PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else miss the Big Thunder BBQ?

CarlieB
01-08-2003, 12:12 PM
I think it's a pity that Disney closed the Big Thunder BBQ. It was nice to have an outdoorsy place to eat at the park, and although I've been to Rancho del Zocalo & quite enjoyed it, I felt that it didn't have quite the same atmosphere. Anyone else feel the same?

mad4mky
01-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes!
You understood my answer, right?;)

I really, really dislike Rancho what-ever ...

I miss the bbq pork sandwiches...the bbq ribs they had...mmmm...how I miss that place. I also miss the plain ol' Mexican restaraunt. I liked their food. I am not so crazy about that Ranch what ever's food at all.

But, since both my favorite places closed, I tend to eat more at Blue Bayou. It's good food...but so pricey. :(

I had lunch there Monday...and boy their pork roast was soooo good...

zedizdead
01-08-2003, 12:16 PM
We used to always go there. I miss it very much. Rancho is good, but it's not the same.

Lani
01-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Me! Me! Me!

I so miss their BBQ chicken. And the outdoor tables were wonderful and relaxing on a balmy day.

The BBQ chicken at Zocalo is really disappointing. They don't actually cook the chicken with any sauce flavor. In fact, I think they must boil it first and then blast it in a furnace... and then they have the chicken sitting there until you order one at the counter, at which time they briefly put it on their grill, and brush a few strokes of the BBQ sauce. Talk about no flavoring! Very disappointing. :rolleyes:

Andrew
01-08-2003, 12:34 PM
The barbecue beef sandwich was really good, and I liked the sides (real corn muffin, beans, etc). I wasn't fond of the dirt floor, though, 'cause I had to put my camera bag and jacket on the bench or table to keep them from getting all covered with dirt.

I do think RDZ's menu is a step down from both Big Thunder and Casa Mexicana. I really miss Casa's chili colorado (I think that's what it was called) and their two-taco special.

Bill Catherall
01-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Count me in! It was always our most favorite place to eat. We loved the theme, the atmosphere, and most of all the food. You really got your money's worth there.

Does anybody remember how they used to put the drinks in jars instead of those disposable cups? That was great! :D

MammaSilva
01-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Count me in among the grieving hordes....the BBQ area was great.. the food wonderful, and the whole atmosphere made it so much fun, I also MISS the old menu from the old mexican restaurant, the chili colorado.....I'm getting sad just thinking about it's demise....the new combo place is "ok" depending on what you like/order bt I hate the whole scramble thing.....food is getting cold while you are trying to get the rest of your food....that blows

jslivinski
01-08-2003, 02:23 PM
It was our favorite resturant and a trip doesn't go by that we don't miss it. The new resturant just isn't the same. We ate there once, but the lines are too long and the food was just so-so.

Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Does anybody remember how they used to put the drinks in jars instead of those disposable cups? That was great! :D I don't remember the jars, but we still have a couple of heavy plastic cups from there.

AVP
01-08-2003, 03:06 PM
OOOoooohhh - you're making me sad! I miss that restaurant much - I miss the wonderful corn muffins baked right in the husk, (a far cry from those brick things they serve now), and the wonderful baked beans and the awesome ribs and the Friday night prime rib special....

And watching Billy Hill and the Hillbillies there when Woody and Jessie had kicked them out of the Golden Horseshoe...

Or eating there before Hunchback....

*sigh*

AVP

adriennek
01-08-2003, 03:15 PM
When we first had our APs, we would regularly stop by the park *just* to eat at BTBBQ.

We always ate there whenever we went to the park- yes I remember the jars for glasses. Once we were eating there and someone obviously famous was eating nearby, but we couldn't figure out who it was. After they left, we asked a CM- it had been Gloria Estephan and her family. It was right after she'd sung something at an Olympic ceremony (in Atlanta maybe?)

I miss it. The bathrooms there had warm water coming out of the sinks. They were really well themed bathrooms. :)

Adrienne K

Laffite
01-08-2003, 03:32 PM
I love that place and it needs to come back! I miss stufing my face into the ribs and having inadequate napkins (thus the arms) :rolleyes: :)

Preston

Lani
01-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Ohhhh, all this talk is making me HUNGRY!!!

rexfarms
01-08-2003, 04:32 PM
They had the best Mushroom burgers. I only ate there once though. :(

ksejr1
01-09-2003, 10:20 AM
I went there once when i was little and remember the tasty BBQ chicken. Of course this was long ago, I wish it was still around. What year did it close?? I also loved seeing the Mickey Cow before going to eat there. Sounds weird doesn 't it, luckly I don't eat red meat.

cstephens
01-09-2003, 11:28 AM
I can't decide if I miss Casa Mex more or if I miss Big Thunder BBQ more. The food at Big Thunder was great. But even more than that were the experiences. Sitting there on a coolish night, with the fireplace going. The many times that Big Thunder BBQ was the lunch choice of the a.d.d. meets. Eating at Hunchback before, during or after Festival of Fools. Sitting at a table having dinner, during which one of the people present sings me the entire song of "the biggest ball of twine". While having dinner, the staff lets us know that the dessert ordered by one person isn't available after all, and when we say never mind then, they then decide to bring out a huge plate of various food items in apology, so much so that a late-comer doesn't have to buy anything for dinner other than her own drink. (We figured that since it was almost closing time, they would have had to throw all the food away anyway, but it was an awfully nice gesture.) Having lunch there when they actually came around giving out drink refills!

We had the good fortune of eating there on their last day of operation, so we were able to get a couple of their "last day" logo mugs. That was cool.

drjones
01-12-2003, 12:13 AM
RIBS!!!

dsnyredhead
01-12-2003, 09:08 AM
I miss the ribs. Probably the thing I really miss though is that Big Thunder BBQ used to serve prime rib off the bbq during the christmas season..that was so good! I also liked the atmosphere at that location as well.