PDA

View Full Version : Cast Member respect

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

rexfarms
01-05-2003, 01:15 AM
Dear fellow MousePlanet/Pader,

At the moment I am feeling aggravated. I just had a discussion with somebody online that claims to be a Premium Annual Passholder to the Disneyland Resort. In my book they would be considered Pesky Passholders. Let me tell you what happened.

First we started talking about the Resort. As the conversation progressed the person said that they ticked off some Cast Members. I explained this to them. Cast Members make your Resort visit magical. Without the magic that the Cast Members put into their work, I don’t think that the Disneyland Resort would be as great as it is. Myself being a Premium Annual Passholder I feel that guests, especially Annual Passholders have a responsibility. I feel that we should make sure that we make the Cast Member’s jobs as easy and peaceful as possible. I know that I am especially kind to Cast Members and try to help them. I get into conversations with them. I even help pick up trash to make the Resort more beautiful. I most of all try to make their jobs more enjoyable.

Looking at things from the Cast Member’s side I am saddened. Some Annual Passholders expect more just because they paid more money for their ticket. This is just not fair and there should be no Pesky Passholders for the Cast Members to deal with. Cast Members do so much for us, I feel we should do something nice back to them. Cast Members who have been with the Mouse for a long time are getting treated worse then when they joined up with Disney. They should really be getting treated better. I know that the Disney Company is a difficult one to work for but the Cast Members make it look so easy. They do a great job at what they do.

I know many Cast Members have taken the time to remember my name. I thank them for making my visit much more enjoyable and magical. I respect you. Tell me Cast Members is there anything else as an Annual Passholder, as a guest, as a person that I can do to help spread this message and to make it easier for you? I feel very sad and aggravated at some of the guests that don’t appreciate what these excellent Cast Members do. So here I am, very upset asking two things. One, please any guests that read this that visit the Resort please treat Cast Members kindly and help make their jobs more enjoyable. And two, dear Cast Members, what can I do to further make your job easier?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully there will be some replies to help Cast Members. Cast Members, from the newest to the ones that have been with Disney for the longest time, from the least noticed to the President of the Disney Parks, thank you very much for changing my life by making my visits to the Disneyland Resort very, very magical. Thank you Cast Members and thank you MousePlanet/Pad.

If anybody would like to privately contact me, please feel free to Private Message me or E-mail me. Once again thank you for your time.

-Nicholas
rexfarms@yahoo.com

MammaSilva
01-05-2003, 05:34 AM
Rexfarms, I totally agree with you! CM's are what "make" DLR the standard IMHO....from the ones checking the bags at the gates to the sweepers, I've been to enough amusement parks, zoos, theaters ....entertainment venues to be able to make an informed opinion on the various levels of guest service and the CM's at the DLR are hands down the best....I know that there has been discussions of late about a decrease in the "quality" of CM's but in my book you reap what you sow! How hard is it to say thank you to that person as they take your ticket or to say thank you to the CM that is loading/unloading the attraction you're on ? I have a premium AP and the only time someone sees it is at the gate or when I am using it for my discount at a restaurant or store, other wise I act like each visit is my first time with a CM, by that I don't mean the lost tourist but that I express my appreciation for the part they play in making it magical for us. I never take for granted that poor CM dealing with demanding guests in front of me that insist THEY don't have to wait because they have an SAP or because they have an AP....I will go even further to be nice/appreciative when I see them treated poorly. Some people are so self centered that for some bizzare reason they forget that the person in costume assisting them have feelings, have been working several hours dealing with all sorts of guests and feel that each one is there to serve THEM exclusively :( those folks need to go hang at a Six Flags park for a few days, they'd come back to the DLR and kiss the feet of the CM's they meet!

Kevin Yee
01-05-2003, 06:06 AM
One of the best things anyone can do (though it's most likely to be an AP who actually does it) is approach a CM who has just been through a difficult situation and sympathize with them.

That "difficult situation" might mean an annoyed guest, or an annoying guest, or even a "pesky passholder." But whatever the irritation, I find a great deal of satisfaction in soothing the CM by complimenting her/him on dealing with the situation properly.

Plus I know from experience that the CM is greatly encouraged by such pleasant "followups" of Guests. Otherwise, the nasty encounter would have lingered in the CM's mind all day. Now, the CM is happy all day, because someone noticed their efforts.

PurpleDove33
01-05-2003, 07:47 AM
One time not so long ago while I was at City Hall waiting to pick up my SAP, there was a situation that required the CM to take the guest that was being a pain and that was yelling in the other room and close the door. Well there were so many people in there that it took me a few to get to the front to get my SAP. By the time I got up there, the CM that had been in the other room had come back and you could see that they were stressed. I just went out of my way to try and make them feel better. And even though I wasn't listening to what had just happened, I just wanted to help them to shake off what had just happened to them. And when I did she was so grateful, that she turned around and gave me one of her nice pins off her lanyard. I wasn't expecting that, but I am always happy to say something to make the CM feel good. I also take the time when a Disney sweeper comes by to say thank you for doing such a great job keeping our park so nice and clean. IMO, they don't get thanked enough.

ldsguy
01-05-2003, 09:16 AM
I do agree that we should try and treat the CMs as we would like to be treated, heck we should do that for everyone, but I also feel that CMs that somehow know, beit if they see us frequently or what not, that we are Annual Pass Holders shouldn't treat us any worse than anyone else, this hasn't seemed to be as much of an issue as it used to be and when I find a CM that goes out of thier way for any guest, be it me or someone else, I will almost always go to Guest Relations/City Hall and let them know, yes there are times where complaints are nessecary, but I think we often times do too much of that and without the compliments how can the appropriate management know who's doing the best job?

DrumCorpsChick
01-05-2003, 11:32 PM
I created an account here just so I could respond to this...
So far, I haven't noticed any differences between the way a cast member treats a pass holder and a regular guest...err, one whom isn't a pass holder. Actually, I take that back. I have noticed cast members act differently around people that tend to stalk certain locations...Anyway, here are my tips on what not to do to a cast member...Please do not yell at your children in front of them. Especially when you are about to place an order or are standing in front of them. If you cold only see the faces of the poor cast members...it's a look of pure fright. Don't become aggrivated when they can't find what you're looking for. It's always their fault. And it's not thier fault if you miss the fireworks because the line was too long. Hmmmm, another thing isknow what you're ordering...it's easy...when you're in the drive through at mcdonalds, you don't pull up to the speaker and say "Ummmm, what's a hamburger? What's a cheeseburger? Kids, what do you want?" It's just wise to know what you want...Let's see....is there anything else...Oh yes...complaining to them about everything is not going to change things. It's not their fault the line is long, it's not their fault the person who gave you the "No Strings Attatched" voucher for when you complained the first time was not specific about what you receive, and it's not their fault that you are tired. Complaining is the easiest way to offend a cast member. I think that's about it...Basically, just be polite. That's the easiest thing to do. Understand that cast members have had just as stressful of a day as you have had. And be especially understanding on holidays...you're there spending the holiday with your family...they've left their family at home to serve you.
That's what I have to say...hope i didn't offend anyone or anything... :)

Laffite
01-06-2003, 02:12 AM
Why sure, the pAP people have this reputation at being the "pesky" ones, so I'm all for changing that image :) And I agree that some CMs really try. Even when they're tired into the night they still try and do their job top notch (or at least somewhere there abouts). Kudos to them, and I really respect them.

Preston

ldsguy
01-06-2003, 07:50 AM
I agree, I really don't envy the CMs, at least the ones that really do try to do thier jobs, as much as we complain, I do think we shouldn't yell at the CMs, but we do need to let them know if we see a kid that is yelling for thier mom and is obviously lost and the CM is ignoring the kid.....sorry, this one still bugs me I have seen it happen twice now. But we can do so in a kind manner, but also we should thank them, esp. when they are doing an exceptional job.

Doodle Duck
01-06-2003, 12:05 PM
'Please' and 'Thank' You go a LONG way. It most times works wonders in the most stressful situations.

They don't get tips for assistance so the LEAST we can do is say 'Thank You'.

We are good Delux Pass Holders...why would anyone be other than that? We have a wonderful FREE place to play (actually Two FREE Places to play)

You're not paying more...your paying LESS after a few visits. And DCA is FREE from the get go!
I can understand the frustration of 'tourists' who are trying to get in as much as possible in ONE hectic day...but a pass holder who comes often?? Give me a break. I'll get in THIER face in a N.Y. minute if I see them abusing a CM.

rexfarms
01-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Thank you everybody that has replied to this thread. If I am not already doing the things you mentioned to CMs then I will start. Cast Members I hope that you appreciate some of the things the nice guests do for you guys, because I know we appreciate you.

For all CMs that have posted on here, where do you guys work that I can say hi and thank each of you personally.:) :( :confused:

bluepearl
01-06-2003, 06:49 PM
There's not much I wanted to address in this post, but I just wanted to say that a smile really goes a LONG way. I often have days where I feel completely unappreciated, but when I help a guest find something with their favorite character or something they've been searching for, their smile and thank you makes me feel better about my job. I was helping a guest the weekend following Christmas who was purchasing something for herself and I suggested a top to match the PJ bottoms (she didn't see the matching items; another shirt was hiding them) and when I found one for her, she was really happy about it. I thought nothing of it, but the fact that she reacted in such a way adds to the positive memories I'll have as a CM. I think it also applies to CMs visiting as guests (or at special events) - we all know what it's like to be on the other side of the fence, so empathy goes a very long way.

Pan Flyer
01-06-2003, 11:11 PM
See, this is why I take every chance I get (but they aren't many nowadays) to just tell these idiots to SHUT. THE. H3LL. UP! and be glad they don't have to deal with trash like themselves daily. Lighten up. It's an amusement park for chrissakes.
Punks.

AVP
01-07-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Pan Flyer
See, this is why I take every chance I get (but they aren't many nowadays) to just tell these idiots to SHUT. THE. H3LL. UP! and be glad they don't have to deal with trash like themselves daily. Lighten up. It's an amusement park for chrissakes.
Punks.

Pan Flyer,

Welcome to MousePad. I see that this is your second post, and we're glad to have you participating. Hopefully you've had a chance to read the Community Policies (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=1#policy) that we ask all posters to abide by. One of the requirements is that
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this message board to post any material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, libelous, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, threatening, an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. And, of course, there's always the MousePad Prime Directive:
In other words, don't be a trouble-maker.
We ask that you not self-censor a word to get around our language filter. While "hell" is not one of our banned words, and there was no need to censor it, it's a bad habit to get into here.

Thanks!

AVP

mystycalchyk
01-07-2003, 08:00 AM
well i have to say, the ONLY time ive ever even been in the city hall with the exception of once has been to fill out a compliment card on a CM. i just always feel the SOMEone needs to know that i was treated well or kindly or in some way exemplory of what Walt would have wanted.
i would really like to know though, what happens when i fill out that card? does the CM get notification? a raise? recognition or anything? i hope its not in vain, although i still will do it, it just makes me feel better.

oh and BTW that one and only time i spoke of that i was in city hall for something other than to fill out a compliment card was simply to get a fast pass for the mansion when it broke down during the ride....other than that, its ALWAYS been to compliment a CM.

MammaSilva
01-07-2003, 08:17 AM
another thing I try to do is carry a couple of the WWWD pins....I won't post a link since they no longer advertise here at MP (at least I haven't seen it lately) but when a CM goes way over the top I love to be able to hand it direct to them.. I have never seen one on any CM lanyard so I suppose they aren't officially allowed to wear them but still it lets them know that I really appreciate what they do! Sadly I blew it and didn't replenish my stash before our last trip and we had several CM's that were mightly deserving of recognition so I had to settle for thanking them personally then going to City Hall and filling out the compliment cards....

rexfarms
01-07-2003, 09:33 AM
What I do, is I make my own cards. First I thank the CM, then I give them my card, then I tell City Hall at the end of the day. I keep a list of every CM that has been very nice/helpful.:)

Berry Princess
01-07-2003, 10:41 AM
I always thank CMs. I have told quite a few to keep up the good work they are doing. We are PAPs and my 4 yr old has a name tag and wears it whenever we go and they always have made our visits just a little more special in some way. He loves when they say hi to him and use his name. I always thank the CMs for that special time. I am a bit annoyed with what I read in the Mousetales section though. At the end it had a part about CMs and there was one saying something about the Disney U. and the 2nd day the person told them

the good-looking girls get the easy jobs in the department. He also asked if anyone was an Annual Passholder (he said they are the biggest troublemakers and complainers in the two parks)
Right here is drawing a line between the APs and the CMs that is just wrong. I would really love to know how many APs are such big complainers. I know I really don't see it when I am there and have not heard other APs say they have any complaints. I do think that CMs should always be treated kindly by APs and any other kind of visitor to the parks. BUT as well the CMs should treat all that way too. I know from jobs I have had how hard it can be to keep that happy face on with those that complain and don't stop no matter what you do to fix whatever or say so I have alot of respect for those that do it and move on and keep doing the same job they had been without a problem and taking it out on others.
To all CMs reading thank you to those that do the great job you are suppose to and for taking the little extra time for making it a little more special for some of us. :)

Berry Princess
01-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by rexfarms
What I do, is I make my own cards. First I thank the CM, then I give them my card, then I tell City Hall at the end of the day. I keep a list of every CM that has been very nice/helpful.:)

I like this idea! Of course for me I usually don't have the time to go to City Hall at the end of the day but I have always sent an email or called the next day to say something about them. I think I may just make my own cards up to give them. Thanks for that rexfarms!!

stitcher
01-07-2003, 09:11 PM
another thing I try to do is carry a couple of the WWWD pins....

oooh oooh oooh I got one of those one time. I had knelt down to talk to a little boy about his day at the Disneyland Resort. I didn't really understand a single word he said but I pretended to by half listneing to his sister. Anyway he was motioning and babbling and after our "conversation" was over the dad tapped me on the shoulder just before walking away and said "Thank You". At first glance I thought it was a WWJD pin, but I realized quickly that it said WWWD. I didn't recieve an official compliment for it, and never saw a post, but I was more than happy with just receiving that. I wish we could wear them(as far as I know we can't display them), though I try to sneak it on every so often.

corrinhorn
01-07-2003, 09:11 PM
As a former APer turned cast member, I have to say that Sometimes, APer's do get a Bit annoying, but they are usually the ones that think they are paying my wage. In a very small way they are right, but only about 2 cents of it per year... so I usually So I let them pass and get them out of my line as fast as possible so they don't disturb other guests...

Originally posted by ldsguy
... but we do need to let them know if we see a kid that is yelling for thier mom and is obviously lost and the CM is ignoring the kid.....sorry, this one still bugs me I have seen it happen twice now. But we can do so in a kind manner, but also we should thank them, esp. when they are doing an exceptional job.

I know personally, speaking as an outdoor vendor, that I don't always hear the kid yelling "MOM" Being an outdoor vendor we hear yelling children all the time. I just plain don't hear them much. The sound of a lost child yelling mom sounds a lot like a child yelling Mom because there is something in a store they want that "mom" said they couldn't get. Just let us know...99% of the cast members have no problem doing whatever they can to help a lost child. That is my opinion...Hope it helps...:D

ryguy
01-07-2003, 09:27 PM
i work retail and know how people can be so i try to be as easy goin as possible with the cms, trust me guests or customers can get under your skin and ruin your whole day with their ignorance

ldsguy
01-07-2003, 11:04 PM
As a former APer turned cast member, I have to say that Sometimes, APer's do get a Bit annoying, but they are usually the ones that think they are paying my wage. In a very small way they are right, but only about 2 cents of it per year... so I usually So I let them pass and get them out of my line as fast as possible so they don't disturb other guests...

quote:Originally posted by ldsguy
... but we do need to let them know if we see a kid that is yelling for thier mom and is obviously lost and the CM is ignoring the kid.....sorry, this one still bugs me I have seen it happen twice now. But we can do so in a kind manner, but also we should thank them, esp. when they are doing an exceptional job.

I know personally, speaking as an outdoor vendor, that I don't always hear the kid yelling "MOM" Being an outdoor vendor we hear yelling children all the time. I just plain don't hear them much. The sound of a lost child yelling mom sounds a lot like a child yelling Mom because there is something in a store they want that "mom" said they couldn't get. Just let us know...99% of the cast members have no problem doing whatever they can to help a lost child. That is my opinion...Hope it helps...

I know, most do, but in both cases it was security CMs and that really bugged me, I mean that's a specific part of thier job description......I understand things like ODV maybe not hearing, but security is trained to pay attention to these things....incidently, I believe the ones that finally did come to Aide were people that work in ODV, and security walks right past and the kid was yelling/crying "Where's my mommy?"

But I know, these are the exceptions not the rule, but it bugs me when I see it happen twice like that, I am sorry if that's wrong, but I believe that the lost kids should be helped as quickly as possible.....like I said, I believe it was people that worked for ODV that came to help, one that I know was off duty, as she had purse and such....I know worked for ODV, because I had seen her at a cart.

And of course my thanks go out to those that did stop to help, esp. the one that was off duty, never did get any of the names of any of the CMs involved unfortunately, or I would have gone in and complimented the ones for stopping to help.

stitcher
01-08-2003, 10:50 AM
I know whenever I hear crying, I check it out. If the kid is with their parents and I have time, I'll try to cheer them up. But if their alone I immediately srping into action.:)

Doodle Duck
01-08-2003, 11:11 AM
I too was a bit ticked off hearing that in the training somebody that SHOULD KNOW BETTER was alerting the newbies as to problems with APers being troublemakers.
I got my first pass in 1995...I have yet to make ONE single complaint and NEVER any trouble for anybody as I'm sure MOST APers do not cause problems either. This trainer is a jerk, a MORON and UN-Disney and should be FIRED. Period.
Or get me his name and I'll make my FIRST complaint with management.

Berry Princess
01-08-2003, 11:57 AM
I got my first pass in 1995...I have yet to make ONE single complaint and NEVER any trouble for anybody as I'm sure MOST APers do not cause problems either. This trainer is a jerk, a MORON and UN-Disney and should be FIRED. Period.

I emailed Disney on this. I have yet to hear back from them but I know it can take a few days (or weeks). I don't complain about things there unless its MAJOR. And I have yet to have that happen. I was thinking about it but the only complaint so far I have had was the guy in the parking structure being a jerk and yelling at people for nothing. The other was the CM I asked about the smoking section cause we were waiting for a parade along with a ton of other families and these 2 older guys (that did know better..you could tell they go enough to know there are smoking sections) and she told them they needed to go to the section but one of the guys asked if they could just finish right there and she said yes. Sorry but that was wrong on her part. I emailed Disney on that. I was pregnant at the time and had my 4 yr old with me. It just wasn't cool. All those other kids and parents around as well. But that has been such a small percentage compared to all the good that we have had happen that the bad doesn't even matter. I do think they should NOT try the CMs that way because it is VERY UN-Disney like. Like I said all guests (APers or not) and all CMs (bad or good) should be treating each other with respect. But I do feel that if they are training them to think this way it causes ALOT of problems and probably has already.