PDA

View Full Version : DLR price hike on the news

HBTiggerFan
01-07-2003, 05:19 PM
I think that this belongs here,

NBC news has been reporting the price hike to $47. They also say that "the prices have gone up 24% since 1983 (shoot I forgot, I am pretty sure it was 83, it was the year they went to passports vs. ticket books) but attendance has dropped by over 1million." hummmm...

The news also said that DLR is saying that the prices are competative with the theme park industry and that is relative to the value you get at the DLR parks. :confused:

Me think they need to raise attendance before they can justify price increases.

Dexter
01-07-2003, 05:47 PM

I agree with that, I also agree that they need to do something with the parking lot, I mean DCA :eek:

I realize that we are getting the ToT next year, I can't wait for that, but I've been to DCA many times since I've bought my pass and the hour or two that I spend there is certainly not worth 47 bucks by itself.

As for Disneyland, if they see any more attractions closures there won't be anything to do at the park except the JC and GMWML :eek: . On second thought, there are the fantasyland rides that I personally don't care for, but I have been known to ride from time to time.

Anyone remember last year when TDA had the bright idea of closing just about everything at once?

EandCDad
01-07-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan

I don't see how an increase in attendance is needed to justify a price increase. They could justify it with an increase in quality (I'm not saying they've had an increase in quality, I'm just saying thats one way they could justify it), it could be justified by higher costs (again, they are probably just being greedy, but that's another justification), or it could be an idea that they will still make their attendance goals at a higher price.

I'm also leery of the idea that attendance has gone down 1 million from what they drew in 1983. The figures out there that I could find showed attendance of about 10 million in 1983 and 12.5 million or so last year. However, NBC might have better figures.

tabacco
01-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Disney's still cheaper than Paramount's Great America, which is $49.95 right now, I believe. It's certainly a better value.

ryguy
01-07-2003, 10:12 PM
what are we paying extra for, there's no new attractions and they're laying off people. so whats this extra money paying for aladdin blue makeup or what

ChristopherCarrrion
01-07-2003, 11:01 PM
what are we paying extra for, there's no new attractions and they're laying off people. so whats this extra money paying for aladdin blue makeup or what

Hmm, this may be a stretch here, but how about New Attractions, and possibly less lay offs.

Are ?you really paying extra? You're not one of the million+ AP holders?

Have you been to a movie lately? Notice the price? I think the price for a movie ticket has gone up much more quickly. I fully expect to have to pay $10.00+ for a movie ticket by the end of this year.

But I could be wrong.

ryguy
01-07-2003, 11:08 PM
i'm not an ap and i do pay full price for a park hopper pass and yah im wodering whats up with the price hike when there is nothing new goin on and yep i have seen the movie prices lately and dlr is not a movie the last i checked dude

Darkbeer
01-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Disney hikes SoCal theme park admissions by $2 (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/4891730.htm) - Associated Press, 1/7/03

Disneyland has made price increases an annual event despite flagging theme park attendance. Disneyland admission prices have jumped 24 percent since 1998 while annual attendance has dipped by more than 1 million, according to industry estimates.

So HB Tigger Fan, the quote from AP is only in FOUR years that the price has gone up 24%!!!:eek:

As for the reason why they needed to raise prices, here is another quote from the AP article...

The jump reflects increased operating and investment expenses, Disney officials said.
"We think the one-day admission price to our parks is well in line with the entertainment experiences our guests receive," said Tom Brocato, spokesman for the Disneyland Resort.

Too bad that means less attractions and attractions.....:mad:

HBTiggerFan
01-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Darkbeer, that is very interesting. I could have sworn the news said 1980something. hummm. our local affiliate NBC4 is the station I was listening to. www.nbc4.tv it was loading to slow for me today.

ldsguy
01-07-2003, 11:55 PM
No, we are paying extra to see the construction on TOT ;-) Once it opens look to pay $10 more than we now are...sorry, but at the rate they are going this is what it will be before long, really, they should have left the park prices alone or reduced them, Sea World's just went up $2-$5 (sorry, I don't remember exactly) as well though, so they are staying competitive in the regaurds; however, Sea World and Universal Studios both have Buy a Day get a eyar free, yes each one is slightly different, Universal Studios is a full year; whereas, Sea World's is just until the end of the year, but still, if Disneyland started a deal like that, then I could see raising ticket prices slightly and yes both Universal's pass and Sea World's pass have black out days, but no where near the number of blackout days that even the Deluxe pass at Disneyland has.......I know, we shouldn't compare policies of Disenyland to other theme parks as a general rule, but in this case Disney started it by saying they were staying competitive....so, if you want to stay competitive, then offer similar or better deals than other then parks, so let's take a look and see if they are truly being competitve or not shall we?:
Knott's Berry Farm Pass Prices:
Annual Passes:
Knotts Only (No blackout dates):
Adult $109.95
Child (3-11): $59.95
Senior (60+): $65.95

One Day Price:
Adults $42.00
Children (3-11) $32.00
Seniors (60 or over) $32.00

So. Cal Price:
Adults $32.00
Children (3-11) $22.00
Seniors (60 or over) $22.00
Please note, that this price is valid year around.......a bit of a difference here? We get special deal some parts of the year.

After 4 p.m. Promotion
Adults $21.00
Children (3-11) $15.00
Seniors (60 or over) $15.00
(Offered any day Knott's is open past 6 p.m. I wasn't going to put this in, but this points out how Disney isn't being competitve as well by not offering a similar promotion)

Sea World Pass Prices:
Park Prices
Single Day/Fun Card Prices (Black out dates are May 26, July 4, Sept. 1, and Dec. 20-31 and are not subject to change):
· $44.95 for adults ($48.95 for two day ticket)
· $44.95 for seniors 50 and above
· $34.95 for children ages 3 through 9 ($38.95 for two day ticket)
· Free for children 2 and younger
Also parking is still only $7 for cars and $9 for RVs, how is this being competitve to have a higher admission price and a higher parking price?

Also of note is the Platinum Annual Pass, it's not my intention to advertise for any particular theme park, but to show that Disney isn't remaining competitve here, the Platinum Annual Pass costs:
Adult $11.24/mo. $134.95
Child (Ages 3-9) $9.57/mo. $114.95
Senior (50+) $9.99/mo. $119.95
The $/mo is if you use Ez-Pay, which allows you to pay for your annual passport in installments, throguh a credit card or bank account via direct withdrawl, this has not extra charge associated with it, the benefits of this pass are far more imense than even a Premium Annual Pass at Disneyland, they are:
Of course unlimited One-year Admission to SeaWorld San Diego

A Welcome Kit including license plate frame, car-window decal and lanyard (I would estimate the value of this, if similar items were purchased at DLR would be $27, also, not mentioned above is a special pin, at least they used to give it as part of the package)

One free bonus admission ticket and guest seating ticket (Value is obvious here)

Free parking (When Prefered Parking is not available, they then direct you to another special section, which is closer than the remainder of the parking lot, when both is full, they then direct you to the remainder of the parking lot)

Free Preferred parking (when available)

Unlimited free rides on the Skyride thing and on the Sky Tower (both of which normally would run $2.50 each ride)

Reserved Seating at all shows and front-of-the-line privileges at Pirates 4-D (Soon to be R.L. Stine's Haunted Light House)

20% saving on guest admission, merchandise and guided tours (Again Disney isn't competitive here either, also no minimum puchase)

10% Savings on food at any restaurant This also includes ODV locations and again, no minimum purchase

Exclusive events and previews (No extra charge and they do several every year)

Savings on education courses, birthday parties, sleepovers, summer camps and the Dolphin Interaction Program (In other words discounts on the equivelant of Disney's Private Parties and such)

Free admission to seven other Anheuser-Busch Adventure Parks. (excluding Discovery Cove; Admission discount only; does not include discounts on food and merchandise, reserved seating, preferred parking, etc.) How cool would it be to buy a pass at Disneyland and be able to use it at Disney World, Disneyland Paris and Disneyland Tokyo? Also, this pass gives free regular parking at the other parks.

Also, most of the time Annual Pass Holders at Sea World have the additional benefit of being able to enter through the Exit Gates, thus avoiding the lines.

Ok, again, I am not posting this to advertise for thes or any specific parks, that's why I only posted some of the deals they have,, my intention here is rather to show that Disney is not being competitive, as they, themselves claim they are, to me the Platinum Pass at Sea World does indeed prove this, this pass is good for a total of Eight theme parks, out Premium Pass is only good fro two and costs a lot more money, with indeed fewer benefits, now can anyone tell me how Disney is remaining competitive comapred with this?

Please note, that I have an Annual Pass to Disneyland and as soon as I can afford it again, I will get one for Sea World, if I got out the places that the other parks that Sea World's pass is valid for are located, I would have gotten a Sea World pass instead of the Disneyland pass, as right now I can only afford one or the other, but in the future I hope to be able to have both or be able to travel more, but that is beside the point, this is just me trying to figure out how Disneyland is being competiive with other parks in the area.

Darkbeer
01-08-2003, 12:40 AM
First off, to HB Tigger Fan, here is another quote...

Disney Continues Aggressive Pricing, Raises Admission at Southland Parks (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disney7jan07.story) - LA Times, 1/7/03

Disney has hiked ticket prices for visitors 10 and older 24% since 1998. During that time, annual attendance at the world's most famous theme park has dipped by more than 1 million visitors and now stands at about 12.5 million, according to industry estimates.

And to ldsguy, it was Sea World in Orlando that decided to raise their price, not Sea World of California.

And here is another interesting stat related to the latest Disney price increase....

Disney ticket prices rise $2 (http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=19447&section=BUSINESS&year=2003&month=1&day=7) - Orange County Register, 1/7/03

Disney last raised its one-day prices in March, also by $2. That means the price of admission for ages 10 and over has risen 9.3 percent since March, or more than four times the annual rate of consumer inflation. For children younger than 10, the increase is 12.1 percent - more than five times annual inflation.

ldsguy
01-08-2003, 08:03 AM
And to ldsguy, it was Sea World in Orlando that decided to raise their price, not Sea World of California.
I just talked with a friend that works at Sea World San Diego and she said that before the New Year it costs $42.95, I had to double check, because I could have sworn it was and it was indeed, my main point on the Sea World thing was while they have gone up a little, they also offer passes that have by far mroe benefits, like the Platinum Annual Pass that is valid for 8 parks total, plus all the other benefits and costs less money.

Hmm, this may be a stretch here, but how about New Attractions, and possibly less lay offs.
Sorry, just saw this and I have to respond to it......We currently have less attractions (I'm not going over the list of closed attractions and I'm not just refering to rehabs) and they are talking more lay offs than ever.

cstephens
01-08-2003, 11:49 AM
Re: Sea World's Platinum Pass

I've been an AP holder at Sea World for about 10 years now (I lost count), and as soon as they offered the Platinum Pass, I upgraded, as did everyone else I know who has a Sea World AP. It is indeed a great deal, but as much as I love Sea World, I will be the first to admit that Sea World is not comparable to any of the Disney parks. Doesn't mean it's better or worse (useless to compare them that way, I think, since they offer totally different experiences), but Sea World doesn't have the appeal, either domestically or internationally, that the Disney name does. The equivalent to the Platinum Pass applicable to Disney would cost a heck of a lot more money.

And Sea World's day price keeps going up too, as far as I recall, just like many other theme parks. I haven't paid attention to their day price in quite some time now.

HBTiggerFan
01-08-2003, 04:40 PM
DarkBeer,
I wasn't doubting the links and sources, I was just saying what I had heard on the news, which is wrong.

DisneyGuy03
01-08-2003, 05:55 PM
I've been an AP holder at Sea World for about 10 years now (I lost count), and as soon as they offered the Platinum Pass, I upgraded, as did everyone else I know who has a Sea World AP. It is indeed a great deal, but as much as I love Sea World, I will be the first to admit that Sea World is not comparable to any of the Disney parks. Doesn't mean it's better or worse (useless to compare them that way, I think, since they offer totally different experiences), but Sea World doesn't have the appeal, either domestically or internationally, that the Disney name does. The equivalent to the Platinum Pass applicable to Disney would cost a heck of a lot more money.

I agree that you can't compare them adequetly, they do offer different experiences, but at the same time the one day pass is only slightly more and if you count the number of parks, excluding Disnye's water parks, I believe you come up with 8 for Disney as well, or they could limit it to 8. But it wasn't me that had this insane idea of comapring them, it was Disney, they sade there were just trying to remain competitive.

And Sea World's day price keeps going up too, as far as I recall, just like many other theme parks. I haven't paid attention to their day price in quite some time now.

You are quite correct, which is why again, I say that dollar for dollar, that the Disney equivelant of a Platinum pass should only be maybe $20 or so more than the Sea World platinum pass, I mean, after all, if admission prices are similar, and they are only about $2 cheaper for a one day pass, why would it be so much more expensive for Disney?

Well, it's my two cents there, again, it's the whole thing that Disney said they were trying to be competitive.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
01-08-2003, 11:55 PM
I think Disneyland needs to deal with it's holiday crowds and summer crowds more effectively. It is some-what well known by those that frequent Disneyland reguarly that during the off season attractions are down and entertainment scaled way back.

I think Disney should look into it's pricing model and incorporate the Disneyland Paris high and low season pricing.

For example - A one day one park passport could cost $39 in the off season, and $55 in the high season. The extra 16 bucks gets you extended park hours - Fantasmic! - Fireworks etc etc

This would spread out crowds throughout the year as well.

Disney already does this to some degree with it's annual passes - the So Cal is bascially a low-season pass and the price reflects this.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
01-08-2003, 11:56 PM
whoops please disregard the the bold smallish type at the begining of my last post :-)

Thomas
01-09-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by ryguy
i'm not an ap and i do pay full price for a park hopper pass and yah im wodering whats up with the price hike when there is nothing new goin on and yep i have seen the movie prices lately and dlr is not a movie the last i checked dude

Dude, if you are tired of the price increases, stop going. ChristopherCarrion did not say DLR was a movie dude. Dude, how many times do you go a year dude. I mean like if you go 5 times dude, the AP dude pays for itself dude. Alright dude, later dude.

....haven't used the word dude so much before.

Doodle Duck
01-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Will someone please explain to me the thinking behind NOT getting a pass???

You pay $47 to get in to Disneyland. ONCE.
You pay $47 to get in to DCA. ONCE.

A YEAR pass is $99. for BOTH parks making them BOTH FREE on your 2nd visit! (give or take a buck or two.) So, if we get in FREE what's the gripe about $2?????????

Also consider the $99 pass used to be for just one park.

EandCDad
01-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by DoodleDuck(A.E)
Will someone please explain to me the thinking behind NOT getting a pass???

You pay $47 to get in to Disneyland. ONCE.
You pay $47 to get in to DCA. ONCE.

A YEAR pass is $99. for BOTH parks making them BOTH FREE on your 2nd visit! (give or take a buck or two.) So, if we get in FREE what's the gripe about $2?????????

Also consider the $99 pass used to be for just one park.

It's actually a $105. But other than that, I can't disagree with your premise.