring break period that freaked me out more than summer is.

We usually avoid summer also but this is the first year we are still going. After going the 1st and 2nd of July (with relatively light crowds) for my son's birthday, we decided to enjoy a couple more days this summer. Since we bought my nephews the 3-day $99 pass, my DH will be taking them back again next week.

For the first time, we will be trying to get in trips in early August (before the So Cal passes are no longer blocked), instead of late August like we have in previous years, LOL.