PDA

View Full Version : Is Disneyland worth $47?

Pages : [1] 2

AliKzam
01-08-2003, 04:39 PM
A couple of days ago it was announced that Disneyland and DCA's prices were being raised from $45 to $47. It hasn't been but a few months since the last price increase. Of course, Disney's having a special for "a limited time" where you can get into both parks for $47, thus making the resort one park.
To those who don't have annual passes, and even to those who do, really: would it be worth it to you to pay $45 every time you go to the parks? Just last year, it was $43. Just five years ago, it was around $35. Think about it. In just five years, the price of admission has increased over $10. No doubt the high prices add to people's crankiness at the parks. Yet as the prices increase and the attractions decrease (I'm only reffering to Disneyland, not DCA) the people still come.
But how high is too high? Maybe things will change a little, now that Jay Rasulo's in. But Disney's been raising the admission to see what we'll pay before people stop coming, it seems. So what's your price?
And where's all this money going? We're talking billions aren't we?

AliKzam
01-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Oops. I didn't realize someone already wrote about this.

Thomas
01-09-2003, 09:01 AM
No, we are not talking billions, maybe barely a billion. $1 billion divided by $47 would equal 21,276,595 guests, not including annual passholders. I don't think Disneyland's annual attendance reaches that. That would be approximately 58000 people a day.

rexfarms
01-09-2003, 04:58 PM
Not like many of us didnt expect this price raise.

AliKzam
01-09-2003, 06:52 PM
I didn't expect this. Not until summer, anyway, at least.
Maybe billions by admission alone is a little drastic. But it's not uncommon to reach that level of attendance during a weekend. Plus, if you include people paying for parking, food, souvineirs, sudden necessities, and even hotel rates, I'd say it's very possible for the Disneyland resort to have an annual income in the billions. No matter how normal it is or how much people expect it, there was no reason to raise the rates, I'm certain. They could fill their pockets just fine with the money they make, as it is.

Mickeyslittlehelper
01-09-2003, 07:08 PM
I am not a fan of the price increase. Although it doesnt bother me much, i disagree with raising it before all of this years renovations have been completed. I am sure they could have found somewhere else to get the extra two dollars anyway. All the same, i would still visit Disneyland.

Baloo
01-09-2003, 07:13 PM
I do remember reading somewhere that after special discounts, promotions, and out of town packages only approximately 8 to 10 percent of Disneylands resort guest pay full price of admission.
Also don't forget that the revenue that the one park produces does not all stay at the resort. The Disney company has many divisions and theme park revenue is about 40% of revenues for the entire company.

Also do not forget that they also have to pay Electricity, gas, water and other utilities. Just as an idea our annual elctrical bill for the company i work for was 134,000 dollars. We don't have our printing equipment running 24/7 like many of the attractions,lights other parts of the theme park which are on almost at all times. I could just imagine what a yearly bill for electricty is like for Disneyland alone

1 billion dollars might be quite a huge amount of money but i am sure that their bills range in the hundred of millions

rexfarms
01-09-2003, 08:37 PM
I agree with you. Something not a lot of people think about.

AliKzam
01-09-2003, 09:04 PM
A high school teacher of mine has a daughter who holds (or held) an executive position within the Disney corp. She said by 10:00am everyday, all the utility bills in Disneyland are paid. They are not living paycheck to paycheck.

tabacco
01-09-2003, 10:18 PM
Even when the park opens at 10? :D

I believe it, though.

cstephens
01-11-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by AliKzam
A high school teacher of mine has a daughter who holds (or held) an executive position within the Disney corp. She said by 10:00am everyday, all the utility bills in Disneyland are paid. They are not living paycheck to paycheck.

But there's a lot more to Disneyland than just the utility bills.

As for the "paycheck to paycheck" observation, I would certainly hope that a multi-bazillion dollar company was not relying on each day's income to keep the company going.

rexfarms
01-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
I would certainly hope that a multi-bazillion dollar company was not relying on each day's income to keep the company going.

No, obviously not.

merlinjones
01-11-2003, 10:04 PM
If

Submarine Voyage
Adventure Thru Inner Space
Skyway
CircleVision
PeopleMover
Carousel of Progress
Rocket Jets (up high)
Motor Boat Cruise
Country Bear Jamboree
Captain Hook's Pirate Ship
Tom Sawyer Island (all of it)
Golden Horseshoe Revue
Tahitian Terrace
and
Sleeping Beauty Castle

were still operating, rather than rotting as empty husks (thereby saving operating costs), Disneyland might be worth this price.

As it is, there is less to do today than there was ten-fifteeen years ago - - for a higher cost outstripping the rate of inflation by a wide margin. It's a downgraded experience for greedy execs.

rexfarms
01-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Shall we blame this all on Mr. Michael Eisner?;)

DisneyGuy03
01-12-2003, 09:39 AM
If

Submarine Voyage
Adventure Thru Inner Space
Skyway
CircleVision
PeopleMover
Carousel of Progress
Rocket Jets (up high)
Motor Boat Cruise
Country Bear Jamboree
Captain Hook's Pirate Ship
Tom Sawyer Island (all of it)
Golden Horseshoe Revue
Tahitian Terrace
and
Sleeping Beauty Castle

were still operating, rather than rotting as empty husks (thereby saving operating costs), Disneyland might be worth this price.
Ok, according to a CM that I trust Peoplemover is coming back.

Also, Sleeping Beatuy Castle is scheduled to reopen in March, along with a mess of other stuff, i.e. Soft openings of Winnie the Pooh, SuperStar Limo, Playhouse Disney (Ok, that one's in April) and I know the last coulpe are at DCA

Tom Sawer's Island is supposed to completely reopen after this rehab, 1/2 of it was closed thanks to our theme park safety comission here in California, they are making the needed changes.

THey are supposed to at bare minimum put a new film in and reopen the circlevision theater for the 50th.

The Carousel of Progress hosts Innoventions, although I do think this space could be used better, but it is an attraction, weather you like the attraction or not.

Adventure thru Innerspace is occupied by Star Tours.

Rocket Jets were relocated (this did not eliminate something to do, just changed it)

Country Bear Jamboree, as previously mentioned is becoming Winnie the Pooh, not just sitting as an empty usless husk either.

Tahitian Terrace is occupied with Aladdin's Oasis.

Captain Hook's Pirate SHip was taken out due to completely redoing the entire area, I am not exactly sure what it was replaced with, but it was replaced.

The Golden Horshoe now has Billy Hill and the Hillbillies and on their days off The Golden Horseshoe Variety Show.

So, this leaves out of your list, the following sitting empty:

Submarine Voyage

Skyway (although 1/2 of it was used as a maintence bay for the old Rocket Rods and probably the new people mover as well)
and
Motor Boat Cruise

So, really, it is not as bad as it seems by your list.

TecTalker2K
01-12-2003, 11:07 AM
I would pay 60 dollars to get in. It is still the greatest entertainment value around. I know that when the economy bounces back (Bush is out of office) that things will improve there. Shoot, I would pay 100 dollars if they had a day where no one under 25 was allowed in the park.

HBTiggerFan
01-12-2003, 11:16 AM
List originally posted by merlinjones , bold comments added by me

Submarine Voyage ~ empty
Adventure Thru Inner Space ~ currently has attraction
Skyway ~ empty
CircleVision ~ empty
PeopleMover ~ empty
Carousel of Progress ~ currently has attraction (sort of)
Rocket Jets (up high)
Motor Boat Cruise ~ empty
Country Bear Jamboree ~ currently getting a new attraction
Captain Hook's Pirate Ship ~ gone
Tom Sawyer Island (all of it) ~ renovated
Golden Horseshoe Revue ~ currently has attraction
Tahitian Terrace ~ currently has attraction
and
Sleeping Beauty Castle closed but not empty

I agree with what you said.

Rocket Jets down low is just a "space version" of Dumbo.

DisneyGuy, I dunno who you have been talking to about the PeopleMover. I would love to see it come back, however the loading area has been completely renovated, the speedramps are gone, the loading platform is gone, and where are all the PeopleMover cars? I have a CM friend who speculates what may or may not happen based on various conversations but there is no way that the "regular" CM would be able to say forsure that something is coming back.

I can't imagine they would reopen Sleeping Beautys Castle walkthrough while we are in the middle of a war, it was closed because it was to easy to plant terroristic objects in it.

Pooh is supposed to open this year, however SSL has been closed indefinitely. If it didn't open this summer what makes you think it will re-open next summer?

They were supposed to put a new film in Circle Vision right after 9/11 too, but its not there. The new film in Circle Vision has been a rumor for a few years now, and while I would love to see it happen, I am not holding my breath for it.

So currently on Merlinjones list the following areas are empty or closed:

subs
peoplemover/rocketrods
skyway
circle vision
motor boat cruise
castle walkthrough

that is six things, one of which was not going to be closed until a new attraction would fill it (subs)

DisneyGuy03
01-12-2003, 11:41 AM
DisneyGuy, I dunno who you have been talking to about the PeopleMover. I would love to see it come back, however the loading area has been completely renovated, the speedramps are gone, the loading platform is gone, and where are all the PeopleMover cars? I have a CM friend who speculates what may or may not happen based on various conversations but there is no way that the "regular" CM would be able to say forsure that something is coming back.
Did I ever say that it was a "regular" CM? No, I didn't, but I can't divulge information on this one, sorry, I know this CM reads the boards, if the CM involved decides to post on it, it's their business and no it wouldn't be exactly as it used to be, obviously there would be lots of changes that would have to be made, but in some form or another it is slated to come back.....I do not know exactly when either. This was confirmed by another person, who's mom is a CM, but, again I do trust the one that told me to tell me the truth, it was just a nice confirmation, again I have no date as to when it's supposed to be done.

I can't imagine they would reopen Sleeping Beautys Castle walkthrough while we are in the middle of a war, it was closed because it was to easy to plant terroristic objects in it.
Check the pre-recorded hotline, RefurbMike's page, the Disneyland website, they all state that it is scheduled to reopen in spring.

however SSL has been closed indefinitely. If it didn't open this summer what makes you think it will re-open next summer?
No, it is reopening in March, there are some safety changes that are needed to the attraction and they should be completed by then. (Saftey changes akin to Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin doors from what I have heard, why we don't know, but blame our oh so wonderful (major sarcasim intended) theme park safety comission, they keep getting in the way of everything)

Last I heard is that the Circlevision theater is slated to reopen for the 50th with a new film......if you are wondering how that will work if the track of the people mover is being used, it would be easy to move the que over into the premier shop and make an exit in the Amarican Space Exhibit area or vice versa.

The subs are indeed not coming back, but, again, check the disneyland website, pre-recorded hotline and refurbmike's page for rehab info.

Darkbeer
01-12-2003, 01:44 PM
How come the Rocket Rods got left out of this list of attractions sitting around, not working... I see plenty of rusty track when I ride the Monorail to the ESPN Zone to grab a beer. (when the Monorail is working....:~) )

Or one of the most infamous attractions, Cosmic Waves, and while is no longer listed as an attraction, the Cosmic Marble and potted tree zone. And how about the second story of Starcade, that is a nice empty room.

And how about the Big Thunder Ranch area, which used to host the Festival of Fools show. The whole area, including the dining area and the restrooms are closed to the general public. I remember when you could stroll the area, and see animals and other exhibits, now it sits there, off limits.

Or Teddi Barra's Swingin' Arcade (and why is it listed in the Guide still :confused: ).

You also still have the Plaza Gardens stage and surrounding area empty, the most use it gets is as a back door route to Rancho del Zocalo.

And how about the ball room at Chip 'n Dale Treehouse. Here is a perfect example of current TDA thinking, they decide it cost too much to operate - CM supervision, and the need to clean the balls quite often, due to kids having "accidents" in the balls. (But it is amazing that many other theme parks, and even local parks and restaurants still offer the ball room), but instead of replacing the play area with something else, heck, just close the area off!!!

Plus attractions that have limited hours, like the Enchanted Tiki Room, and Innoventions.

As for the PeopleMover rumor, while I heard it on and off, the last I heard was that the area was part of the discussion in how to rehab Space Mountain, with the possibility of using part of the track as an expansion area. Since the final decision hasn't been made in the Space Mountain rehab, how can they be planning to do two things at once??? It looks like they are going to be cheap on Space Mountain, and the 50th, and only do the required track replacement, plus redo the loading area to add additional safety and disabled access, and not spend the additional money to redesign the attraction. As for the PeopleMover, the best chance of it coming back was for the 50th, as a special 'anniversary' event, but I guess we get the repainting of iasw instead:p

As for Sleeping Beauty's Castle, as reported by Driftwood over at MouseInfo in his refurbishment updates (Driftwood is a senior CM who has access to the internal computerized scheduling system.), the March date is noted as a 'placemark" date, and not as an official date of return. This date always gets changed, and will be changed again shortly. Have you noticed that they have removed all signage, and don't post a "the Walkthrough is closed today due to maintenance". The only place the attraction exists is on the rehab list, it has been removed for the Guide to the Magic. (But, maybe that means that Teddi Barra's Swingin' Arcade is coming back:rolleyes: ) As for Refurb Mike's site, it has has been known to be out of date, and even though they just updated the information on the 9th, he has the Splash Mountain dates wrong, the correct dates are February 18th thru March 6th. Plus he has Fantasmic! coming back in May, when the entertainment CM schedule shows it coming back in June. And how many people think the Carrousel will be done by the end of the month,they still have a lot of work to do...

As for SSL, well, nobody has reported that ANY work has been done inside the place, and if they need to retrofit the cars, they better get to work, how long did it take to retrofit the Roger Rabbit cars???? at least 6 months!

As for Tom Sawyer's Island, they are supposely going to rip down the fort, and many other structures, but the plan is only to refurb the current front half of the island to open this spring/early summer, and not to do any work in the Fort area except to tear down the fort. The rehab for that part of the island is to be done in the future, due, once again, to budget issues.

I remember Marcie mentioning the new CircleVision rumor months ago, but even she is now quiet on the subject. And while it would have been a nice 50th anniversary treat, that could be done for fairly little money (as compared to a new attraction, or returning another attraction, like the PeopleMover). But it looks like it also ended cut out of the budget. If it reopens, the Premiere shop would have to be relocated to the current American Space Experience area, since the current site would be needed as the exit to CircleVision. But, of course, Disney would redesign the area to make sure the CircleVision guests have to walk through the shop to leave ;)

Captain Hook's Pirate Ship was NOT replaced, the area became the new location for Dumbo.

So, what areas are sitting empty, not being used????

Submarine Voyage
Peoplemover/Rocket Rods
Skyway
CircleVision
Motor Boat Cruise
Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walkthrough
Big Thunder Ranch
Festival of Fools stage
Tom Sawyer's Island Fort area
Plaza Gardens Stage
Second level of Starcade
Chip 'n Dale Treehouse ball play area.

That adds up to 12 areas, WOW!!!

Don
01-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Darkbeer,

You post seems to sum up quite nicely why Disneyland is not worth the $47 right now. Over on LP, there's been a couple of rather interesting threads about basically the same topic. If you were to post this there, I'd be willing to bet some posters there would tell you you are unable to enjoy the park, among other things, and eventually threaten to report you to their moderator because you dare to disagree with them. Yet here on MP, there's been nothing but courteous debate. Curious, that.

AliKzam
01-12-2003, 07:54 PM
DisneyGuy03, yes, Tahitian Terrace had been replaced by Alladin's Oasis. But is it still even open? I haven't been in there since that restaurant closed. I heard they'd been doing storytime there for kids, but anytime I pass by that giant tiger head it's roped off.

Lost Boy
01-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Well, I just had to say my 2 cents worth here.

Disneyland is worth any price!!! It is an escape from the day to day world. I (Me Personally, ok!) do not go to the Park just to ride rides anymore. I go to just get away from it all. A place were (most of the time) people are smiling and friendly. And where else can you meet one of the most famous movie actors in the known world and go up and give him a hug? Lets see if I can do this:

Cost of a Mickey Plush $25.00
Cost of lunch $15.00
Cost of a really cool pin $10.00

Cost of just walking around and laughing yourself silly in Toontown, or thinking about flying off to Neverland with Peter Pan in Fantasyland, or Riding a real live Steam Driven Steamship or Real Sailing Ship in Frontieland, or riding a Steam Train around the Park, or meeting Mickey Mouse in person - PRICELESS!

It's the magic folks! And that's why I keep going back. Not to count how many rides are down! I really do love just walking through the Parks and watching people, looking at things, and just relaxing.

HBTiggerFan
01-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by DisneyGuy03
Did I ever say that it was a "regular" CM? No, I didn't, but I can't divulge information on this one, sorry, I know this CM reads the boards, if the CM involved decides to post on it, it's their business and no it wouldn't be exactly as it used to be, obviously there would be lots of changes that would have to be made, but in some form or another it is slated to come back.....I do not know exactly when either. This was confirmed by another person, who's mom is a CM, but, again I do trust the one that told me to tell me the truth, it was just a nice confirmation, again I have no date as to when it's supposed to be done.

I did not say you were talking to a "regular" CM, I just asked who you have been talking to because a "regular" CM wouldn't have this for sure info. Heck, I highly doubt that a high up CM would have this info as definite.

However, everything is a rumor until construction or a press release has been made

Check the pre-recorded hotline, RefurbMike's page, the Disneyland website, they all state that it is scheduled to reopen in spring.

The pre-recorded hotline said nothing about any attractions on refurb. Maybe I called the wrong one. I do not check fan sites for refurb info, as it is not always accurate. I also do not see how a fan site would have information to when an attraction is for sure re-opening or being brought back from yesterdayland. I prefer to visit the park and ask people who have been to the park recently if a ride has been operating.

No, it is reopening in March, there are some safety changes that are needed to the attraction and they should be completed by then. (Saftey changes akin to Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin doors from what I have heard, why we don't know, but blame our oh so wonderful (major sarcasim intended) theme park safety comission, they keep getting in the way of everything)

It appears there has been no work being done on SSL. They need to refurb the cars and they were going to change some things inside too because of the pure stupidity of the ride.

Last I heard is that the Circlevision theater is slated to reopen for the 50th with a new film......if you are wondering how that will work if the track of the people mover is being used, it would be easy to move the que over into the premier shop and make an exit in the Amarican Space Exhibit area or vice versa.

I would love to think Circle Vision will be back for the 50th, however I have heard this rumor so many times with so many dates I find it hard to believe.

The subs are indeed not coming back, but, again, check the disneyland website, pre-recorded hotline and refurbmike's page for rehab info.

The disneyland website is infamous for not being accurate, what should make me think that the pre-recorded hotline would be any more accurate? Please see above for my comments on fan sites.

In closing,
Everything is a rumor until DL starts construction or issues a press release. And even with a press release it is subject to change.

merlinjones
01-12-2003, 08:22 PM
While the Tahitan Terrace and Golden Horseshoe spaces >are< being used today, these are undeniably downgraded, bottom-line experiences.

The classic Walt Disney era attractions were a full
Polynesian dinner show with a band, soloist, three hula girls and a fire dancer (Terrace) and a full vaudeville burlesque show with a band, two soloists, a comedian and troupe of can-can girls (Horseshoe).

How do these showstoppers compare with the (pleasant but low-budget and low impact) three person children's theatre troupe (Oasis) and a hillbilly comedy band (Horseshoe).

We deserve the cooler shows back for the 50th for our (by then at least) $50.!

merlinjones
01-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Also...

If they won't put the submarines back into commission, at LEAST put in a full sized mock-up of the Nautilus for eye candy/picture spot. The empty lagoon is simply tacky... though the Kodak picture spot marker remains!

As for Captain Hook's Ship/Skull Rock - - It had been planned to move the Ship to a new location by StoryBookLand on Small World Way, but the ship crumbled when they tried to move it. It was supposed to have been reconstructed at a later time, but the budget was finally cut!

I think they owe us a pirate ship and a sub!