PDA

View Full Version : Thank goodness that the rides are getting the attention they need!

Disneyfreak
01-06-2003, 03:52 PM
In many ways I am happy with all of the closures right now. I like how finally they are taking care of the rides which have been way overdue for refurbs. The problem is that they dont schedule the refurbs well. It seems that many rides will get the attention they need this year. I would say by the 50th Disneylands rides will be spotless. Even though im mad about them butchering matterhorn.:crying:
Hopefully they are doing a great job. But the main thing I see wrong about matterhorn is that the top needs to be painted white again. The paint has faded and hopefully they will paint the darn thing. Do you guys know how often they paint matterhorns snow? Because im only 16 and I dont remember the last time they painted the thing.:rolleyes:
Also Indy im REALLY GLAD they are refurbing that. The only problem is that its only going to be down for a month which is stupid because they have never had a refurb on it since the opening! I think that ride needs a good 3 months.

What do you guys think they are going to change on all of the rufurbs?

RStar
01-06-2003, 04:08 PM
I'm with you, I'm glad it's getting done. The problem is that they got so far behind, and with the holiday versions going out, and the once every ten year or so draining of the ROA, it's all bunched together. If they spread it out more, they would push back some of them by years and then when they did go down they would need so much more work.

The last time they painted the Matterhorn snow was 3 or 5 years ago, I think. And then it was a long time before that. It's really hard to do and costly. So, I don't know if they will even do it this time around. I'm sure they are over budget now...

Disneyfreak
01-06-2003, 04:14 PM
That really makes me sad then, because if Walt were still alive he would spend that extra bit of money to make it the best looking he could of got it. The thing is that they use crappy paint and it wears off in a few years! If only they would spend more money it would last a few more years.:crying:

avromark
01-07-2003, 08:24 AM
Disneyfreak or for more authentication they could import some snow from antartica and have real snow on the matterhorn :) Well if they're not gonna bring the parks up to Walt's Standards what justification do we have for the added park admissions. By the next summer not this, what do you think the state of the parks will be?

tabacco
01-07-2003, 11:41 AM
Trust me, the paint they're using is in no way inferior. It's seriously tough weatherproof enamel. It's just that they aren't (or at least weren't) repainting as often as they should have. Even the toughest paint can fade eventually.

Disneyfreak
01-07-2003, 01:23 PM
A while back the park used to be painted with Lead paint which was almost invincible. If you look at the railings and some of the old rides paint, it is still some of the original lead paint. The only way to get it off would be to scrape it off. The reason they stopped using this paint was because it was bad for the environment. They should use Duponts paint for the matterhorn.
They are the best company for paint.

tabacco
01-07-2003, 07:11 PM
Well, that's hardly Disney's fault, since Lead-based paint is illegal.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
01-07-2003, 08:46 PM
You know the reason Walt Disney bulit the Matterhorn in his Disneyland was because he loved the real one so much in Swizterland he made one here. Sort of similar to how DCA was designed at a conference on napkins. An excutive whim. I bet if Walt really thought about why ... he might have had second thoughts. It takes up a lot of space.

If the Matterhorn were bulit today as a new attraction it would be blasted as jerky, smelly, slow, and unsafe. Oh and to say nothing of theme ... the Matterhorn used to be in Tommorrowland - now it's in Fantasyland. It has nothing to do with any of the other rides and is just there. If you've noticed there are no other Matterhorns - it is an Anaheim Disneyland exclusive!

So what do you do if you're in charge of this beast?

Can't really tear it down as it's near classification as an historical landmark and the outcry would be tremendous from your customers.

I guess just keep fixing it as they are.

stitcher
01-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Also Indy im REALLY GLAD they are refurbing that. The only problem is that its only going to be down for a month which is stupid because they have never had a refurb on it since the opening! I think that ride needs a good 3 months.

What makes you think it won't become another Matterhorn or Carousel

tabacco
01-08-2003, 12:08 AM
I never thought the Matterhorn was smelly...

RStar
01-08-2003, 08:58 AM
At least not like the old carpet in the HM:eek: .....

MonorailMan
01-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by RStar

Especally on a rainy day....

Lashbear
01-08-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by RStar

Isn't that part of the theming?? I heard from a friend of a friend's hairdresser's lover who slept with someone who has a friend who knows someone who works there, that Disney buys "Smelly Carpet Juice" and sprinkles it in the foyer / strech-rooms / load area each night....

Cheers, mansioneers
Rob :~D

DisneyGuy03
01-08-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
Isn't that part of the theming?? I heard from a friend of a friend's hairdresser's lover who slept with someone who has a friend who knows someone who works there, that Disney buys "Smelly Carpet Juice" and sprinkles it in the foyer / strech-rooms / load area each night....

Cheers, mansioneers
Rob :~D
ROFLOL, thanks for the laugh.