PDA

View Full Version : When did Soarin' change?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MrsGrumpy
06-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I finally went back to DCA last month, after about 7 years. (We had been to Disneyland more recently, but never got hoppers for DCA).

I remember Soarin' differently.

There used to be a beach volleyball scene, (That my nephew's ex-girlfriend was in) and I thought we flew over Disneyland during the day. I also don't remember seeing the golf scene.

When did they change it? And why?

fairestoneofall
06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh my goodenss, that golf scene has been in there as long as I can remeber. Also, I don't remember a beach volleyball scene??? Then again I was living out of CA for a few years and we only came to DCA once in that time....

MrsGrumpy
06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Maybe I am mistaken on not remembering golf :confused:...but there was definitely a volleyball scene on the beach in Southern California. :)

MammaSilva
06-23-2009, 03:04 PM
The golf scene has been there since the beginning but I don't remember a beach volleyball scene...that means nothing in the grand scheme but I'm sure someone else will chime in with their memories

cstephens
06-23-2009, 03:36 PM
No beach volleyball scene that I can think of.

The golf scene has always been there - that's where the hidden Mickey is.

fairestoneofall
06-23-2009, 03:38 PM
The golf scene has always been there - that's where the hidden Mickey is.

Ohh...thanks. I'll look for it! Just got into Hidden Mickeys....but not serious about them.........YET!

Bytebear
06-23-2009, 03:40 PM
No volleyball scene. It's the same as it was when it opened. I think you have it mixed up with another attraction, Circle Vision, perhaps?

MrsGrumpy
06-23-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't think I have it mixed up. I distinctly remember the volleyball scene, and just called my nephew, and he said that yes, his ex was an extra at the beach in the volleyball scene. I just googled it, and checked youtube, and came up with nothing. Does anyone remember Disneyland during the day, rather than at night?

Malcon10t
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Nope... Saw it right after it opened, and more times than MDM would like since, and have never seen 1.) volleyball or 2.) Disneyland during daytime.

DizneyMommy
06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Me too, was on it within the first 2-3 days it opened and never had volleyball or DL in the daytime, only the Christmas night scene (which always cracks me up, they couldn't plan to shoot it when it wasn't Christmas? It seems silly in the summer)

cstephens
06-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Does anyone remember Disneyland during the day, rather than at night?

The only shot of Disneyland is at the end, during the Christmas parade at night, which dissolves into the fireworks.

pixar
06-23-2009, 05:59 PM
I've seen it many times, including around the time when it first opened. I never saw a volleyball scene, or Disneyland in the daytime.

candles71
06-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Ohh...thanks. I'll look for it! Just got into Hidden Mickeys....but not serious about them.........YET!

Look fast cause its on the golf ball itself coming at you. We can't figure out how someone even found it.

kohl
06-23-2009, 06:26 PM
I've seen it many times, including around the time when it first opened. I never saw a volleyball scene, or Disneyland in the daytime.

Same with me.

MrsGrumpy
06-23-2009, 08:44 PM
This is driving me crazy. I hope someone will remember. I wonder if a longer version only ran for a really short time and was edited? I've googled several words relating to volleyball and Soarin'. I have come up with nothing.

I also don't remember the smells. Are they newer, or have they been there from the start?

DisneyFunFamily4
06-23-2009, 09:01 PM
MrsG, I think this proves 3 things... 1) you should definitely get your eye's checked, I know you have an appointment in August. 2) You've been spending too much time snuggling up with that barrel of Rum. And 3) most importantly you really need to spend more time at DL...

cstephens
06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
This is driving me crazy. I hope someone will remember. I wonder if a longer version only ran for a really short time and was edited? I've googled several words relating to volleyball and Soarin'. I have come up with nothing.

I also don't remember the smells. Are they newer, or have they been there from the start?

We went on Soarin' during AP previews, before the park officially opened, and the film hasn't changed.

The smells have been there since the beginning as well.

KarenW2
06-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Our first experience with Soarin' was at the special event preview 1-19-01 and the film was the same then as it is now. No beach scene, Disneyland was the nighttime Christmas scene and the orange, ocean and pine scents were in there from the beginning.

Also, I believe the film is the same in WDW as it is in DCA.

stan4d_steph
06-24-2009, 05:01 AM
It's quite possible they filmed a volleyball scene that was never used. However, the ride has not changed since it was opened, as others have said above.

Hannahbelle
06-24-2009, 07:48 AM
No beach scene, no daytime Main St., and yes smells have always been there. I ride that ride every trip we take and have rode it since the park opened....I can agree with everyone too. --sorry
Yeah, I wonder also if the beach scene was filmed but not used? weird.

petesimac
06-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Look fast cause its on the golf ball itself coming at you. We can't figure out how someone even found it.

And it's the only scene I don't like, but that's because the ball was "hit" by Michael Eisner...yuck.

cstephens
06-24-2009, 09:58 AM
And it's the only scene I don't like, but that's because the ball was "hit" by Michael Eisner...yuck.

I just prefer to enjoy the attraction rather than holding old grudges against people who did a lot to help save the company. But, then, that's just me.

tamagaal
06-24-2009, 01:21 PM
My DH and I worked at DCA when Soarin' opened and the attraction is exactly the same now as it was back then...

A beach volleyball scene would have been very fitting though :)

Malcon10t
06-24-2009, 02:12 PM
I also don't remember the smells. Are they newer, or have they been there from the start?The smells have been there from day 1. My question; could you be confusing this with something else???

CariBelle
06-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Also, I believe the film is the same in WDW as it is in DCA.

Yup!