PDA

View Full Version : Canoeing incidents... has a canoe ever flipped in the ROA?

Pages : [1] 2

disneyFREAK242
06-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I was just wondering and thought that it would be funny, if a canoe has ever flipped while doing a ride in DL or even WDW... it would be pretty disgusting to swim in that water though, gross. Or if anyone has ever even swam in it just for kicks.. haha...:D

Rufus T Firefly
06-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Unfortunately, two brothers drowned in the river, in 1973, while attempting to swim back from Tom Sawyer's Island.

Malcon10t
06-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Unfortunately, two brothers drowned in the river, in 1973, while attempting to swim back from Tom Sawyer's Island.
Only one of the brothers drowned, and it had nothing to do with canoes.

Rufus T Firefly
06-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Only one of the brothers drowned, and it had nothing to do with canoes.

You're right. I stand corrected.

disneylandgirl
06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Geeze... that's sad. I thought it was only a few feet deep?

disneyFREAK242
06-08-2009, 01:06 PM
oh ouch... i didn't mean for it to be a laugh... but yeah I thought that it was only a few feet deep?...

jMom
06-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Technically speaking, it takes about 6 inches of water to drown.

Many people panic and drown when they get into trouble in water.

Back to the OP, I have never seen a canoe go over. I have heard that someone was insane enough to try driving off the Mark Twain.

Malcon10t
06-08-2009, 04:30 PM
I think we figured out once it was about 6' deep, maybe a little deeper.

cynthia312
06-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Is the river really 6 feet deep!?!?! :eek: I hate water! Never gone on the canoes, never plan to.

AlbertaMinnie
06-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Never heard of a canoe flipping but our friends were on a raft returning from Tom Sawyers Island (now Pirates Lair) that was overloaded and started to sink under the water and people slipped off. It was the last raft of the night and they overpacked it. Everyone of course panicked but they really only got wet up to their knees - it happened while they were still close to shore. It was November though and they didn't have extra shoes so it kind of ruined the rest of the evening for them. Of course CMs came out to make sure everyone was ok and got names and information of everyone involved. Some people were really upset but our friends just kind of laughed at their unique experience! They were very surprised when they returned home and a week later there was a huge parcel in the mail from Disney - hoodies, t-shirts, and lots of other things for all four of them - what a surprise!

But back on topic....no, never heard any troubles with the canoes.

Malcon10t
06-08-2009, 05:57 PM
The kids "enjoyed" the canoes today. I waited with the dog, while my kids took the little ones (3, 4, adn 5yo) on the canoes. MDM says the kids took their paddling duties seriously. About half way, R (the 3yo) states "I can't keep going!!" She says the boat busted up laughing.

momuvseven
06-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Some people were really upset but our friends just kind of laughed at their unique experience! They were very surprised when they returned home and a week later there was a huge parcel in the mail from Disney - hoodies, t-shirts, and lots of other things for all four of them - what a surprise!

But back on topic....no, never heard any troubles with the canoes.

I would be willing to get my feet wet for a box full of surprises. :D

MouseVII
06-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Never heard of a canoe ever flipping over, but I have heard there are abandoned paddles that wash up on shore every now and then.

The reason I hear that the person drowned in the river was due to all the electrical cables and hoses that are down there, and that he just got tangled in them.

danyoung
06-09-2009, 08:21 AM
And he was pretty drunk . . .

MouseyEars
06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
CMs have told me there are leeches in the water......:eek:

Drince88
06-09-2009, 09:17 AM
In all the years that they've done the CM canoe races, I wouldn't be shocked if there had been a capsizeation at least once. Jeff Kober had a good article last week that included the story about his team running aground when he participated in the races

Andrew
06-09-2009, 09:46 AM
And then there were the Keel Boats, sometimes known as the Keel-Over Boats. They were closed in the mid-90s after one of the boats overturned due to, some say, improper loading.

AlbertaMinnie
06-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I would be willing to get my feet wet for a box full of surprises. :D

Me too - they got some really nice stuff! My kids always want to try and get the last raft of the day now hoping the incident will recreate itself! hahahahahaha - not very likely.

tod
06-10-2009, 05:57 PM
The canoes are wide and heavy, and unlikely to turn over. At least they were when I last went on them in 1976, paddling up a sweat while some pampered teenagers whined "I din't know ya hadda row" and didn't. That was the end of that for me.

I once talked with a CM who told me that when he used to get a group of rowdy college students they would hide by the Indian Village and when the next canoe came they would come blasting out and bump them, making them spin around, facing the wrong way... and the only place wide enough to turn around is by the Indian Village!

--t

smd4
06-11-2009, 07:31 AM
I once talked with a CM who told me that when he used to get a group of rowdy college students they would hide by the Indian Village and when the next canoe came they would come blasting out and bump them, making them spin around, facing the wrong way... and the only place wide enough to turn around is by the Indian Village!

--tOf course, it's quite possible to turn a canoe on its axis--one side paddling forward, one side paddling rearward. Trying to get guests to coordinate in that manner is probably another story.

bigrockstar
06-11-2009, 08:47 AM
The Canoes are one of my favorite rides! I've never seen or heard of them capsizing, but I do always manage to sit right behind a splasher. Last time, my right pant leg and shoe were soaked (no special surprises in the mail for me, though)! :p

mickey4ever
06-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Yes, my children are splashers and that is why I make sure to sit in FRONT of them and on the opposite side!!!! My DH usually always gets wet!:D

Matterhorn Yodeler
06-14-2009, 10:12 PM
The kids "enjoyed" the canoes today. I waited with the dog.

I was there on Monday with a guide dog puppy and took her on the canoes. I did see a yellow lab puppy (fairly small) with a CCI jacket on...was that you guys? We went on the same raft over to Tom Sawyer's Island. My puppy was a female yellow lab, 14 months old, wearing a yellow Guide Dogs of America jacket.

Malcon10t
06-15-2009, 09:44 AM
I was there on Monday with a guide dog puppy and took her on the canoes. I did see a yellow lab puppy (fairly small) with a CCI jacket on...was that you guys? We went on the same raft over to Tom Sawyer's Island. My puppy was a female yellow lab, 14 months old, wearing a yellow Guide Dogs of America jacket.Hey, we saw you! You had the "Sponsered by Paramont" on her jacket?

Our pup kept getting distracted wanting to look at your pup and MDM was working on keeping her focus on us, so didn't get to say hi. Our pup is a teeny thing, even though she is coming up on 11 mos. Her brother (whom we also raised) just graduated and he is a very lean 85lbs. This baby is going to top out at 40lbs.

Matterhorn Yodeler
06-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Hey, we saw you! You had the "Sponsered by Paramont" on her jacket?

Yes, that was me! I had "borrowed" the puppy from another puppy raiser, who wanted Emmy to get the Disneyland experience. She's 14 months old and they are actually considering her for a breeder. She did an excellent job, was very focused and I was amazed at her energy. She kept up the entire day.

The puppy that I had recently raised went in for training just about a month ago, so I miss him a whole bunch. I've been getting my puppy "fix" by puppy sitting other dogs. I'll start with a new one of my own in August!

Glad to have run into you, at least from afar!