PDA

View Full Version : Tips on my trip?

SpookyTeddy
01-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Hey people. What an awesome website this is! I'm glad I found it! I am planning to go to Disneyland and California adventure around FEB 11-15th (2003). I've been doing the research (mostly from my past experience of going 2 yrs ago and this awesome website) But I have a couple of question and figure people could help me out? First off, I'm curious (very curious) to know if they will still be selling Nightmare Before Christmas Merchandise when I am there? Also, will the large inflatable Stitch be in Down town Disney? I'm also looking for info on two things: There was a review of downtown Disney on this site (can't find it) and it talked about a mini robot clock. anyone know how much these run for? Also when I was there Liquid Planet had these cute plush Sharks complete with surf board. Anyone know if they are still there? And finally, and reviews of retraunts outside but near the Disneyland Park (I noticed only one in the review section.) I'll think of more stuff and add to this soon thanks!

julia
01-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Hi!

Disney always has so much great stuff that it is always changing! Check on a Disneyland Resort Magical Pocket Guide or one of the guides that are available at Guest Relations - you can also ask at Guest Relations if you want.

You might want to check at the World of Disney store in Downtown Disney for the items that you mentioned. If Disney makes it, or if it exists officially, your best chance to find it is at the World of Disney store. I lose hours at World of Disney each time I go....

Have a great trip!
Julia

SpookyTeddy
01-05-2003, 04:12 PM
thanks, I'll remember that. I also have another question: Is it possible to tour the Disney Studios? I'm an animator and would love any information on anything that would involove Disney Animation. Any speical tours? I know about the animation exhibit and store at Calfornia Adventure.

julia
01-05-2003, 04:34 PM
The Disney Studios are actually Buena Vista Television (I think) , and they are located in Burbank. Burbank is obviously in the Los Angeles area, but it is northwest of Anaheim, near the San Fernando Valley, Hollywood Hills, Beverly Hills, etc. I don't drive when I am in Southern California, but check on one of the online map engines and they can give you a rough idea of the distance. You might look at Universal Studios, because I know they have tours of those studios - I am not certain about Buena Vista Television b ecause security was increased due a possible terrorist threat after September 11.

The animation at California Adventure is really fun. Lots of the old equipment that Walt Disney and Roy Disney used in the early days, a great history of animation at Disney, a really interesting video biography of Walt Disney. There is even a section in this attraction that allows you to take a brief quiz and get your picture taken and it tells you which Disney character you most resemble in personality and appearance. The lines are long, but it is worth the short wait.

Have a great trip!

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
01-05-2003, 04:51 PM
The large stitch was moved from amc next to world of disney and he had a santa hat.

He was looking pretty bad thou - kinda limped over

Yesterday when I was the resort he was gone.

SpookyTeddy
01-05-2003, 04:53 PM
too bad about the no tours and the limp stitch. Anyone know how long Nightmare Before Christmas will be at DL?

tod
01-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by julia
The Disney Studios are actually Buena Vista Television (I think) , and they are located in Burbank.

No and yes. Buena Vista Television is part of The Walt Disney Company, but there's a lot more to it than that at The Studio, which even rents its soundstages out to other production companies. Check here (http://disney.go.com/studiooperations/index.html) for more detail than you can possibly use unless you become a producer.

Burbank is obviously in the Los Angeles area, but it is northwest of Anaheim, near the San Fernando Valley, Hollywood Hills, Beverly Hills, etc. I don't drive when I am in Southern California, but check on one of the online map engines and they can give you a rough idea of the distance.

It's at 500 South Buena Vista -- take the 5 north from Disneyland about 40 miles to the 134 West. Get off at Buena Vista, about the third off-ramp. The off-ramp will feed you straight onto Buena Vista. The Studio is on your right.

There are no tours for the public, but you can see the Team Disney buliding on Alameda (make a right at the far end of the studio, and pull over after the Studio entrance with the archway) with the Seven Dwarfs on the front. Also you can circle the Studio and see the (Feature) Animation Building with the Sorcerer Hat on the front.

You might look at Universal Studios, because I know they have tours of those studios - I am not certain about Buena Vista Television b ecause security was increased due a possible terrorist threat after September 11.

Excellent idea. Universal is actually set up to provide tours. You may also want to see if Warner Bros. still has their Studio tours, which were the best in town. Call them at 818 972-8687 or the main WB switchboard at 818 954-5000 and see.

Both Warner Bros. and Universal are quite close to Disney, as is NBC if you want to catch a TV show.

The animation at California Adventure is really fun. Lots of the old equipment that Walt Disney and Roy Disney used in the early days, a great history of animation at Disney, a really interesting video biography of Walt Disney. There is even a section in this attraction that allows you to take a brief quiz and get your picture taken and it tells you which Disney character you most resemble in personality and appearance. The lines are long, but it is worth the short wait.

Agreed.

Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

--T

ldsguy
01-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Anyone know how long Nightmare Before Christmas will be at DL?
Ahh, today is the last dfay for the Haunted Mansion Holiday attraction until October, but if you really want the merchandise I would suggest the outlet store on Harbor Blvd. From Mickey and Firends Parkign Structure: Make a right on Ball Rd. then make a Left on Harbor Blvd. it is near Michael's on your right hand side, from the Timon lot, just make a left on Harbor Blvd.

Unless they moved the store again of course and if that's the case, I am sure that someone that knows more than me about it will correct it.

HBTiggerFan
01-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Mimis Cafe is across the street (across Harbor) it is about a 5-7 minute walk from the gates of DL or DCA. The food is excellent and reasonable prices, and the service is great. I actually consider it extremely cheap for the quality and quanatity of the food on the DLR property.

Stay away from the Dennys and IHOP that are across the street, as they are always packed, the service is bad and the food is horrible!

There is also a Cocos Cafe and Bakery located quick driving distance at the corner of Katella and DL Drive. I have never been to this one, but all other Cocos are great!

Mimis website is www.mimiscafe.com There is a menu there, the menu on the site is the same in the restruants.

cemeinke
01-06-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by SpookyTeddy
too bad about the no tours and the limp stitch. Anyone know how long Nightmare Before Christmas will be at DL?

While the ttraction overlay is now down, there's a shop in New Orleans Square called Le Bat en Rouge that stocks villain and Nightmare merchandise, while we should see more varied villain stuff move in, I'm sure Disney will continue to make it's lucrative Nightmare merchandise available.

CarlieB
01-06-2003, 10:48 AM
Hi:-)

When I was in the Resort last August there was a lot of Nightmare stuff still available - both on a merchandise cart outside the Mansion and inside one of the stores in NO Square (probably the store which is now called Le Bat en Rouge). Some of the stuff was really cute - I nearly got one of the Mayor stuffed toys (really regretting not getting him now...)
Hope that helps...