PDA

View Full Version : New character meet and greet for Rivers of America

Darkbeer
01-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Across from the Pirates of the Caribbean entrance is a new interactive area..... On the fence placed along the edge of the Rivers of America is a sign that says "Gone Fishin', Tom and Becky", and many times a day, Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher come out to interact with the guests, offering the chance to use brushes to paint with "phantom" paint (guaranteed not to stain clothing:p ), plus a chance to jump rope.

mad4mky
01-09-2003, 08:50 AM
We ran into them several times over the past weekend...and Monday. And, to be honest...I had no idea who they were at first (well, it took a long time to figure out who they were).

To me...they look like some adult woman in a little girl's old fashioned dress...and a man in country clothes. They didn't look like a Tom and Becky Thatcher to me.

I think they should use

younger people for these characters (like at WDW...for Wendy of Peter Pan). These two folks just looked a little too old for these roles.:rolleyes: :(

MammaSilva
01-09-2003, 09:00 AM
I haven't seen them yet, ROA was still up at full capacity when we were there but ITA Mad4Mky.. it's sort of like the CM they use to ride on Elliot in the EP, or the CM playing 'alice' .. I mean I understand the "why" with child labor laws and stuff, but it just doesn't flow as well when there is an adult in what is supposed to be a 10 year old role IMHO....although the young lady portraying Alice as the face character in the park does a wonderful job....but even my nephews commented on the age/size issue

blusilva
01-10-2003, 07:24 AM
The timing of this is so odd.

Perhaps it's a sign that they plan on marketing a whole new Tom Sawyer's Island concept instead of trashing it, as some rumors had it?

cemeinke
01-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by blusilva
The timing of this is so odd.

Perhaps it's a sign that they plan on marketing a whole new Tom Sawyer's Island concept instead of trashing it, as some rumors had it?

Considering the Bear Country Jamboree stuff that went up on the Pooh construction walls, I wouldn't hold my breath.

mad4mky
01-10-2003, 08:43 AM
When I told my daughter about this thread (the 19 year old)...she said "That was Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher??? :confused: I thought it was just two hillbillies walking around! They don't look the part at all!"

I agree 100%. These two are too old to be playing these characters.:(

One thing about the guy on Pete's dragon...He's on a float, up high...in the dark (even though its all lit up around him)...so when we see him, we see an adult, but his age is not so obvious. These two characters are up close and personal. :( Not a good thing when you have a couple of 30 years olds playing middle schoolers.:rolleyes:

MonorailMan
01-10-2003, 09:26 AM
I'll take the role, and do it for Minimum wage too. :D

Anyhow, yes, I hope this means that we are bringing back TSI. :)

rexfarms
01-10-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Considering the Bear Country Jamboree stuff that went up on the Pooh construction walls, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Good job, Disney! Brilliant.;)

HBTiggerFan
01-10-2003, 10:34 PM
I saw them today. Totally do not fit the part. They just look way to old. I could see some 16 year-olds in the part or even some young looking 20 year-olds, but these people look to be in their late 20s, early 30s...not that there is anything wrong with being in your late 20s or early 30s, just when playing Tom and Becky

rexfarms
01-11-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
I saw them today. Totally do not fit the part. They just look way to old. I could see some 16 year-olds in the part or even some young looking 20 year-olds, but these people look to be in their late 20s, early 30s...not that there is anything wrong with being in your late 20s or early 30s, just when playing Tom and Becky

Good job Casting, Disney! Brilliant. ;)

blusilva
01-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke

LOL. I know. When I try really hard not to be cynical and "full of negativity", the Company pretty much does the work for me. I thought about that when posting, but thought, "nah. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt today."

Matterhorn Fan
01-12-2003, 07:34 PM
I didn't stop to look, but I saw those two costumed people in that spot a couple times this weekend.

I assumed they were two of the guys from the Laughing Stock show.

Lost Boy
01-12-2003, 07:59 PM
What's really strange about this, is that when the Island first opened, way back when, there really were a young boy and girl all dressed up like Tom and Becky out there on the island every day. And, in the caves there was a real life Injun Joe from time to time. Scared the Bejuzus out me once.
And you could actually fish off that pier that faces the Mark Twin/Columbia Load/unload dock. And there where real live catfish in the river for you to catch. And keep. Oh what a fun trip home in the car that was. Not!!!:rolleyes:

DisneyGuy03
01-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Well, we have new labor laws, yes it would be possible, since they are Cast Members and thus exempt from a lot of the laws, but why couldn't they find someone that, like Alice, look extremely young for their age?

Also, Tom Sawyer's Island will come back, but there will be safety changes.

Darkbeer
01-12-2003, 11:03 PM
But will it come back as Tom Sawyer's Island, or with a new name???? and what about the replacement for the Fort????

DisneyGuy03
01-13-2003, 08:53 AM
Ok, I guess I didn't make it clear in my last post, the island will make a trimuphant return a Tom Sawyers Island, but with major safety changes, which also of couse means ADA changes. The fort is being torn down and rebuilt (My guess is for safety issues, like rotting wood and such, but will also need to be made ADA compliant as a result)

So, yes it will be tom sawyers island, but it will have a lot of changes to it.

Darkbeer
01-13-2003, 09:44 AM
It is interesting to note that over at Disneyland.com they are listing all the other Rivers of America attractions as under refurb, but do NOT list Tom Sawyer's Island, are they saying that the attraction no longer exists:confused:

Or maybe all those survey takers that were asking guests what they thought about Tom Sawyer (who is he, what would you think if they change the name of the island, etc.) the last few weeks were just out getting a suntan........;)

MonorailMan
01-13-2003, 07:48 PM
This Quote Confirms Two Things:

It seems that Disneyland's maintenance department asked the pair to apply a "dragon-proof" coating to the fence, to protect it from the fire-breathing creature that lives in the river. {Todays DLR update}

1. Fantasmic! is coming back. (we kinda knew that)

2. That DLR needs to cut back on the cuts, I mean, I don't go to DL to paint fences. Let's have Tom do that himself. Even though it's the special "Disney Magic" paint, that doesn't stain, I can sooo see a MP group Paint Fight. Also, the back side of Becky kind of scares me.
:D :eek:

Laffite
01-13-2003, 07:53 PM
Umm... a paint-fight with a grip of Padders ey? Kindda gives me an idea. :)

Preston

DisneyGuy03
01-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Uh-oh, now you've done it MonorailMan ;-)

Gymgirl975
01-15-2003, 06:15 PM
I thought Becky was a blonde?

Didn't Jody Foster play her in the Disney version?