PDA

View Full Version : Interest in Captain EO return to Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2 3

sandler77
06-27-2009, 11:18 AM
In light of recent events, what are the chances Disney would consider reshowing Captain EO at its 3-D theater in tomorrowland? I am more than confident that the audience response would be HUGE lines filling the shows, if Disneyland crowds are anything like the recent record sales and auction items regarding Michael Jackson.

Just curious about interest...

I would definitely be in to see it again.

AnotherJenny
06-27-2009, 11:23 AM
My family was discussing this last night. Personally, I would like to see a few special showings, but I don't think it would do very well long term.

I would also like to see them do away with Honey I sucked-the-life-out-of-the-Audience too, but I usually find myself in the minority on that one.

tod
06-27-2009, 11:41 AM
No.

It was crappy then, and now it's morbid too.

--t

bennette
06-27-2009, 12:09 PM
I have mixed feelings on his personal history and his death but this just seems distasteful from any angle I can conceive of.

MammaSilva
06-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I agree, this has to fall under the most tasteless idea yet :( One of the local news casts tried doing a "oh share your memories of Captain EO in front of the resort yesterday and they barely found 2 people who 1) actually remembered the attraction and 2) were willing to be on camera, and those two were pretty lame in their interviews.

It doesn't matter how you felt about the man in his professional or private life but the bottom line is he's dead, he has 3 children who called him daddy who have to live in the fall out...if you can't let HIM rest in peace at least have a bit of compassion for those little ones who just know that Dad isn't coming home ever again.

zombie pirate
06-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I dont think it is a good ideal. Could they even show Captain EO now, or would they have to make major changes to show it? I never seen it. I can see some type of candle light vigil if enough of his fans wanted it.

trypticon
06-27-2009, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't mind having back in the theater again, but it's going to look extremely dated. Seriously, anything is better than Honey I Shrunk the Audience, as that serial had worn out its welcome before the show was even put in the theater.

DizMe
06-27-2009, 02:45 PM
I think it would be great. I'd love to see it again. It's so dated it would be cool, and I would see it as a tribute to MJ at his height. I don't see why it's any different than when other stars pass away and the works that helped make them famous are aired. I see it as honoring them, not being morbid. However, I think it would have to be a limited showing and not a replacement for HISTA, which certainly does need replacement but not with Captain EO.

K & S
06-27-2009, 03:05 PM
The Michael Jackson who made Captain EO is not the man who likely died from a drug overdose on Thursday. I don’t think the man who died represented the Disney image.

mckygirl99
06-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Maybe they will replay it on MTV. Do you all remember when they played it a few years back? That would be your best chance to catch it if you really wanted to see it!

Seashellmama
06-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Or, here:

http://www.movieline.com/2009/06/in-loving-memory-of-michael-jackson-king-of-pop-captain-eo-in-its-entirety.php

olegc
06-27-2009, 05:47 PM
I can see some type of candle light vigil if enough of his fans wanted it.

Really? at Disneyland? I'm sorry - but my desire is to get away from the real world. If I wanted to join a candlelight vigil I have plenty of places to go (hollywood blvd star, encino, hospital, coroner's office, apollo theater) if I want to do that.

And showing it on a limited basis without the effects would not do it justice. The only point was to have some of the effects with it to make it entertaining beyond his dance moves (which now have been replicated by so many it's almost become cliche). If anything - play it at the AMC but not in the park.

He was an iconic entertainer who brought so many innovations to music and dance. He also was a tragic figure that made many mistakes and poor decisions in his life that last few years. Let's leave all that to the papers and TMZ and not inside the Park.

olegc
06-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Maybe they will replay it on MTV. Do you all remember when they played it a few years back? That would be your best chance to catch it if you really wanted to see it!

i found it on youtube and downloaded it - and I bought a DVD with it on as well. it's out there - just take time to look.

AVP
06-27-2009, 06:08 PM
If I wanted to join a candlelight vigil I have plenty of places to go (hollywood blvd star....Just please, PLEASE make sure you gather around the right star. The local TV stations were showing people gathered around Michael Jackson's star Thursday night, some seemingly unaware that they were actually at the star of Michael Jackson, the radio host. The singer's star is supposedly inaccessible due to construction right now.

AVP

tod
06-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Just please, PLEASE make sure you gather around the right star. The local TV stations were showing people gathered around Michael Jackson's star Thursday night, some seemingly unaware that they were actually at the star of Michael Jackson, the radio host. The singer's star is supposedly inaccessible due to construction right now.

AVP

No.

The singer's star was inaccessible on Thursday because of a premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theatre. It has been accessible since 5:45 Friday morning when KTLA did a remote from there.

The radio personality's star is at 1541 Vine Street, about a 20-minute walk from Grauman's, and yes, people did mistakenly put tributes there on Thursday. The star for The Jacksons is near there, at 1500 Vine.

--t

Niwel
06-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I think some things are better off staying in my memory (and I can always watch youtube). :)

kiowa
06-28-2009, 03:41 AM
The Michael Jackson who made Captain EO is not the man who likely died from a drug overdose on Thursday. I don’t think the man who died represented the Disney image.

Didn't know you knew more than the Coroner, interesting. You should call the media and alert them because they were told it would take 5-6 weeks to get any information.

olegc
06-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Didn't know you knew more than the Coroner, interesting. You should call the media and alert them because they were told it would take 5-6 weeks to get any information.

Well, this is OT - but K&S did say likely - which means it's not definitive and not stated as a matter of knowing fact.

Back OT - EO was a neat attraction for its time and should probably stay in Yesterland. I know - in hindsight it seems better than HISTA but let's just have good memories here and I think it's for the best.

danyoung
06-28-2009, 07:29 AM
It was crappy then, and now it's morbid too.

--t

Really? tod, you're probably the only person I've ever heard from who didn't like Captain EO. I thought it was incredible. And while I'd love to see it again, I don't think it would be the same without all the cool in theater effects, like that amazing starfield right at the beginning, or the smoke coming out when they landed, with the green homing beacon blinking through.

I would like it, though, if Disney would produce a high quality dvd of the show. I have it taped off air from MTV, but the sound is really compressed, not that big fat bass-heavy sound that you got in the theater. I know the Extinct Attractions Club is offering a dvd of the video right off of the master (now how did they manage to get that?) and an hour of behind the scenes video. But they've been very inconsistent in their quality, so I'm not sure how good this would really be.

tod
06-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Really? tod, you're probably the only person I've ever heard from who didn't like Captain EO. I thought it was incredible.

I had seen 3D before, many times, when "Captain Eo" came out.

Although some things amused me (the little winged creature flipping the bird, the hidden cameos by Dick Shawn and Anjelica Huston) I found it dull. Coppola's use of the little winged creature flying straight into camera to disguise a clunky camera move was transparent on repeated viewings, and the stop-motion work was shoddy.

Jackson's music was good, I'll give it that. That's the only reason I went back.

Lots of people loved "Captain Eo," good for them.

I didn't.

--t

GORGON
06-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Thumbs down on that one

K & S
06-28-2009, 09:15 AM

I'm sorry you didn't understand my post, I used small words.

janell
06-28-2009, 10:06 AM
I think it be nice if they brought it back. I know its dated, but thats okay, its part of that time and would be cool to see again. I though that even before the passing of Michael Jackson.

And its time to get something else in that theater other then HISTA. Its ran its time.

It be cool if there was a place in DCA Backlot area where they could show all the old 3D shows. From what I know there is only two, but that would be fine.

backsthepack
06-28-2009, 10:34 AM
I think it would be a little creepy.

I also think that with the problems that he had in his life (I am not trying to judge him, or condemn him, no one can prove anything)....but IF any of it were true, it just isn't right for Disneyland. I also believe that drugs were the main cause of death for him. He just really had issues and it was sad. Again, none of it belongs at Disneyland.

Andrew
06-28-2009, 11:15 AM
How is Disney bringing back Captain EO for a tribute show conceptually any different than Jackson currently owning eight of the top ten spots (and 42 of the top 100) on iTunes right now? A well-known artist with a huge body of work suddenly dies, people want to experience it again.

I'd be all for it.