PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a wheelchair rental company?

littlej
07-02-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm pulling together a list of companies and quotes. I see a lot of recommendations for scooters, but we definitely do not want a scooter. My mom can walk fine, just not all day long and still be able to walk the next day. Anyone have a great (or abysmal) experience with a manual wheelchair only?

Thanks!

GusMan
07-02-2009, 01:03 PM
I guess my question is... why not a scooter?

Heres the thing... During two different vacations, I had my mom with me. We had a wheelchair for one and we rented a scooter for the other. While she was mobile in such a way where she could park either one outside and stand in queues, and walk around stores, it was the extreme amount of walking around the park that really impacted her.

In comparing things, dollar for dollar spent, the scooter was the best value. She was mobile, yet independent. With the WC, I was the one that had to do the pushing and after a while, I was pretty much wiped out from doing so. (Though was glad to do it for mom.) She also noticed how much effort it was for me and felt bad. She didnt want to be "a burden." I wanted her to have a good time, but you know how people are at times if they think that they are holding you back - it can put a damper on things.

She was so much happier using the scooter. And if there is ever a place that helps accommodate people with scooters, its WDW.

ETA: While renting at the parks is always an option, a company that I dealt with before was Walker Mobility (http://walkermobility.com/). Was very pleased. If you do want to go the scooter route, try Scooter Vacations (http://www.scootorlando.com/mouseplanet.html), a MousePlanet Sponsor. (Unfortunately, they dont rent WC's from what I can tell...)

Just remember that a WC or scooter rented at the parks, cannot go outside the parks, but you can get another one at a different park, subject to availability, on the same day with your paid reciept.

Scooters/WC's from an outside vendor are of course welcomed in the parks and you can take them pretty much anywhere outside the parks as well.

adriennek
07-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I see a lot of recommendations for scooters, but we definitely do not want a scooter.

I guess my question is... why not a scooter?

snip to

With the WC, I was the one that had to do the pushing and after a while, I was pretty much wiped out from doing so. (Though was glad to do it for mom.) She also noticed how much effort it was for me and felt bad. She didnt want to be "a burden." I wanted her to have a good time, but you know how people are at times if they think that they are holding you back - it can put a damper on things.

I have to echo GusMan's comments. Who is going to be the person 'stuck' pushing your mom in the chair all day?

I have had the opportunity to push people in chairs in a variety of situations. In one case, the person has a wonderful chair - it's an expensive chair so it is lightweight and easier to push. But these aren't the kinds of chairs that typically are available to rent. Usually those chairs are the heavier, bulkier chairs.

I vote for "Let the scooter do the "work"!"

Adrienne

AVP
07-02-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm firmly in the "rent a scooter" camp, especially if you're not used to pushing a wheelchair for extended periods of time. There were a few years where my husband's medical condition necessitated the use of a wheelchair when we visited theme parks, and I've logged a LOT of miles pushing one. He had a "good" one, not the usual medical supply rental, but it was still a lot of work to push it. After a single day my wrists would hurt because of the unnatural angle of the handles.

Your mom is likely to enjoy herself more using a scooter, because she can go / do / see what she wants, without having to ask someone to take her. I know there were days that my husband said he felt like furniture because he wasn't able to control where he went.

My 2c, based on a LOT of experience.

AVP

Cheshire Figment
07-03-2009, 06:51 PM
It is possible to borrow a wheelchair at a Resort, but they cannot be reserved in advance and really are intended for unexpected needs.

There are several places which will rent both wheelchairs and ECVs.

And, much as they are not noticeable to the majority of people, there are hills at WDW which you will find out about if you are pushing a chair. And the chairs rented at the parks are (a) not lightweight, and (b) do not have adjustments available.

littlej
07-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I guess I should have explained a little better, but I didn't want to get wordy. There will be three adult able-bodied persons pushing the wheelchair, all with experience doing so. My mother's mother (not coming on this trip) cannot walk due do the extent of arthritis damage to her knees, and my mom and dad push her in a folding wheelchair daily when they take her out. My grandma lives next door to my parents, who are her primary caretakers. They are experienced (second-hand) with scooters as well. My mom is the one who made the final decision, and we're fine with it. It will enable her to rest and be pushed when she tires, as well as give her something to lean on when she wants to walk, at which point she'll be pushing it herself. We honestly don't know how many hours she'll actually be riding in it, and it might not be very often at all, but it is worth it to us to rent it for the week to have it when we need it. And for this reason, we made the decision to rent it from an outside company for the week and not on a day-by-day basis inside the park only. We also already realized that sometimes resorts will loan a wheelchair if it's available. We chose to pay to have it guaranteed.

Whew!

All that being said, so far I've found these companies online that rent manual wheelchairs: Care Medical Equipment, Scootaround, KM Rentals, Discount Mobility USA, Walker Mobility, and Apple Scooter. GusMan, you mentioned you were happy with Walker Mobility, that's helpful, thanks. Any other first-hand accounts with wheelchair rentals?

Thanks!