PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland apartment [in former Disney Gallery space]

Pages : [1] 2

fantasmicgallery
06-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Has anyone out there ever been one of the priviledged ones to stay in the new apartment above POTC? I wish it was still the gallery because it gave a whole new meaning to preferred seating!! When it first opened they would choose someone from in the park each day to stay in the apartment and I think they also got to be parade marshall that evening. Are they still doing this or is the place able to be booked, or what? Anybody know?

Malcon10t
06-11-2009, 12:06 PM
They did this during the Year of a Million Dreams (that lasted 2 years.) Now, it is used more as Lassiter's apartment when he is in town.

fantasmicgallery
06-11-2009, 01:57 PM
So it sits there empty most of the time? Great idea (sarcasm). If they had left it alone, they could still have PS and be making money! The last time we did the PS on the gallery it cost around $70 - times maybe 15 people each seating with 2 seatings a night! What a loss - for them and us!

TowerofTerror
06-11-2009, 02:30 PM
why dont they still use that dream suite. they could rent it out to guest

jkweitzel
06-11-2009, 03:48 PM
They did this during the Year of a Million Dreams (that lasted 2 years.) Now, it is used more as Lassiter's apartment when he is in town.

Who is Lassiter?

oregontraveler
06-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Who is Lassiter?

John Lasseter, chief pooh-bah for Disney Imagineering, (in charge of designing Disney Attractions.) Also the head of Pixar Animation, he was the
inspiration for Buzz Lightyear's look.

jkweitzel
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
John Lasseter, chief pooh-bah for Disney Imagineering, (in charge of designing Disney Attractions.) Also the head of Pixar Animation, he was the
inspiration for Buzz Lightyear's look.

Haha oh Buzz. I see, well thank you for telling me. Now that I know, I feel foolish for asking! Is Lasseter also the name of a character on the TV show PSYCH?

fantasmicgallery
06-11-2009, 04:21 PM
why dont they still use that dream suite. they could rent it out to guest

That's what I was hoping for! If I can't win a night, would pay for one. Then I could watch F! twice from the balcony!! That was always my favorite spot to watch from!

ryanvalle
06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
I didn't know Lassiter also worked within Imagineering. I thought he just worked closely with them when designing all the new pixar related attractions...

dznyphreak
06-11-2009, 05:55 PM
I didn't know Lassiter also worked within Imagineering. I thought he just worked closely with them when designing all the new pixar related attractions...

Lasseter is the Chief Creative Officer at Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios and Principal Creative Advisor for Walt Disney Imagineering.

According to Wikipedia, he reports directly to Bob Iger, bypassing Disney's studio and theme parks executives. He also received green-light power on films with Roy E. Disney's consent.

I got the feeling from my class this year taught by Bruce Vaughn (Chief Creative Executive of WDI) that getting Lasseter's "blessing" on an attraction is almost as good as having Walt give it the all-clear.

jcruise86
06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Lasseter is the Chief Creative Officer at Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios and Principal Creative Advisor for Walt Disney Imagineering.

According to Wikipedia, he reports directly to Bob Iger, bypassing Disney's studio and theme parks executives. He also received green-light power on films with Roy E. Disney's consent.

I got the feeling from my class this year taught by Bruce Vaughn (Chief Creative Executive of WDI) that getting Lasseter's "blessing" on an attraction is almost as good as having Walt give it the all-clear.
That sounds like a pretty cool class, dznyphreak!

For anyone interested in John Lasseter and Pixar, I recommend The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company by David A. Price (available in paperback.) Here's a quote from it about Walt and about the Disney company in the era when Lasseter joined:

"He [Walt Disney] had been the first with talking animated films; he had been the first with full-color animation. He made the first American animated feature, Snow White, staking more than $1.4 million on it (around $19 million in present-day dollars) in the midst of the Great Depression. He had even reconceived the lowly amusement-park business as a storytelling medium.

"His company was now run at its top levels by men who understood themselves to be following his example, without understanding that his example consisted of bold strokes." (p. 51 of the paperback edition)

This book makes me think that if anyone should be sleeping in this suite these days it should be John Lasseter. He's extraordinary!

Lasseter fun fact: he "won back-to-back student Student Academy Awards for animation in 1979 and 1980." (p. 50 of The Pixar Touch)

I just hope Lasseter is making time in his busy schedule for some daily exercise. I'd like to him to be active at Disney for at least 15 more years and then enjoy life for longer than Walt was able to.

jkweitzel
06-11-2009, 07:37 PM
So basically...the guy is a pretty big deal.

oregontraveler
06-12-2009, 03:48 AM
YES... since Cast Member Matt (former park President Matt Ouimet) and his Vice president, Greg Emmer have left. John is the most obvious choice in carrying on Walt's vision. And being a former Jungle Cruise skipper, he knows how much the parks means to us fans.

petesimac
06-12-2009, 07:54 AM
YES... since Cast Member Matt (former park President Matt Ouimet) and his Vice president, Greg Emmer have left. John is the most obvious choice in carrying on Walt's vision. And being a former Jungle Cruise skipper, he knows how much the parks means to us fans.

Yup, John is Walt to Iger's Roy -- nice match! Thank god Eisner is gone.

Hannahbelle
06-12-2009, 08:06 AM
I live in the Bay Area (Pixar Studios is in Emeryville), so occasionally the local radio stations will have John Lasseter on as a guest. I L-O-V-E (love) listening to him when he is on the radio. Such a warm guy. He truly is a gem when it comes to Disney stuff/ attractions. He also worked closely with the Nemo submarine ride I believe along with Midway Mania. Its fun to listen to him on the radio too because he will tell the listeners things that you may not of known normally. Just thought Id share that. :-)

islandgirl71
07-01-2009, 04:16 AM
Just curious, since they aren't using it for the Dream give-away, what is the Dream Suite being used for these day's?

fairestoneofall
07-01-2009, 04:45 AM
Dunno...but it sure seemed like someone was up there June 11th when we were there for the media showing of F!

backsthepack
07-01-2009, 05:12 AM
It appeared to be occupied while we were there on the 19th of June. We were there for 4 days, but I didn't pay that much attention, only that particular day while we were in line for POTC.

Darkbeer
07-01-2009, 05:21 AM
They will still give it away on occasion, basically thru contest offered by Disney's Partners, such as the ongoing Honda Sweepstakes. The winner of the car also got a trip to Disneyland, which includes one night in the Dream Suite (and then 2 nights in one of the three Disney owned Hotels).

But the main use of the Dream Suite has been Senior Disney executives and some of the senior employees of the major marketing companies. John Lassister is a well known regular guest that uses the Dream Suite.

Sarah32384
07-01-2009, 05:22 AM
I would be willing to pay a pretty penny to be able to stay in there for one night!! =) I hope they opened the suite to be rented by the public one day.

pixar
07-01-2009, 07:12 AM
I would be willing to pay a pretty penny to be able to stay in there for one night!! =) I hope they opened the suite to be rented by the public one day.

I'm afraid that amount would be extremely high, considering supply (1 suite) and demand (everyone wants to stay there). My guess, at least $5k/night.

islandgirl71
07-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks for your response's. Yeah, that was my guess, Disney Exec's... I didn't make it to Disneyland last year, so I didn't have a shot at winning the night there, it would have been a dream come true for sure!!

Niwel
07-01-2009, 09:10 AM
They also have a contest for Cast Members every month, the prize is an overnight in the dream suite.

Osky
07-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I know they use it for things like the Make-a-Wish foundation as well.

OilBaron
08-23-2009, 10:28 AM
I have seen topics on this already, but that was back in Jan. I would like to know what they are currently doing with the Dream Suite?