PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland full Monday night June 15 [updated with info re: Tuesday, June 16]

Pages : [1] 2

marioluna
06-15-2009, 08:08 PM
We just came back from Disneyland Resort Area . We have passes and the Anaheim Police Dept & Disneyland Security block off the entrance to the Parking Tower.
I was shocked it was MONDAY , not a weekend day.
Does anyone know why its so packed on a Monday????

Malcon10t
06-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Summer?

ryanvalle
06-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Summer is one reason.
Kids are off school.
Summer nightastic.
Birthday promo.
Monthly AP passes has brought in more poeple getting one.
3 days for $99.
Possibliity of the lower economy, higher unemployment makes it a perfect summer get away being that its not too far for many locals.

Add all those in and the fact that AP blackout season is about to start for most people, the attendance Today and possibly the next two days will be high

AVP
06-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know why its so packed on a Monday????It's a perfect storm - most AP blockout dates start Wednesday, those APs want to come see the new "Summer Nightastic" elements while they can, many schools are already out for the summer, the new $99 ticket is a huge hit...

Tomorrow is going to be just as bad. It should actually calm down a little Wednesday and Thursday, but all bets are off starting Friday.

AVP

Drince88
06-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Was the park full (i.e., restricting entry) or just the parking garage?

AVP
06-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Was the park full (i.e., restricting entry) or just the parking garage?Signs around the Resort said "Disneyland is Full, California Adventure is open."

Parking was diverted to Garden Walk. I didn't hear if anyone was actually denied entry to Disneyland (I don't know how full it was), but it was definitely unusual for a non-holiday June Monday.

AVP

adriennek
06-15-2009, 09:37 PM
And add to all of the above: The weather has been just lovely and comfortable for being outdoors - Overcast and unseasonably cool.

Adrienne

K & S
06-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Signs around the Resort said "Disneyland is Full, California Adventure is open."

Parking was diverted to Garden Walk. I didn't hear if anyone was actually denied entry to Disneyland (I don't know how full it was), but it was definitely unusual for a non-holiday June Monday.

AVP

A friend with a Deluxe AP went to get his Birthday Gift Card and couldn't get in to Disneyland. So he just got the Gift Card at Guest relations and went home.

I hope this isn't a sign of what summer will be like this year. The constant large crowds are having a very negative impact the enjoyment of my AP.

Nikara
06-16-2009, 12:41 AM
My sister and I switched from park to park several times during the day. They told everyone from the beginning that there were mandatory hand stamps, but other than that, I never had trouble getting into either park. Disneyland was certainly packed, and we were glad that we got most of the rides in early. They added another showing of Fantasmic at 11:30pm because it was so crowded. Crazy, but a great time!

Foodie
06-16-2009, 06:00 AM
Wow, I've been feeling sorry for myself because I won't be able to go to D-Land this year, but maybe it's not such a bad thing after all...!

olegc
06-16-2009, 07:39 AM
from several reports it seems this massive crowd explosion is just a perfect storm of the new Nightastic offerings and the last days of availability for cheaper Passholders to get in (blackouts start Wed). AVP pointed this out somewhere above. It will probably get better in a couple of weeks

but

as soon as the dragon hits - we will see some of this again. I find it interesting that so many people DID NOT know the dragon was down - and yet the post on the message boards of MP and other sites. If you're that connected to the internet and did not know the story - you're skimming too much.

Drince88
06-16-2009, 07:58 AM
you're skimming too much.
Or they're like me and avoid spoilers like the plague if I'm going to be going to see it soon.

dlfansx4
06-16-2009, 08:07 AM
We just came back from Disneyland Resort Area . We have passes and the Anaheim Police Dept & Disneyland Security block off the entrance to the Parking Tower.
I was shocked it was MONDAY , not a weekend day.
Does anyone know why its so packed on a Monday????

Wow, I would never have expected that. We were there Sunday (from opening until right after the fireworks) and found the crowds much lighter than we expected. Since my kids are still in school this week, Sunday was the only day we could take our nephews that were visiting from out of town. I prepared everyone for a very crowded park and we actually thought it was less crowded than a regular Sunday.

Maybe everyone was thinking, like I was, that it would be packed that day and they waited until Monday to go ;)

olegc
06-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Or they're like me and avoid spoilers like the plague if I'm going to be going to see it soon.

oh yeah, that would do it too...

AVP
06-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Today is the last day that SoCal Select passholders can use their passes until August 17th. SoCal passholders have today, and then June 21-26, before they are blocked out until August 16th. (Note for planning purposes: August 16th and 17th are gonna be busy...)

You can check the blockout calendar through March, 2010 at this page on our Web site: http://www.mouseplanet.com/misc.php?pg=blackout

AVP

Hannahbelle
06-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Wow, I'm kind of getting a little bummed out here. I plan my mini trips to DL on 3 day weekends due to my work schedule (And lack of vacation days) and really just grin and bear it with the crowds because I expect them on holiday weekends. BUT now I'm getting really worried that its gonna be overly crowded this year!! We went Presidents weekend and it was very crowded but we still had a great time, so I guess its what u make of it right? I guess we can eat off property if need be. I've heard busy crowd reports of people waiting 30 minutes just for a churro!
Wow, I bet the marketing team for Disney is getting a huge "pat on the back" this year! "Free on your birthday, So Cal discounts, Summer Nightastic, etc..." BRILLIANT! I think they're pretty smart!

Malcon10t
06-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Today is the last day that SoCal Select passholders can use their passes until August 17th. SoCal passholders have today, and then June 21-26, before they are blocked out until August 16th. (Note for planning purposes: August 16th and 17th are gonna be busy...)Well, as you can see by our trip counter, we will be there AUg 14-18... Guessing we will get to be there while it is BUSY!

spookykitten
06-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Could some of the large crowds this week be caused by all of the Grad Night events? I'm guessing a lot of the grads would try to spend the day at the parks as well as going for the event itself. This Friday is my husband's commencement for his B.S. degree and we were considering going to the parks since he has the day off from work, but now I'm kind of glad this Friday is blocked out for us since it'll probably be crazy. Hoping Sunday won't be too bad.

And I'm really glad that I decided to be lazy yesterday and not head over to the parks!

AVP
06-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I just got a report that the signs around the Resort are again warning that Disneyland is full, and that tram drivers are telling guests that they can only go to DCA. The same person reported back a few minutes later that they were allowed entry into Disneyland with their AP, so it sounds like they are trying to "encourage" people into DCA, but not actually restricting admission to Disneyland.

I haven't heard if Disneyland has stopped selling one-day tickets yet.

AVP

fairestoneofall
06-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Could some of the large crowds this week be caused by all of the Grad Night events? I'm guessing a lot of the grads would try to spend the day at the parks as well as going for the event itself. This Friday is my husband's commencement for his B.S. degree and we were considering going to the parks since he has the day off from work, but now I'm kind of glad this Friday is blocked out for us since it'll probably be crazy. Hoping Sunday won't be too bad.

And I'm really glad that I decided to be lazy yesterday and not head over to the parks!

It might be, but when I went to grad nite....Ohhh-so-long-ago....we HAD to ride the bus with our class. No bus, no grad nite. Things could change in 17 years though...;)

disney_leonard
06-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Could some of the large crowds this week be caused by all of the Grad Night events? I'm guessing a lot of the grads would try to spend the day at the parks as well as going for the event itself.

Unless things have changed in the last few years they don't allow that. Kids have to come with their schools and can only leave with the school groups.

houseofmouse
06-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Wowo! Guess AP'ers are really trying to see the new stuff before blackout starts.
We are going June 26th I hope it is not nuts.

fairestoneofall
06-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Wowo! Guess AP'ers are really trying to see the new stuff before blackout starts.
We are going June 26th I hope it is not nuts.

We're going the 26th too. I tried to make PS at Naples and they are sold out to one group for dinner....not sure if that means anything or not. I'm guessing BUSY for sure. Our main objective is ELP and Magical, anything else is just a bonus!!!

spookykitten
06-16-2009, 01:55 PM
It might be, but when I went to grad nite....Ohhh-so-long-ago....we HAD to ride the bus with our class. No bus, no grad nite. Things could change in 17 years though...;)

Unless things have changed in the last few years they don't allow that. Kids have to come with their schools and can only leave with the school groups.

Ah, I see. I didn't go to my Grad Nite, which was 7 years ago, so I don't remember what the rules were.

Anyone have any predictions for how busy Sunday might be?

fairestoneofall
06-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Ah, I see. I didn't go to my Grad Nite, which was 7 years ago, so I don't remember what the rules were.

Anyone have any predictions for how busy Sunday might be?

Not sure, but we'll be there to surprise DH with a Father's Day lunch at CRBBQ.