PDA

View Full Version : Expedition Everest with a wheelchair?

KarenW2
07-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Can anyone tell me what the queue area is like for EE? I'll be in a wheelchair, with my hubby "driving", so I would like to know what we will encounter when we try to experience the attraction.

Does the queue go up a hill, with stairs at various points, or is it a ramp? Is there an elevator that we'd need to use to get to the loading area?

What is the loading procedure like?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me on this!

Drince88
07-07-2009, 01:06 PM
It depends on how much of the queue is open - I think there are some slopes in the very extended queue, but not huge, and the only time I've personally seen that part of the queue open is during the preview weekend (but I don't go at super busy times of the year, or I use a FP). The FP queue would have no hills, ramps, stairs, anything. The regular queue doesn't have any stairs and just the outside slopes on the exterior extended queue.

It's one that they try to load fairly fast, though and I don't THINK the wheelchair would fit in the load 'gates', so you may have to be able to take a few steps to get from the chair into the train. I doubt if you could do a transfer with a board sort of a thing, though I'd anticipate that the park information would say how that would work.

littlej
07-08-2009, 09:28 AM
KarenW2, I don't have anything to add that Drince didn't already say, but I hope you don't mind my asking, are you bringing your own wheelchair, or are you renting one? I asked a question here in "Touring the Parks" about good wheelchair rental companies, but my thread got moved to "Column Discussions" and I'm not getting any answers, so please forgive me for hijacking this thread! :)

KarenW2
07-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for telling me about the queue. It gives an idea on how to prepare.

littlej, I have my own wheelchair, I don't rent them. We used to rent from a company close to home and at one point, we were offered the chance to buy the chair, since they were going to be replacing their current chairs with new ones. They offered it to us, since we were a good customer at a good price, so now we don't have to rent any chairs, we just bring my own with me.

You might want to check with a company local to where you are and see if they might have chairs for sale, so you could save yourself time and money.

Cheshire Figment
07-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Their are no stairs and the queue (both regular and fastpass) are fully accessible. When crowded, and the longer queue is open, there are some slopes but they are very gentle and I would not even compare them to the bridge between UK and France in World Showcase.

The last seat in each train has a movable side with some extra room, so you could do a transfer directly into the ride seat from the chair by sliding to the right.

Unload is right behind load, so they will move your wheelchair directly to unload after you have boarded.