PDA

View Full Version : Dumbo is MIA from the new fireworks show. WHAT HAPPENED?

Pages : [1] 2

D1Prnzs
06-26-2009, 07:20 PM
What happened to Dumbo??? I was there twice this week and he was MIA. I didn't even know he existed and secretly wished that he would have been put into the show because one point obviously called for it.

I was just at Disneyland on June 22nd and I saw the new fireworks show for the first time. There is one scene where the music is just calling for Dumbo to fly out down the zip line, but it didn't happen and I thought the Imagineering team missed-out on this great staging opportunity. I decided to come back yesterday on Thursday, June 25th to watch the fireworks again from a good spot because I had a terrible view on Monday. I staked out a spot super early and after watching the show, I learned from two delightful ladies I was sitting with that they had watched videos online that showed there was a Dumbo that was supposed to appear and they were shocked that he didn't appear last night.

Well, now I am just disappointed that I've missed out on seeing Dumbo twice (especially since this second time I "camped-out" for over four hours). I asked guest relations what happened to Dumbo and they didn't know. Does anyone know what happened? Did he suffer an accident like the Fantasmic Dragon?

I went home and found the video on YouTube and it was fantastic. I'm sorry I missed out. It would have made the show more Magical instead of just a ho-hum show. I got chills watching Remember.

Bytebear
06-26-2009, 07:51 PM
I also have seen the new show twice, and not seen Dumbo. I guess they are still working out the kinks.

Lukeed
06-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Dumbo was out and working last Sunday, 6/20

Princess Jasmine
06-26-2009, 08:47 PM
The gods have been angered by all the celebrating.

CookieBandit
06-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Dumbo was in the fireworks show tonight (Saturday) - I was sitting by Rivers of America, so I couldn't really see but I definitely saw him.

dznyphreak
06-26-2009, 11:40 PM

:D Can't wait for fall when "Remember..." comes back. Here's hoping they're telling the truth!

tHeDiSnEyKiD
06-26-2009, 11:57 PM
:D Can't wait for fall when "Remember..." comes back. Here's hoping they're telling the truth!

I second that. The new show is pretty bad. I guarantee it won't last. The show tries to do so much thematically that it ends up with mangled messages and forced visuals that I don't care to see. Where is the feeling in the show? I don't feel anything when I watch it and I know I'm not alone as I don't know anyone that actually likes it.

Plus with the Dumbo stuff, you can already see what a mess it is. Maybe they can salvage it somehow, but they already lost me. I was hopeful when I first heard about the show and its whole Magical theme and message, but without substance, it falls flat on every level.

Oh well, at least Fantasmic is still the best. And hopefully with Captain EO coming back, Disney can still have their mojo going.

Tisha
06-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Thank you! I was there on June 22 for my birthday and thought I had somehow missed him.

cstephens
06-27-2009, 08:06 AM
On the days when Dumbo didn't fly, did Tink fly?

Tisha
06-27-2009, 08:16 AM
On the days when Dumbo didn't fly, did Tink fly?

No, not on Monday.

adriennek
06-27-2009, 08:28 AM

10 points for Princess Jasmine. Great answer. :)

Adrienne

ryanvalle
06-27-2009, 08:37 AM
I heard that dumbo is a rare sight due to weather. Even though the winds aren't strong enough to cancel fireworks, I hear that the slightest winds can cause Dumbo to really fly out of control...

Tisha
06-27-2009, 08:43 AM
I heard that dumbo is a rare sight due to weather. Even though the winds aren't strong enough to cancel fireworks, I hear that the slightest winds can cause Dumbo to really fly out of control...

Well that's just pathetic. They should have made Dumbo a little more hardy. That whole sequence does not work without him.

And then why is Tinkerbell not going either?

D1Prnzs
06-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Tinkerbell went down the zip line the two times I saw the show and Dumbo was MIA.

jMom
06-27-2009, 10:37 AM

You rock!

Tink Collector
06-27-2009, 02:16 PM
I was there on the 25th. After watching the video here I could not wait to see Dumbo. Dumbo did not fly. I was really disappointed. However, Tink did fly. The Cinderella part of the fireworks worked well. The last fireworks show (Remember?) was fantastic, more like a Broadway production. My hopes were high that this one would compare, but the length of the show and the lack of Dumbo was a disappointment. :(

cstephens
06-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Both Tink and Dumbo flew tonight.

Pookie
06-28-2009, 08:21 AM
On 6/22 we were in the Parks to watch the fireworks and they kept annoucing that due to high winds the fireworks may be cancelled. The fireworks finally went off but no Tink or Dumbo which was disappointing since my niece really wanted to see Tink. If it's due to weather I can understand, but I really wanted to see Dumbo up close. We only got to see him fly from the conceirge lounge.

Wendi
06-28-2009, 10:07 AM
We saw him the week of June 15th. I think the cute little elephant was really the only redeeming quality of the whole show. I didn't know I was in the majority. I sorely missed the "feeling" of every other Disney fireworks show... especially Remember...

TowerofTerror
06-28-2009, 11:36 AM
WHys it seem that keep having problems with the shows they have adverstise for the summer. Fantasmic without the dragon and fireworks shows sometimes without the dumbo or tinkbell showing up. Im sure theys been a lot of unhappy people that came to see this things.

angcould
06-28-2009, 04:40 PM
From what I gather having Dumbo fly depends on how windy it is, Disney
is powerful in many ways, but I don't beleive they can control the wind...

Perhaps they should have thought thru different ideas for those occasions
before launching the new Fireworks but in truth I can't fault them for trying
to make a new and more creative show.... If nothing else this summer with
its many "concerns" with both shows may learn alot and create even better
and more exciting ones in the future, I have to give them credit for trying to
make more exciting shows....

BlkPearlCptn
06-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Dumbo flew last night (June 27). It really was wonderful to watch, but I was concerned if we would see him when a slight breeze started up just before the show.

Heaven Is Disneyland
06-29-2009, 07:32 AM

Well, maybe the Gods have quited down and are feeling better because this past Saturday, we were there to see Magical and we saw Dumbo! I got all choked up, I have sung Baby Mine to my daughter since she was a newborn and when Dumbo flew across the sky, it was precious to see my daughter's reaction and see her excitement.

I liked the show, we had a great time!

Kuzcofan
06-29-2009, 10:17 AM
We were there yesterday (Sunday 6/28) and Dumbo and Timkerbell flew. How come Mary Poppins Doesn't fly? They have a whole segment for it, she really needs to be there.

Heaven Is Disneyland
06-29-2009, 10:55 AM
What a cute idea, that would be neat to see!