PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland Trashcan band

BlastFanatic
01-06-2003, 07:42 PM
Did anyone else notice that the trash can band in tomorrowland plays almost the exact same thing that the 3 drummers in the Blast! DVD play on the stools during intermission? They also add bits from "Battery Battle." They also do some of their own stuff.

Just curious as to why they don't give Blast! credit for that, unless it's just something that's common among all drummers to perform. I'm assuming tho that it's Blast!'s.

BTW, i saw aladdin. Just makes me miss Blast! that much more! It's a pity they had to leave for that.

MammaSilva
01-06-2003, 07:45 PM
well not being a drummer I can't speak to that issue but I can say that the trashcan band has used those same 'tunes' since the beginnings of the band .. well before Blast.....I remember watching and enjoying them in the mid 90's... different performers I'm sure.. but nothing is more fun than to watch first time visitors faces when the guys stroll out and start strutting their stuff :)

and BTW I 100 percent agree that BLAST was awesome, we actually had the opportunity to see the full version in Sacramento this past Saturday and some of the performers from the DCA version performed at our show... it was soooo incredible!

ldsguy
01-06-2003, 08:02 PM
Actually, the trash can trio, as other things in the parks have updated to a bit of what Blast! used, this was done partially to appease the audience that loved Blast! and didn't want to see it go would be my guess, also because the music is awesome. The biggest example that I can give is the exit music for the Holiday Pep Band at DCA, it was a total rip off of the Blast! exit music, I thought it was cool, but none the less I saw it for what it was....but remember that the Blast! music is mostly classical and other old tunes (There is some original work, but most of it isn't, other than choreography and arrangements of course), most of which are actually in the public domain, so giving Blast! credit for them isn't really accurate.....take Bollero as one example, Bollero was written many, many years ago, it is now in Public Domain, I believe, Blast did one rendition of it, Barrage did another when they were here this last time, niether gave credit to the other, as that's not where the credit should be given, it should be given to the original composer, forgive me, I forget the name. For Barrage the idea of using Bolero came from Blast! esp. at Disneyland, because it would be a big hit......but if you look at school conerts and various other things going on now, you will see that Blast! has had a large influence since being at DCA, esp. on things here in California......and in the question and answer session we had the cast when I saw it at the Civic Center here in San Diego, they said they loved seeing that people were doing things that imitated them, as it made them feel that they were doing a good job at inspiring other performers.

Just thought I would throuh in my $.02 about why credit isn't given to Blast!

cemeinke
01-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ldsguy
you will see that Blast! has had a large influence since being at DCA, esp. on things here in California......and in the question and answer session we had the cast when I saw it at the Civic Center here in San Diego, they said they loved seeing that people were doing things that imitated them, as it made them feel that they were doing a good job at inspiring other performers.

OF course the Blast Folk just did a blatent rip-off of the theme music for the Dudly Moore Bo Derek Blockbuster 10. At no time did they give credit to Dudly Moore, Bo Derek, or Blake Edwards! Helloooo????

A bunch of plagerising drum banging hooligans if you ask me - stick 'em back in a half-time show where they belong.

DrumCorpsChick
01-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by ldsguy
The biggest example that I can give is the exit music for the Holiday Pep Band at DCA, it was a total rip off of the Blast! exit music, I thought it was cool, but none the less I saw it for what it was....it should be given to the original composer, forgive me, I forget the name.....but if you look at school conerts and various other things going on now, you will see that Blast! has had a large influence since being at DCA, esp. on things here in California......
Forgive me, I was unable to see the Holiday pep band due to an intensive work schedule, what was the exit music? What did they play?
As for Bolero....the original composer is Maurice J. Ravel.
And as far as the influence of Blast on high schools goes...I don't think it really went farther than having posters, video watching sessions, and special field trips. Songs like Bolero and Malaguena have been used and over used in the high school and drum corps scene. Of course, there are probably a few schools that let the popularity of Blast affect their music programs. One reason could be that some of the Blast cast members were/are instructors for high school music departments.

And to cemeinke.....No form of Blast ever involved a "half time show."

gn2dlnd
01-07-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by DrumCorpsChick
And to cemeinke.....No form of Blast ever involved a "half time show."

Yeah, cemeinke, and Blake Edwards wasn't in "10"! He was on "Dynasty" with Joan Rivers. I wish people would get their facts straight.

cemeinke
01-07-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by gn2dlnd
Yeah, cemeinke, and Blake Edwards wasn't in "10"! He was on "Dynasty" with Joan Rivers. I wish people would get their facts straight.

Oh dear - I knew I forgot something - Imeant to add one of these ":rolleyes: " to my original post.

Terribly Sorry
:~D

gn2dlnd
01-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Oh dear - I knew I forgot something - Imeant to add one of these ":rolleyes: " to my original post.

Terribly Sorry
:~D

But, wha? Then I'm going to have to add a ":rolleyes:." See, C, I got that there was an unspoken ":rolleyes:" in your post, so I thought you'd get that that my post had an unspoken ":rolleyes:," and then we could all enjoy the delicious secret irony and sarcasm inherent in the unspoken ":rolleyes:," but, no, the cold unemotionality of the keyboard foils me once again, and now I'm caught in a neverending "vortex" (insert unspoken ;) here) of a run-on sentence, excuse me, now, where did I put that, oh, here it is :rolleyes:, and anyway, everyone knows that Joan Rivers was never, ever on "Dynasty," that was Joan Crawford.

:rolleyes:

BlastFanatic
01-07-2003, 02:08 PM
take Bollero as one example, Bollero was written many, many years ago, it is now in Public Domain, I believe, Blast did one rendition of it, Barrage did another when they were here this last time, niether gave credit to the other, as that's not where the credit should be given, it should be given to the original composer, forgive me, I forget the name

actually, if you take a look at the Blast! website under the repertoire, they do give credit to the "original" composer for everything they play. I believe they did so in their program too. Barrage also did say that it was originally composed by ravel.

gn2dlnd
01-07-2003, 10:26 PM
Bollero, a tender tale told in tango, of a young boll weevil's love of a lady bug, and how their tangled web of deceipt unravels.

Disneyfreak
01-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Its how ironic how Tomorrowland is the worst land now that most of the attractions have closed down. Its funny how they have people playing on trash cans while the land looks so trashy!:D

DisneyGuy03
01-08-2003, 06:04 PM
actually, if you take a look at the Blast! website under the repertoire, they do give credit to the "original" composer for everything they play. I believe they did so in their program too. Barrage also did say that it was originally composed by ravel.
That was my point, tehy didn't give credit to the Trash Can Trio and the Trash Can Trio shouldn't give credit to Blast!, the credit is to be given to the appropriate person was my point.

Lashbear
01-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by gn2dlnd
Bollero, a tender tale told in tango, of a young boll weevil's love of a lady bug, and how their tangled web of deceipt unravels.

Aren't they doing that show in the "Tough to be a bug" theatre ?? :rolleyes:

I wonder if they'll notice my intentional unspoken :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Rob :D

gn2dlnd
01-09-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
Aren't they doing that show in the "Tough to be a bug" theatre ?? :rolleyes:

I wonder if they'll notice my intentional unspoken :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Rob :D

Thank you, thank you very much! I'm here 'til Thursday, don't forget to tip your server, you've been a great audience!