PDA

View Full Version : Magic Shop closing? [Updated with new info]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

tod
06-22-2009, 06:10 AM
I've read that the Main Street Magic Shop may be closing.

If this is true, another link to the original Disneyland will be lost. It's bad enough that they closed down the Fantasyland Magic Shop in the '80s. My interest is partially selfish (they had the best prices on magic paraphernalia ANYWHERE) but it was always a good place to spend a few minutes watching a trick or looking at the wall of gags.

I'm going to miss it.

--t

trypticon
06-22-2009, 06:41 AM
It will be sad to see it go, but I can also understand why it would be closed up, as any respectable magician should know just about everything in the shop already. Polished magicians aren't the main clients of the shop, I'm sure, but I'd also suspect that they bring a lot of people into the shop to see what's going on there.

The last few times I went in there, I was disappointed with what little the shop had to offer. This is the Disneyland, a place for magic, and the magic being sold at the shop, unless there's more that they aren't displaying, just isn't too great.

But I also have good memories about the establishment, too. When I was younger, a friend and I walked into the shop near closing time, and an unknown magician showed us some very nice slight of hand with a few coins. Earlier in the trip, my friend and I had been in Las Vegas for a week, and had gone to see a magic show there. I'd always been interested in the art of manipulation, but it wasn't until seeing the show in Vegas, and getting a personal performance in the magic shop at Disneyland, that my interest was driven enough to seriously study it.

After that, I went on to develop my skills over the years, and at my peak, I was considered by many local magicians to be among the best that they'd seen. While the interest iddn't last long after I met my future ex-wife, it did push me through the years to learn some very good techniques and routines. And I owe it in large part to that single night at the Magic shop in Main Street.

codewoman
06-22-2009, 07:23 AM
My sons both make certain to go to the Magic Shop every trip to Disneyland! We'll be very sorry if it goes.

AVP
06-22-2009, 07:56 AM
I've read that the Main Street Magic Shop may be closing.I've heard the same rumors, but I was trying to get some more definite information before writing about it.

I've heard different explainations for the closure, mostly variations on "we need to find a new vendor for magic tricks." What I know for sure: earlier this year, Disneyland sent a LOT of their magic trick inventory to Company D and the AMS outlet stores. The timing of this makes me think that it had something to do with the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act that was supposed to take effect on February 10, 2009, but was granted a one-year extention at the last minute. Under CPSIA, products intended for use by children under 12 have to meet new standards for lead and phthalates, but there is a massive amount of confusion, conflict and controvery over the testing and labeling standards.

Before the extention was issued, retailers who had product on their shelves from vendors that would or could not issue certification that this already-manufactured product was in compliance faced a situation where they could not sell that product after February 10th. (This should give some context to all of those way-better-than-usual after Christmas sales at the big toy stores this year.)

IF, and I don't know if this was the case, Disney's magic trick vendor was unable to provide CPSIA certification for their products, I could see Disney pulling it all from the shelves in preparation for the original deadline, and sending it to liquidation. (Second-hand retailers do not currently have to meet the same CPSIA standard, so AMS could probably sell the product beyond the time Disney could.)

IF, and I don't know if this was the case, Disney's magic trick vendor has said that they don't intend to provide CPSIA certification for their future production, they Disney may indeed be looking for a new supplier who will. The problem in, CPSIA only applies to products intended for use by children under 12, and a bunch of manufacturers have decided to avoid the costly (in many cases, cost prohibitive) testing required for compliance by adding labels to their packaging that says "this item is not a toy, and is not for use by children under 12." The Consumer Products Safety Commission is taking a dim view on that practice, and I would not want to be the retailer stuck in the middle of that argument.

So, without having an inside story on what's REALLY going on at Disneyland (and I am trying to get more info), this is what I suspect may be going on.

AVP

TikiGeek
06-22-2009, 08:14 AM
I'll be sad to see it close - for a number of reasons. I won't be all that surprised - I don't think it's a real big revenue generator. They could put something into that space that could make more money - I think that's mostly what Disney cares about.

ShirleyFilms
06-22-2009, 08:53 AM
So, without having an inside story on what's REALLY going on at Disneyland (and I am trying to get more info), this is what I suspect may be going on.

AVP

I will be very interested to hear what you find out.

I love the Magic Store. I hope it does not disappear. :crying:

Sesameguy
06-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Is the magic store currently open on Main Street? They haven't closed it already? Maybe some of the SoCal people will get the chance to get in there and take some photos before it (possibly) is gone.

As those of you who enjoyed the "50th Anniversary" short film know, comedian Steve Martin actually worked at the magic store for a time. So we'll be losing a bit of his history as well if we lose the magic store.

Sesameguy
06-22-2009, 09:14 AM
They could put something into that space that could make more money - I think that's mostly what Disney cares about.

Sad but true. With any luck though, it would probably be something worthwhile and, I hope, affordable.

olegc
06-22-2009, 09:50 AM
i read somewhere the last day for the Magic store to be open is this Friday - June 26th. Ugh!

If it's closed for very long - I could see Disney management make it into something else. I hope, though, it does not just become an extension of the Showcase - or a Plush store. If they follow the idea of Fortuosity (making a unique item location) that would be a good thing.

Overall, though, the marquee siteline of Main Street will be forever different - and just 4 years after they created that whole set for Steve Martin's 50th.

Crossing my fingers it stays!

zombie pirate
06-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Sad news, another great part of Disneyland will be gone.

disneylandgirl
06-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Very sad. I never went in there much, but once in awhile, when I would walk Main St., it was kind of one of those places that "made" Disneyland. You can't find that anywhere else, only in Disneyland. :crying:

ShirleyFilms
06-22-2009, 12:37 PM
It's probably too early for a letter-writing campaign to save the Magic Shop (since we don't know all the facts), but ...

Where would one send a letter? If one wanted to put in a good word for the Magic Shop? :)

HopeTrust N PixieDust
06-22-2009, 12:48 PM
I've never shopped or witnessed a magic trick at the Magic Shop but I loved how it added to the charm of Main Street. It's going to suck to lose it. :(

zombie pirate
06-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Things I bought as a kid from the magic shop

Garlic gum, made my dad angry
plastic ice cube with bug in it, sister wanted to beat me up
set of handcuffs

just think of all the family fun that came out of there, its allways been my favorite shop at Disneyland.

The old man
06-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Saturday I was told by the trainer for the shop that they were closing--he was being moved to the clothing shop. I'm sure the reason is that the store wasn't making enough money. Now we'll have another shop to buy Disney pens and Mickey shaped necklaces at. Thank goodness I won't have to walk across the street to buy them.

danyoung
06-23-2009, 07:13 AM
The old man, your reasoning is wrong. All info currently says that the shop will re-open later in the summer with a new supplier.

My first thought upon reading the news on another site was "Oh no - another original Disneyland shop closed down!" But then after looking at the pictures they posted of the interior, I realized I hadn't been in there for probably 30 years or more. I guess it's just like when they first tried to close down Lincoln, and all the fans said "just because we don't go there regularly doesn't mean we want you to close it!"

olegc
06-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Things I bought as a kid from the magic shop

Garlic gum, made my dad angry
plastic ice cube with bug in it, sister wanted to beat me up
set of handcuffs

just think of all the family fun that came out of there, its allways been my favorite shop at Disneyland.

funny - many of the GAG gifts from our youth are no longer sold there (except for woopie cushions) I was in there yesterday and that was all I saw (unless my teary eyes blocked my vision, sniff sniff :eyeroll:)

The old man
06-23-2009, 08:28 AM
The old man, your reasoning is wrong. All info currently says that the shop will re-open later in the summer with a new supplier.

There was no reasoning. I was only reporting what I was told my a senior CM. As we know they are often founts of misinformation--and in this case I'm glad to hear it.

magicmanfrank
06-23-2009, 01:23 PM
As those of you who enjoyed the "50th Anniversary" short film know, comedian Steve Martin actually worked at the magic store for a time.

Just to clarify, it was the Magic Shop in Fantasyland called "MERLIN'S MAGIC SHOP" that Steve Martin Worked at, NOT the Magic Shop on Main Street.

tod
06-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Just to clarify, it was the Magic Shop in Fantasyland called "MERLIN'S MAGIC SHOP" that Steve Martin Worked at, NOT the Magic Shop on Main Street.

I think you're right about Steve Martin working at Merlin's -- in fact, I remember buying a trick there and it may have been from him, my memory is kinda hazy on that -- but the 50th anniversary film had a picture of him performing at the Main Street Magic Shop.

--t

dznyphreak
06-23-2009, 01:55 PM
For those of us who are babies by Disneyland standards, where was Merlin's located? Considering my first solid memories of Disneyland start in '99/'00...

Malcon10t
06-23-2009, 01:56 PM
but the 50th anniversary film had a picture of him performing at the Main Street Magic Shop.

--tPossibly because Merlin's doesn't exist anymore?

It was located on the backside of the castle, by the Carousel. Trying to remember what is there now...

Wasn't there also a Magic Shop at the DLH?

Escape Artist would spend every dime he had at these shops....

tod
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Possibly because Merlin's doesn't exist anymore?

No, silly, it was an old picture. He was in costume and looked 20, tops.

Merlin's Magic Shop was located in the Castle courtyard, to the right, between the "secret passageway" to Tomorrowland and Peter Pan's Flight. There was a circular staircase on the right that led to a small elevated performance space in the "back" of the shop.

I don't know what's in there now, but it was made to be a magic store. That was the perfect use for the space.

--t

AVP
06-23-2009, 03:57 PM
I don't know what's in there now, but it was made to be a magic store. That was the perfect use for the space.As any MouseAdventurer could probably tell you, it's most recently the Castle Heraldry Shop.

AVP

Malcon10t
06-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Merlin's Magic Shop was located in the Castle courtyard, to the right, between the "secret passageway" to Tomorrowland and Peter Pan's Flight. There was a circular staircase on the right that led to a small elevated performance space in the "back" of the shop. I keep seeing it in my mind, but I keep thinking "No, Peter Pan is there...." But now that you described this, I see it much better! When did it close?

Never mind, 1983.