PDA

View Full Version : Plaza Gardens Stage

K & S
06-15-2009, 08:59 AM
I usually try to avoid DLR on weekends because its always very crowded and I can go on weekdays. However we found ourselves at Disneyland on a Saturday night recently and to get passed the fireworks crowd in the hub We happened to wander over to the Plaza Gardens Stage. My DH and I were captivated by the couples dancing to Big Band music. There are some great dancers there on weekends.

We saw young men dressed in Zoot Suits complete with long jackets and hats with feathers, dancing with them were young women dressed in the WWII era fashions with snoods and high heels.

Even more wonderful to watch were the older couples, some obviously in their seventies, dancing every dance and doing a good job of keeping up with the younger crowd. I can only hope my DH and I will find such joy in each other when we’re that age.

A CM told us that many of the couples come every weekend just to dance.

It was a delight to watch.

:)

Escape2Disney
06-15-2009, 09:16 AM
We saw this on our trip in August! My youngest daughter LOVES Big-Band music, so we sat there for an hour and a half watching the dancers and listening to the music. It was an unexpected pleasure!

oregontraveler
06-15-2009, 10:07 AM
One of the many 'hidden' treasures at Disneyland, with a rich history as well.
I'm glad you enjoyed the music and dancers.

mswong40
06-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Its so nice to sit and watch them dance......I too saw the diversity of the couples and found it wonderful!! My fiance and I sat and watched them dance for about an 1 hr. I also saw some of them dressed up, it really is a magical place!!!

danyoung
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Southern California has quite a good roster of big band musicians. Some, like my uncle and cousin, play for multiple bands. I've heard some great big band at the Gardens over the years, and look forward to catching some in a couple of weeks!

MadasaHatter
06-15-2009, 09:41 PM
My Aunt Donna and Uncle Jack introduced me to Disneyland. They might have had the first APs ever! My uncle was a recovered alcoholic and they used to go dancing all the time. When he quit drinking they would go to Disneyland EVERY Saturday night and dance. Reading these discussion boards and listening to you So Cal folk reminds me of my Aunt and Uncle. They would go to the park early and walk around and have dinner and then dance the night away. She said there were some REALLY big names back then. This would probably have been the late 60s and early 70s I am guessing. I used to really be into that scene up here in SF and once my Dad and I were visiting on a Saturday and I couldn't just watch and asked a girl to dance. We really cut a rug. I love Disneyland.

Jeffreaky
06-15-2009, 11:18 PM
that's great!

Malcon10t
06-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Anyone have a current list of the times the bands will play?

HopeTrust N PixieDust
06-22-2009, 12:59 PM
I know the Saturday nights is when they play/dance. A decade ago it was Friday and Saturday but lately I've only seen it on Saturdays from 7-10pm.

Sitting there watching the dancers and listening to the bands is one of our favorite things to do after a long day of park hopping. I especially love it on chilly nights because we grab a coffee and share a cookie and just take in the show. It definitely is a hidden gem (and a great area to view semi-obstructed castle fireworks from!)

Malcon10t
06-22-2009, 01:33 PM
It looks like the bands play at 7, 8, 9, and 1015. Usually, I think it is a 45min set. Looks like July 11th, it will be Stompy Jones!! Youngest really likes them.

K & S
06-22-2009, 02:43 PM
I know the Saturday nights is when they play/dance. A decade ago it was Friday and Saturday but lately I've only seen it on Saturdays from 7-10pm.

Sitting there watching the dancers and listening to the bands is one of our favorite things to do after a long day of park hopping. I especially love it on chilly nights because we grab a coffee and share a cookie and just take in the show. It definitely is a hidden gem (and a great area to view semi-obstructed castle fireworks from!)

Thanks for the info.

If it's only on Saturday nights I better upgrade DH to a Premium AP.

oregontraveler
06-22-2009, 06:59 PM
What hasn't been mentioned are the school acts that perform during the afternoon. And the All-American College Band starts off with a 2pm Big Band set when they are there. Not listed in the online schedule, but the
weekly flyers have that info. I've looked up thru July 24th and it is Saturday nights only.

ScottC4746
06-23-2009, 04:33 AM
One of my favorite places to poop out is this historical site. Also in the afternoons you might find high school orchestras and choirs performing. Excellent quality. Sadly, the ice cream place there is gone so it is just an entertainment venue.

codewoman
06-23-2009, 12:06 PM
I used to really be into that scene up here in SF and once my Dad and I were visiting on a Saturday and I couldn't just watch and asked a girl to dance. We really cut a rug. I love Disneyland.

How did you know she could dance? I have a hard time listening to Big Band Music if I can't dance to it. I have sat and watched, but it is just torture!

TowerofTerror
06-24-2009, 12:18 PM
what a beautiful stage and awesome place to watch people dance on Saturday nights.

Bytebear
06-24-2009, 03:01 PM
I just wish they would reintroduce the soda and ice cream stand to the area. They have room, and it would be great to sit on a stool at the counter and have the music behind you as you sip on a milkshake.