PDA

View Full Version : No Line Wait? [HCA Lines]

OSUfan
06-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi,

A family member is going to DL next week and said that they are renting an ECV -scooter for the week as they are having really serious back problems and cannot walk for very long. Soooo, they were saying that they will not have to wait in ANY lines and will automatically go right to the front? Is that really true?:eek:

IdahoMike
06-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Incorrect. Guests with an ECV may use the handicapped entrance on some rides, others they have to go through the queue. Some attractions it shortens the wait considerably, others it may be longer (Pirates for example). So, the answer would be no, it is not a front of the line pass, but it can make the wait less for some attractions.

Hey, is the OSU in OSUfan Oregon State? If so, Go Beavs!

Malcon10t
06-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi, I use an ECV. We just returned from Disneyland less than an hour ago. The Standby line showed 10 minutes for Space Mountain, fastpass was walk on, and the wait was about 20 minutes for the HA line. People often believe the myth that ECVs will get them right on.

Also, if your friend is having serious back issues, you should really recommend they not ride the rides that have the warnings. I don't ride Indy, Star Tours, or Matterhorn because it makes my back act up. I love those rides, but it isn't a good idea for people with back issues.

To clarify further, Pirates limits the number of "wheelchairs" on the rides at any time to 6 for evac purposes. This means every 15 minutes, 6 wheelchair groups will be loaded. The standby line can be 15 minutes, and handle a couple thousand guests, but only 6 will be wheelchair users. Same for IASW. There can only be 1 per Monorail and 1 per railroad train. If there is someone already on, you will wait til a train comes that doesn't have the HA car taken. Haunted Mansion allows 1 group per cycle.

Many rides (and ALL of DCA) are accessible so they will use the regular line. (Buzz, Matterhorn, and Roger Rabbit are a couple off the top of my head.)

We were once waiting for Matterhorn. We had gone through the line and then entered the HA gate. Another family comes up to the gate without waiting in the line and the cast member explained they needed to go through the regular line. The mother actually said "Well, what was the use to renting the wheelchair if we cant go to te front of the line?"

Boo's Mommy
06-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Dh has an EVC, he has foot problems - lines are often longer wait, but at least he's sitting in the EVC.

MammaSilva
06-07-2009, 10:08 PM
An additional little tidbit, all the queues at DCA are HCA accessible so no 'front of the line' over there either...the ONLY people who get 'front of the line' passes are those children from a Make a Wish type program...and I doubt anyone would begrudge those families a bit of special treatment.

adriennek
06-08-2009, 08:23 AM
We were once waiting for Matterhorn. We had gone through the line and then entered the HA gate. Another family comes up to the gate without waiting in the line and the cast member explained they needed to go through the regular line. The mother actually said "Well, what was the use to renting the wheelchair if we cant go to te front of the line?"

I've told this story before but someone I know (I choose not to disclose the relationship - it's a true story, I really do know this person,) had a relative with a broken leg/ankle, I can't remember which. What I remember was that this person needed to use a wheelchair to go to DLR and the person I know said "Hey, let's go to DCA! We won't have to wait in lines!!"

Well, the trip report we got was a bunch of complaining that they HAD to use the regular lines because they were/are accessible.

Darn ADA, making the world ACCESSIBLE. ;)

Adrienne

OSUfan
06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. I did not think that this was true either, but I wanted to let my family know what to expect as far as line waits go. It sounded a bit too good to be true, and I would think that people would just rent a wheelchair, ECV, etc., just to not have to wait in lines. I have given them advice on what I would not ride with a bad back too, so thank you for your information I really appreciate it all.

Yes-the OSU is for Oregon State! We are football season ticket holders and die hard fans - (even if they are not winning)