PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland, DCA, and pieces to a puzzle

ErikBsandiego
01-07-2003, 10:17 PM
At the risk of another "DCA" stinks flame war, I want to offer the following hypothesis.......

That "modern" disney was "made" by four great additions that came after the park opened. They were innovative, they still have not been matched for theme park attractions (outside of other Disney Properties), they had show elements that "built" excitement and, because of a "how did they do that?" aspect, they remain worthy of return visist after return visit.....

They are:

POTC
HM
Indie
Space Mountain

What DCA desperately needs (and TOT is a start) is rides that EQUAL that kind of experience - E Tickets that go beyond what one has experienced. The key for management if they hope to drive attendence at the 2nd gate is to develop for 2005 and 2006 attractions that can follow on from TOT. Unfortunately, they better get cracking if they are going to get them built in time.....

ldsguy
01-07-2003, 11:57 PM
While I personally really like DCA, I do agree that it could use more "E-ticket" attractions. I wouldn't currently deem DCA worthy of a one day pass, but certainly worthy of several hours of a park-hopping pass. And plenty of time if you have an Annual Pass.

RStar
01-08-2003, 08:38 AM
And to raise the price of DCA:eek: !!

At least they are giving DCA away for free to locals.....

I think soaring is an 'E' ticket, though it is only a film and has no "how did they do that?" or " I didn't notice that last time!". Only "WOW" factor, which gets lost after so many rides.

So, I agree with you completely.

DisneyFan25863
01-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by RStar

I think soaring is an 'E' ticket, though it is only a film and has no "how did they do that?"

It does, kind of. You know, with the whole "Flying" thingy;)

PS: If you want my take on DCA, read my signature;)

Wizard69
01-12-2003, 11:46 AM
I've been on Soarin' over 200 times and I STILL love it!

DisneyGuy03
01-12-2003, 12:20 PM
I love it as well, it is an amazing ride and if you know anything about the design, really the setup they have is absolutely amazing, to be able to HVAC systems (Way they get the breeze and smell in there) on something that moves that dramatically (I mean going from the flor up all that way into the air) is amazing, esp. one that works reliably.

Not to mention, the sound system, the hydrolics, the back up mechanisims for if the hydrolics fail to bring the vehicle? not sure if that's the ruight term here or not but still, if it fails to come down on it's own, the back up mechanisms that are in place to get it down.

Making that kind of a projection from the distance that it must be done at, and to have one of the largest IMAX screens in existence.

Really, just riding it, there is no factor of how did they do it, but if yopu look at the details of how it's built, there is a lot of how on earth did they do it, so that it will work and not be constantly broken.....really, I have seen very little down time on Soarin' except when the park very first opened, but everything had a lot of downtime back then, but once you start really looking at it, there is a lot of how did they do that going on there.

Ok, can't tell that I design stuff for a living can you? ;-)

malin
01-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Ok Im from the UK but got to visit DCA for the first time in November.And I agree with ErikBsandiego DCA is a few E ticket attractions away from being a good park.

Sourin,Screamin and Grizzley River Run are all E Ticket attractions.

Millionaire,Disney Animation,Muppet 3D and Its Tough to be a bug are also very good.

TOT will be another fantastic addition to DCA.

But I think DCA needs some attractions that the whole family can enjoy.Like Pirates,Haunted Mansion,Jungle Cruise and Small World.

DCA recently added Flik's Fantasy Fair.Kids might enjoy these cool bug themed carnaval rides but what about the rest of the family?

How about building a Flik dark ride or something similar that will help bring the quality of DL over to DCA.

Im not trying to hurt DCA as I love the park.But its got its fair share of problems which I just wanted to point out.

On a differn't note DCA got some sort of mention in the UK tonight.Sadly it was on The Simpson's.You know the one where The Simpsons visit jail to see who was trying to kill Homer.It finally aired in the UK tonight.And who would of thought it was Frank Grimes JR that was trying to kill our Homer.

Lashbear
01-12-2003, 06:13 PM
For E-Ticket awards, I nominate "California Screamin' ".... I have now ridden rollercoasters all over Australia, as well as at Knotts, Magic Mountain, IOA & 6 Flags over Texas, and I can say that "Screamin' " is the most classic coaster I have ridden (Yes, I know it's a metal woodie... still...)

The LIM launch is clean and breathtaking, the total airtime is more than adequate, the bunny hops are the BEST I've been over, and the whole thing looks classic to boot! It also pulls some amazing G-forces, and throughout all of this, it doesn't even slam your head from side to side too badly (My ears were bleeding after Revolution at Magic Moiuntain !!)

California Screamin' - the finest coaster in the world :cool: (IMHO).

Cheers,
Rob
:D